Looking for the best vegan French toast? This recipe right here is incredible! Whip up yourself some soft, custardy, perfectly cooked toast dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with syrup.
Serve this French toast up for breakfast, brunch, or (if you are like me) the occasional dinner. Follow this recipe to learn how to make French toast that wows everyone.
This Vegan French Toast is…
- Crispy, with soft custard center
- Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner
- Quick to make
- Super tasty and flavorful
How to Make Vegan French Toast
- Add all your ingredients, except bread, in a bowl. Whisk till combined.
- Get your pan hot, and add oil or vegan butter to prevent sticking.
- Dip bread slices in French toast mixture quickly and place in a pan.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides.
Tips and Tricks
Using day-old or firmer bread will help make sure your bread does not fall apart once dipped in the mixture.
Quickly Dip Bread
Make to dip your bread in the French toast mixture quickly. Get the bread coated, but don’t allow it to soak.
Too long in the mixture can cause you bread to fall apart.
I highly recommend using a nonstick pan. You will want to make sure your toast doesn’t stick. You can use cooking spray or melt in a little vegan butter.
Then place bread into hot skillet to cook.
I used almond milk as the base of my mixture. You could also use soy milk, cashew milk, or your preferred milk.
Type of Bread
Use any bread you would like. You could even use a croissant-style bread for added flavor and texture.
Thicker slices are better. Thin bread does not hold up well once wet.
You have endless options here. Sprinkle on powdered sugar, top with vegan chocolate chips, or drizzle with fruity syrup. Have fun and get creative or go simple with your French toast toppings.
Vegan French Toast FAQs
What is the benefit of flaxseed in French toast?
Since you are making a vegan French toast, that means no egg. The flaxseed will act as the thickening agent in the mixture. This is going to allow the ingredients to lock in to the bread. Plus you gain health benefits from flax.
What does the cornstarch do for French toast?
The cornstarch is my secret ingredient. It helps ensure you get a crispy outside texture to your bread.
Just stir the mixture between each dip of bread as the cornstarch settles in the bottom of the bowl.
Can you freeze French Toast?
Don’t plan to eat all the French toast right away? Go right ahead and freeze what you don’t plan to eat. Place slices on a lined baking sheet and flash freeze for an hour.
Once the toast is frozen, place in a freezer bag. The French toast can stay in the freezer for 3–4 months. Then just thaw, reheat, and eat when you would like.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 ½ tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 slices of bread
- Mix all the ingredients, except bread, in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Dip bread in that mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly. Don’t keep the bread slices in the mix any longer or they’ll break.
- Cook them from both sides on medium heat in a non-stick skillet with a drizzle of oil.
- Enjoy them while still warm. Spread maple syrup and fruit on the top.