This Thai Red Curry with asparagus and tofu is simply amazing and is so easy to make. Better still, you can serve it with rice noodles or over rice. It’s terrific with both white rice (we recommend a nice jasmine rice for this dish) or brown rice. You really can’t go wrong.Print
Thai Red Curry with Asparagus and Tofu
A vegetarian red curry adapted from Everyday Food’s Beef-and-Asparagus Curry.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 tbsp peanut oil (canola or vegetable oil works too)
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu, pressed for 30 minutes (you can use a tofu press), cut into triangles
- 1 (13.5 oz) can light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lb asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- cooked rice or rice noodles
- lime wedges
- cilantro leaves
- Heat peanut oil in large wok or skillet over medium high heat. Add tofu triangles and cook for 5 minutes; flip tofu over and cook 5 minutes more on other side. Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels (to soak up excess oil) and wipe out skillet (carefully!).
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens (about 2 minutes). Stir in red curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining coconut milk, broth, soy sauce, and sugar. Once sauce comes to a simmer, add red pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in asparagus and cook 3 minutes more.
- Return tofu to skillet and stir until coated with curry sauce.
- Remove from heat and serve over noodles or rice; garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.