This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Appetizers/ Recipes/ Sauces & Condiments/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Better-Than-Trader-Joe’s Edamame Hummus

Better-Than-Trader-Joe's Edamame Hummus Recipe

Better-Than-Trader-Joe's Edamame Hummus
I started working on this knock-off Trader Joe’s edamame hummus recipe two weeks ago. And then on Sunday, my husband and I decided on a whim to stop by Trader Joe’s on the way home from the farmers market.

Guess what? Trader Joe’s doesn’t even sell edamame hummus anymore. Or at least ours doesn’t. Horror! I love their edamame hummus. It was quite possibly my most favorite item sold by Trader Joe’s, after they cruelly stopped selling my beloved Middle East Feast. Oh yes, there was much gnashing of teeth and mumbled cursing in the refrigerated section of the Raleigh Trader Joe’s last weekend. Trader Joe’s! Stop introducing products just to take them away from us! You’re toying with people’s lives!

Cooked EdamameAbout the Recipe

But! Like I said, I had been working on making my own edamame hummus recipe anyway. And dare I say, I think it might just be better than Trader Joe’s edamame hummus? Yes, I dare say it! While I always loved the flavor of the Trader Joe’s version, I found it to be a tad too oily. My version cuts down on the oil and adds a boost of flavor with fresh herbs.

Edamame Hummus with Celery and Purple Bell Pepper
I can never get hummus right when I make it with chickpeas, but edamame works so much better. And it doesn’t have that bean-y taste that you sometimes get with chickpeas. This is good!

My favorite way to use edamame hummus is as a sandwich spread. I don’t like mayo or mustard, so edamame hummus makes a great substitute. We had it on flatbread and topped it with roasted summer veggies for an easy weeknight meal. And of course, any kind of hummus is great as a dip for fresh vegetables, pita bread, or crackers.

Edamame Hummus & Roasted Veggie Sandwiches
So take that, Trader Joe’s! I don’t need your edamame hummus anymore! (But if you want to start carrying it again, that would be cool.)

Better-Than-Trader-Joe’s Edamame Hummus

Better-Than-Trader-Joe's Edamame Hummus Recipe

An edamame hummus made with lemon juice and fresh herbs. It’s even better than the kind Trader Joe’s makes!

• Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
Scale

• 1 cup cooked edamame
  • 1/4 cupΒ tahini
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 2 tbsp fresh herbs, coarsely choppedΒ (optionalβ€”I used rosemary, thyme, and basil)
  • 2 tbspΒ olive oil (add more if you like your hummus creamier)
  • salt, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)

1. Combine edamame, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs in food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Drizzle olive oil through feed tube, continuing to process until oil is fully incorporated.
  4. Season with salt to taste and serve.

My husband and I had a disagreement over this hummus; I liked using 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, while he thought it was too lemony like that. So if you want your edamame hummus extra lemony, add another tablespoon of lemon juice.

This post was originally published on 13 September 2012.

Kathy
    September 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm

That sounds fantastic! I love both edamame and hummus.

Christa
    September 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I need to try this so badly! I LOVE edamame!

Rachel
    September 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

OM, I have died and gone to sammich heaven.

September 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

Ha ha, sammich. I used to say that until I decided to shift to sang-a-wich.

Jenn
    September 16, 2012 at 10:37 pm

And here I was, all excited to try and make regular hummus this week. Now I want to make it like this! I just found organic no GMO edamame at my grocery store last week too

September 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

You can make them both! πŸ˜€

September 17, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I love edamame hummus – I usually just get the storebought kind whenever I see it (I think I may have found the one from Trader Joe’s when I visited!). I like that it has such a different flavour than regular hummus, although I don’t have any problem with the beany taste of chickpea hummus! This would definitely make a great fresh tasting spread for sandwiches or wraps!

September 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love the flavor of chickpea hummus when I get it at restaurants, but when I make it at home it is SO beany. Like it tastes like the smell when you open a can of beans. Even when I make it with dried beans! I don’t know what I’m doing wrong…

September 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hmm…maybe my hummus always tastes beany too, but I’ve just never really noticed! It must be a personal taste thing

Jenn
    September 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hi Kiersten,

Thank you for another great recipe! I love hummus and I love edamame but I never had edamame hummus until this weekend. I have now made it twice. So easy, so yummy and so versatile! The second time I made it, I upped the basil and garlic a little because the basil was going to go bad. It tasted like a mix of hummus and pesto. I will most definitely be making edamame hummus allot in the future.

September 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Woo hoo, I am so glad you liked it enough to make it twice! I love the idea of making a hummus/pesto mashup. I wonder if it would be good on pasta? Or would that be weird? πŸ˜‰

Virginia
    September 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This is all so weird! Guess what i just had for lunch? Trade Joe’s Edamame Hummus. How serendipitous, especially considering I thought I was buying Trader Joe’s Guacamole Hummus. I didn’t realize I’d grabbed the wrong container until I got home. But it was a delicious mistake. I never had it before. I’ll have to try your recipe. It sounds easy and yummy.

September 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

Well, you’re lucky that yours still sells that hummus! πŸ˜€ It is so good, right? Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Guacamole Hummus at ours either–my husband would be all over that!

rachel
    October 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

THANK YOU! i loved their edamame hummus.

Virginia Kahler-Anderson, aka HomeRearedChef
    October 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I LOVE edamame, I also very much like hummus (I love garbanzo beans), but I don’t see how I can go wrong with your recipe here. Thank you!
    ~Virginia

October 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

If you love hummus and edamame, you will love this recipe too! πŸ™‚

January 21, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hello Kiersten….. I stumbled upon this recipe and it looks so yummy.I love the edammame hummus from TJ’s but you are right it’s a bit oily. Love the picture of edammame hummus/ veggie flatbread stacks. I also like that you made it into a coarse texture, I don’t like the very smooth textured hummus, will give your recipe a try.

January 21, 2013 at 8:51 am

I hope you enjoy it if you make it! πŸ™‚ This is definitely my favorite hummus recipe now.

Adriana
    January 26, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I made this today and it was delicious. Used it as both a dip and instead of mayo on my veggie burger. It has such a great taste, will definitely make it again. Only used basil & rosemary but will try to add thyme in my next batch. Thanks for the recipe!

January 28, 2013 at 9:25 am

I love using this hummus on my veggie burgers too! I’m glad you enjoyed it. πŸ™‚

Marianna
    February 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm

This looks amazing!! Do you think I could substitute greek yogurt in place of the tahini?

February 28, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I haven’t tried it myself, but I think another reader mentioned doing it and said that it worked out well (although it will change the flavor of the hummus!).

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian
    April 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Oh wow.. I knew this would be amazing when I saw the link in “you may also like…”
    Thanks for the endless inspiration Kiersten!!

April 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I can only get inauthentic hummus to turn out well! πŸ™‚

Lindsey
    April 8, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I just made this, and it was AMAZING! I used the juice of 2 lemons, the zest of a half a lemon, and 2 tablespoons of basil. SO GOOD. Thanks for saving me a trip to the grocery!

April 9, 2013 at 11:59 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! πŸ˜€

Heather
    July 27, 2013 at 2:40 pm

My hubby and I love love love TJ’s edamame hummus. Ours still carries it. However, I went on line looking for a recipe for edamame hummus in order to try and replicate the TJ’s version myself. (Less expensive, less packaging, healthier and cheaper) Too funny and serendipitous to come across your post πŸ™‚
    I plan on making it today.

July 28, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Okay, you know what’s REALLY FREAKY? I got this comment on my phone in the parking lot of Trader Joe’s. And I rarely go there because it’s 40 minutes away. Weird! Luckily, our TJ’s sells the edamame hummus again (yay!), but I still like my version better because it’s a little less oily.

Sarah
    August 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I just wanted to say, I live in Chinatown and coming by tahini is kind of hard, so I just wanted to let everyone know that I got Chinese sesame paste and it works in place of the tahini in this recipe. The flavor is a little more “roasty” than plain tahini (the Chinese sesame paste is made from toasted sesame seeds), but it tastes great in this FABULOUS hummus recipe! To substitute it, just put in a little under 1/8 of a cup instead of the 1/4 cup of tahini.

August 7, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Ooh, that sounds tasty! I’m going to have to look for it next time I’m at the Chinese market. Thanks for the tip!

heather
    November 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This came out fabulous. The only fresh herb i had on hand was parsley and it worked beautiful. Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

November 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Thank you for your comment–I’m glad you enjoyed it! πŸ™‚

ed hand
    December 28, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Try making this in a mortar and pestle. The result is much more lumpy and it is fun to make at a party.
    I use an M&P that is made from Mexican lava rock.

December 31, 2013 at 11:15 am

Great tip–thanks!

RIck
    January 5, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I, too, really really enjoy Trader Joe’s version. They still sell it here in Milwaukee.

So your version is really good. I ended up having to add a ton more olive oil and lemon juice to improve the consistency. But I used a blender rather than a food processor, so maybe that’s the difference.

Thank you for the recipe.

January 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! It is a little bit thicker than the Trader Joe’s version, but like you said, adding extra olive oil helps that if you like it smoother.

Laura Holland
      July 17, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I too loved the TJ’s version and was so disappointed when it disappeared last month. I decided to make my own, looked up a recipe and tried this one first. It’s great, but I agree with Rick above, and added a bunch more olive oil and used the juice of a whole lemon to get the right consistency. Dip fresh snap peas in it or it’s excellent on a dill Triscuit. Thanks for this recipe…it works.

Kiersten Frase
        July 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Yes, you do have to add more liquid if you like the TJ’s consistency. I skimp on the olive oil when I make it. πŸ™‚

Olivia Lane
    February 24, 2014 at 10:34 pm

yummy! i made this with a sauteed onion and garlic and dried herbs. so good! thanks for this recipe.

Kiersten Frase
      February 25, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Thanks for your comment–I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Masha
    April 3, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I just yesterday discovered TJ’s edamame hummus, and since almost finished the container all by my self. Had it on bread and on a bagel…and just with a spoon. Totally addicted….except that TJ’s is half an hour from me. So I promptly Googled for the recipe. Luckily I have all the ingridiants so I’ll be making it for church this weekend for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Kiersten Frase
      April 7, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Isn’t it SO GOOD?! I love that stuff. I use it on sandwiches instead of mayo too. I hope you enjoy the homemade version! πŸ™‚

Canda
    April 26, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Just made this, tastes sooo good, blended in some toadtede kale chips

Gavin Perry Henthorn
    May 26, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hello from a TJ employee. I admit I didn’t read the comments. I want to say that for the past eight years since I’ve been with the company that Trader Joe’s has indeed sold Edamame Hummus. Some regions have different products and it could be coincidental that you may live in a region that doesn’t sell it. I can vouch for the East Coast. I hope that we see you in our stores again soon!

Kiersten Frase
      May 27, 2014 at 7:15 pm

They don’t always have it at ours – sometimes I’m lucky and find it, other times, no dice! Thanks for your comment. πŸ™‚

Faye Carr
    June 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I’m a backyard farmer and grow my own edamame’ – this season ran long but some of the edamame pods had blemishes. That make them poor candidates for freezing, even though the beans inside are just fine.

Went looking for something to do with 4 pounds of them! Found your recipe.

Delicious! I’m taking some to our next food security meeting and will print some cards with your name, website & this incredible dish!

You can check out my place on Facebook at MF FARMette

Kiersten Frase
      June 9, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe – and thank you for spreading the word about Oh My Veggies! πŸ™‚

Caroline
    June 29, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Both of my local Trader Joe’s have not been carrying the edamame hummus for a few weeks now– which led me straight to this recipe. I have to say I was skeptical when I read that this edamame hummus would be better than Trader Joe’s- as that has been my favourite store-bought hummus for ages! However, any reservations I had have now been eliminated- this hummus surpassed my expectations one thousand times over!! I used more lemon juice than the recipe called for, and used cilantro and basil for herbs- to suit my own palate. I HIGHLY recommend this recipe- it is cheaper than store bought hummus and honestly tastes magnificent- much better than any store bought edamame hummus I have ever had. Thank you so much for posting this! I plan on sharing it with everyone!!

Kiersten Frase
      June 30, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Mine has it sometimes, and other times they don’t and there’s not even a sign for it – it’s very strange. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe and plan on sharing it!

1 2 3