This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Appetizers/ Recipes/ Sauces & Condiments/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Better-Than-Trader-Joe’s Edamame Hummus

Better-Than-Trader-Joe's Edamame Hummus Recipe

Better-Than-Trader-Joe's Edamame Hummus
I started working on this knock-off Trader Joe’s edamame hummus recipe two weeks ago. And then on Sunday, my husband and I decided on a whim to stop by Trader Joe’s on the way home from the farmers market.

Guess what? Trader Joe’s doesn’t even sell edamame hummus anymore. Or at least ours doesn’t. Horror! I love their edamame hummus. It was quite possibly my most favorite item sold by Trader Joe’s, after they cruelly stopped selling my beloved Middle East Feast. Oh yes, there was much gnashing of teeth and mumbled cursing in the refrigerated section of the Raleigh Trader Joe’s last weekend. Trader Joe’s! Stop introducing products just to take them away from us! You’re toying with people’s lives!

Cooked EdamameAbout the Recipe

But! Like I said, I had been working on making my own edamame hummus recipe anyway. And dare I say, I think it might just be better than Trader Joe’s edamame hummus? Yes, I dare say it! While I always loved the flavor of the Trader Joe’s version, I found it to be a tad too oily. My version cuts down on the oil and adds a boost of flavor with fresh herbs.

Edamame Hummus with Celery and Purple Bell Pepper
I can never get hummus right when I make it with chickpeas, but edamame works so much better. And it doesn’t have that bean-y taste that you sometimes get with chickpeas. This is good!

My favorite way to use edamame hummus is as a sandwich spread. I don’t like mayo or mustard, so edamame hummus makes a great substitute. We had it on flatbread and topped it with roasted summer veggies for an easy weeknight meal. And of course, any kind of hummus is great as a dip for fresh vegetables, pita bread, or crackers.

Edamame Hummus & Roasted Veggie Sandwiches
So take that, Trader Joe’s! I don’t need your edamame hummus anymore! (But if you want to start carrying it again, that would be cool.)

Better-Than-Trader-Joe’s Edamame Hummus

Better-Than-Trader-Joe's Edamame Hummus Recipe

An edamame hummus made with lemon juice and fresh herbs. It’s even better than the kind Trader Joe’s makes!

• Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
Scale

• 1 cup cooked edamame
  • 1/4 cupΒ tahini
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 2 tbsp fresh herbs, coarsely choppedΒ (optionalβ€”I used rosemary, thyme, and basil)
  • 2 tbspΒ olive oil (add more if you like your hummus creamier)
  • salt, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)

1. Combine edamame, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs in food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Drizzle olive oil through feed tube, continuing to process until oil is fully incorporated.
  4. Season with salt to taste and serve.

My husband and I had a disagreement over this hummus; I liked using 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, while he thought it was too lemony like that. So if you want your edamame hummus extra lemony, add another tablespoon of lemon juice.

This post was originally published on 13 September 2012.

September 13, 2012 at 8:14 am

I make something similar that our chef friend has on his menu. (He was pretty liberal with the recipe at a party. Score!) I LOVE it! It makes a great “sauce” for pizzas!

September 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I’m going to have to try it on pizza! And I bet it could replace the sauce and cheese.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    September 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I would be ALL over that. I can’t stand mayo either so this is a great way to do it. Thank you!

Jackie @ The Beeroness
    September 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’ve had the same issue with Joe’s. “Oh hey, where is that thing I love?” And it’s gone. Jerks. At least put out a press release to tell me you are going to remove it from my life forever. And this humus looks amazing.

September 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Yes! I love Lush and they always let you know what they’re discontinuing so you can stock up. That would be nice!

Jennifer H
    September 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm

oh I love hummus!

marianne
    September 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I just bought some in our Oregon Trader Joes…..but really wanted to make it,,,thanks for the recipe!!!!

September 13, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I heard from someone who works at a Trader Joe’s in Georgia that they have it there too. So maybe they’re just out of it at mine! πŸ™‚

Cassie
    September 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

LOVE everything about this!

nicole @nicky_olea
    September 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Oh I love Trader Joes wish we had them here in Miami.

September 13, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Wow, I can’t believe you don’t have Trader Joe’s there! That’s a pretty big market they’re missing out on!

Courtney Rae Jones
    September 13, 2012 at 6:44 pm

So excited to try this out! πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing. I love edamame!

Natalie
    September 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Whenever I’ve ventured far enough into the States to a Trader Joe’s, I stand by the hummus section forever trying to decide which one to buy, but then end up realizing I can make any of those at home and don’t get any. I haven’t tried edamame hummus yet but it looks delicious!

September 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Well, if you do ever get the chance to buy it (maybe for a quick snack before crossing the border!), try the Tomato Basil Hummus. That’s my other favorite!

Brenda Williams
    September 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I love Triscuit Roasted Garlic Crackers and I bet the edamame hummus would be the bomb on them!

September 14, 2012 at 12:13 am

That stack of flatbread sandwiches look MARVELOUS! Gotta get some edamame to try!

Cleo
    September 14, 2012 at 4:28 am

Aaargh you foodie bloggers in the US are always teasing me with tales of Trader Joes. How I wish we had something similar here in Australia (if we do can someone tell me??).

That hummus looks sublime!

September 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Maybe they will open one in Australia someday–we live in the age of globalization, after all! πŸ™‚

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook
    September 14, 2012 at 7:34 am

Love edamame hummus! I first had it in a cooking class I took and have been hooked on it ever since. Your flatbread stack looks delicious!

September 15, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I insisted on making those sandwiches with all my favorite summer veggies as a last hurrah for summer. My husband totally gave me the side-eye for putting corn in sandwiches, but they were good! πŸ™‚

DessertForTwo
    September 14, 2012 at 7:56 am

What a great recipe! I’ve been looking for things to sub for mayo on sandwiches. I loved the TJ’s version, but haven’t been able to find it lately either! Thanks for this πŸ™‚

September 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Edamame hummus is always my favorite mayo sub, closely followed by any other kind of hummus. πŸ™‚ It adds that creaminess and a little boost of flavor too!

Marie G.
    September 14, 2012 at 11:47 am

i made this last night — awesome! Thank you!

September 15, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Yay, I’m so glad you liked it–thanks for letting me know! πŸ™‚

Heidi @ Food Doodles
    September 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Mmm, I’ve never tried edamame hummus, but I looooooove hummus and edamame so this must be awesome!

Stephanie @ henry happened
    September 14, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’m like you – I can never get my chickpea hummus right! I just saw a recipe for pumpkin hummus that I was going to try but maybe I’ll try it with edamame first!

September 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Yes! It seems like I can get the taste right or the texture right, but never both. And when I do get the texture right, it’s usually because I’ve added an obscene amount of olive oil to it…

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    September 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

It’s been far too long since I’ve lived near a Trader Joe’s. Seriously I’m talking like 6 years. And thinking about it I’ve only lived near a Trader Joe’s for 2 years. That’s so depressing to think but the good news is they’re building one in Austin that opens next year. I can’t wait! But I need to try this recipe for making my own hummus because if I can make something better than TJ’s – I’m all in!

September 15, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I can’t believe you don’t have a Trader Joe’s yet! Although I think the one here is pretty new–it probably opened up right before we moved to the area. It’s about 40 minutes from us, so we don’t go there all the time, but it’s nice to stock up when we do.

Kate
    September 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m a hummus fiend, making it a million different ways (sweet potato being my fav, right behind lemon-dill, grilled vegetable and the most perfect red pepper version ever- the key is to run the food processor forever and make it superbly smooth… but I digress)

BUT…. I’m seeing a great deal of recipes for edamame hummus and should branch out. Sweet potato edamame hummus? Grilled eggplant edamame hummus? What could that be called Baba GaHummus?

Must get on this….

September 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Ooh, the grilled eggplant one would be really good! I also thought about adding soy sauce and green onions. So many possibilities!

BusyWorkingMama
    September 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

YUM!! I haven’t made it out of edamame. We are huge edamame fans! Lovely recipe! πŸ™‚

September 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm

You should try it! I really prefer the flavor to garbanzo beans.

Shell Fruscione
    September 16, 2012 at 4:55 am

Totally making this asap! Edamame & hummus are two of my favorite things!

September 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yay! I hope you like it! πŸ™‚

HilLesha
    September 16, 2012 at 7:38 am

Looks really good!

TastefullyJulie
    September 16, 2012 at 10:20 am

We don’t have Trader Joe’s {sob} so the closest I can get to any kind of “trendy” food is Wegman’s. They have an edamame hummus that I love but I’m pretty sure it’s made with edamame and chick peas. This looks great and I want to dive into those sandwiches!

September 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Boo! I’ve noticed that store-bought baba ghannouj is also made with chickpeas–sometimes more chickpeas than eggplant! It’s just not right.

Amanda
    September 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This is exciting! I am addicted to that hummus from trader joe’s, if I can make my own, even better! Will surely be trying this soon!

September 17, 2012 at 11:53 am

I hope you like it! πŸ˜€

Amy