Vegan sweet potato pancakes! Fluffy and soft with a perfect level of sweetness, these make a great easy weekend breakfast or brunch, served with plenty of maple syrup and peanut butter. Gluten-free and oil-free.
I have to admit that breakfast is always the least extravagant of my meals. Well, I like to keep things simple in general, but my breakfasts aspire to a whole new level of basic. Sure, they're tasty, but a bowl of oats with an ugly dollop of peanut butter (although, can PB ever be ugly?), a few strawbs and some fruit on the side is seldom something I'd want to put up on the 'gram.
Regardless, on the odd occasion I do enjoy making something special for breakfast. Usually on my rest days, when I don't jump straight into a workout after my alarm sounds.
Of course, that something special usually involves pancakes. Even better when those pancakes allow me to get in an extra portion of vegetables. So today, I'll be sharing one of my favourite recipes for vegan sweet potato pancakes.
Vegan sweet potato pancakes
I know that the concept of putting potato in a pancake (excuse the alliteration lol) may seem odd to you if you've never tried baking with sweet potato before, but I can guarantee that these don't taste potato-y at all. Instead, the sweet potato adds a subtle sweetness and chewiness to the texture.
Without taking away from their fluffiness, of course. These are the perfect breakfast to enjoy during a slower morning, served with a hot beverage of your choice. Pancakes on a Saturday or a Sunday, after all, is one of those simple pleasures that never get old!
As I mentioned already, the texture of these pancakes is fluffy with a hint of chewiness. They are sweet but not too sweet, allowing for a generous drizzle of maple syrup for serving. Because after all, pancakes are best served when drizzled amply with maple syrup and/or peanut butter, as well as fruit of your choice.
Even if you think you don't like sweet potato, I'd encourage you to give these a try because the other ingredients hide the texture and flavour of potato nicely.
Why you'll love these pancakes
- Perfectly fluffy, as pancakes should be!
- Versatile - a perfect opportunity to get creative with your toppings
- A great dairy-free and egg-free pancake alternative
- Made using just one bowl
- Ideal for a weekend breakfast or brunch
- Made using just 5 ingredients
How to make vegan sweet potato pancakes
Whisk together the oat flour and the baking powder. Then, add the mashed sweet potato, plant milk, and maple syrup. Whisk together once more until well-combined.
Add around 2-3 tbsp of the batter to a hot non-stick frying pan. Cook for around 2-3 minutes, until the edges start to brown. Flip, and cook for a further 30 seconds - 1 minute on the other side.
Serve the pancakes immediately with maple syrup and other toppings of your choice.
Other vegan breakfast recipes
- Chickpea flour pancakes
- Buckwheat crepes with mushrooms
- Cacao fluffy pancakes with caramelised banana
- Apple pie coconut chia pudding
- Mushroom buckwheat porridge bowl
Let me know in the comments - what's your favourite topping for pancakes? If you give these vegan sweet potato pancakes a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations!
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick frying pan
- Whisk together the oat flour and the baking powder. Then, add the mashed sweet potato, plant milk, and maple syrup. Whisk together once more until well-combined.
- Add around 2-3 tbsp of the batter to a hot non-stick frying pan. Cook for around 2-3 minutes, until the edges start to brown. Flip, and cook for a further 30 seconds - 1 minute on the other side.
- Serve the pancakes immediately with maple syrup and other toppings of your choice.