These chickpea flour pancakes are light, fluffy and incredibly yummy served with maple syrup and peanut butter. They are perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Vegan, oil-free and gluten-free.
Oftentimes my breakfasts are really boring. As a morning person, my day starts really early. I usually go straight to the gym after waking up and still want to fuel my workout, but definitely don't have any more than five minutes to spend in the kitchen.
So, most of the time what I go for is your standard oatmeal with peanut butter and some fruit. I definitely have nothing against oatmeal. It has been my go-to breakfast for years at this stage, and I don't think I'll get bored of it any time soon. However, it's certainly not the most exciting or creative breakfast option, particularly when you have little time in the morning.
WANT MORE 30-MINUTE (OR LESS) BREAKFAST IDEAS? CHECK OUT MY EASY VEGAN UNDER 30 MINUTES RECIPE EBOOK.
But when I do have a slower start to the day, I almost always opt for pancakes, which are by far one of my favourite breakfasts. Although, I do have to admit that pancakes for dinner is always another option when I'm running out of the door in the morning, but spend the whole day thinking about pancakes.
Let me know if you are also someone that could eat pancakes for any meal! Anyway, today I'll be sharing a recipe I've been loving lately, which is chickpea flour pancakes that are vegan, gluten-free and super easy too.
Vegan chickpea flour pancakes
If you've never cooked or baked with chickpea flour before, I would definitely recommend it. It isn't the most commonly used flour, even in gluten-free baking, but I love how versatile it is and the fact that it can be used in sweet and savoury recipes alike.
The flavour of chickpea flour can be nutty, eggy or cheesy, depending on how you prepare it. For instance, it's a good egg replacement in recipes such as vegan omelettes and quiches, with other ingredients such as nutritional yeast and vegan cheese.
However, it is definitely possible to use it in sweet recipes too, even though it features in savoury recipes much more often. For instance, it adds a wonderful light and fluffy texture to these vegan chickpea pancakes, which is what we want from pancake recipes.
I've gone back to this recipe a lot in recent weeks because it's so simple and requires just minimal ingredients, most of which I always have in my pantry. And there is no complicated preparation involved either. So, this is a breakfast that seems fancy but requires close to no effort, which means it's great for serving at gatherings such as a brunch with friends.
These chickpea flour pancakes aren't overly sweet, but I did this on purpose because personally, I always serve my pancakes with a generous drizzle of maple syrup, peanut butter and fruit, which all add sweetness and flavour. Other toppings I love are nuts and seeds, granola and coconut yoghurt.
What's to love about these vegan chickpea flour pancakes?
- Incredibly yummy. Sometimes pancakes turn out flavourless, but in regards to these ones, that couldn't be further from the truth.
- Fluffy and light. Fluffy pancakes can be difficult to perfect, but these ones are perfect without any fancy ingredients.
- Oil-free also.
- Easy and beginner friendly.
- Healthy, requiring just wholesome ingredients.
- Made with just five ingredients, chickpea flour, baking powder, plantbased milk, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar.
- Great for a weekend breakfast, when you have a little bit more time to prepare a treat to share with friends or family.
- Perfect as breakfast for dinner too!
How to make vegan chickpea flour pancakes
Start by adding the chickpea flour, baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk them together well, and then add the almond milk (or any other plantbased milk of your choice) and the apple cider vinegar, whisking one again.
Then, transfer the batter to a non-stick frying pan, using around 2 tbsp per pancake. If you don't have a good non-stick frying pan, you might have to use a little bit of oil or cooking spray. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for a minute more. Serve immediately with toppings such as maple syrup, fruit, vegan yoghurt and peanut butter.
Other vegan breakfast recipes
- Apple pie coconut chia pudding is a great meal prep breakfast option.
- Cacao fluffy pancakes with caramelised banana are another one of my favourite pancake recipes.
- My simple chocolate buckwheat porridge is a wonderful alternative to normal oatmeal.
- Add some coconut and tahini chocolate granola to your breakfast bowls!
- Buckwheat crepes with mushrooms - a great savoury breakfast option.
Let me know in the comments - what's your favourite breakfast? If you give these vegan chickpea flour pancakes a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick frying pan
- Start by adding the chickpea flour and baking powder to a mixing bowl. Whisk them together well, and then add the almond milk (or any other plantbased milk of your choice), maple syrup and the apple cider vinegar, whisking one again.
- Then, transfer the batter to a non-stick frying pan, using around 2 tbsp per pancake. If you don't have a good non-stick frying pan, you might have to use a little bit of oil or cooking spray. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for a minute more. Serve immediately with toppings such as maple syrup, fruit, vegan yoghurt and peanut butter.