Why We Love This Recipe
Pad Thai in soup form? What’s not to love? Packed with veggies, ginger and seaweed broth, it makes a healthy-yet-filling meal.
About Superfood Soups
This is a cookbook to get excited about as we enter the coldest months of the year: Superfood Soups: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Plant-Based Recipes is full of creative, healthy ideas for soup. We love that this book doesn’t contain the same soups you’ve made time and time again. No! These ideas are totally innovative and they use superfood ingredients in ways you might not have thought of before (chia seeds in chili? yes!).
Some of our favorite recipes include:
- Goldenberry Peach Gazpacho
- Chilled Turmeric Coconut Soup
- Sweet Potato & Maca Soup with Green Harissa
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Soup with Coconut Bacon Bits
- Onion Soup with Hemp Seed Parmesan
- Cacao Black Bean Soup
Purchase This Book
Superfood Soups: 100 Delicious, Energizing & Plant-Based Recipes by Julie Morris is available on Amazon.com.
Courtesy of The Chile Pepper Bible by Judith Finlayson © 2016 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- Boiling water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced gingerroot
- 8 oz trimmed fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1?2 to 1 red finger chile, cut into paper-thin rings
- 4 cups mushroom or beef stock
- 1?4 cup soy sauce
- 1?4 cup Chinese black rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced green onions (white and green parts)
- In a heatproof bowl, soak dried mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes, weighing down with a cup to ensure they remain submerged. Drain and discard liquid. Slice mushrooms thinly and set aside.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add soaked dried mushrooms, fresh mushrooms, bell pepper, and finger chile to taste. Cook, stirring, until very fragrant, about 5 minutes. (Mushrooms shouldn’t be fully cooked at this point.)
- Add stock, soy sauce and vinegar and stir well. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for until flavors are infused, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil.
- Ladle into warm serving bowls. Garnish with green onions. Serve immediately.