Make this easy vegan corn chowder in under 30 minutes for a dinner that's cosy and made with lots of vegetables like potatoes and celery. It's also gluten-free, rich and creamy, and packed full of flavour despite being entirely dairy-free.
I'm back again with another soup recipe, and this time its an utterly delicious corn chowder. I don't have a lot of recipes featuring sweetcorn on my blog despite the fact that I eat it all the time, so I thought it was time to change that. As I'm writing this, we're way into fall and I'm eating soup all the time. This one often makes an appearance on my table!
And if you're a soup lover like myself, I would 100% recommend it. In particular if your favourite soup variety is the creamy type with just the right amount of texture from wholesome vegetables. Yum!
About this vegan corn chowder
This corn chowder is incredibly delicious and creamy, despite the fact that it has no dairy at all. Plus, there's no coconut milk, which is great if you're allergic to coconut, or simply don't like the flavour.
Instead, the key to making this chowder creamy is adding tofu. Around ½ of the soup is blended with firm tofu and other ingredients, then added back to the pan which results in a thick, smooth texture. Don't worry, you won't taste the tofu at all. Instead, it's just there as a way to make the soup extra rich without any cream.
The flavour of this vegan corn chowder is earthy and deep, with a hint of tanginess. The texture is incredible, too. As not all of the soup is blended, the vegetables and sweetcorn help add just the right amount of chunkiness. Trust me, you'll keep going back for seconds!
Ingredients needed for a dairy-free corn chowder
Scroll down to the recipe card below to see the full ingredient amounts.
- Vegan butter. You can also use olive oil, or leave it out for an oil-free version. This is for cooking the vegetables.
- Red onion.
- Bell pepper. Any colour works, but red bell peppers tend to be the most flavourful.
- Celery. This is great for infusing the soup with flavour.
- Potatoes. Any waxy potato variety works best for this recipe.
- Vegetable broth. I typically dissolve stock cube in the necessary amount of liquid.
- Plant based milk of your choice.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Tofu. Extra firm or firm tofu works best for this recipe.
- Nutritional yeast. This helps add a hint of cheesiness to vegan corn chowder.
- Spices: paprika, cumin and garlic powder.
- Mustard. Ensure vegan and gluten-free.
- Lemon juice. Lime juice works well too.
- Fresh sweetcorn. You can use tinned sweetcorn too, but the former option results in the best flavour.
- Gluten-free flour for thickening. You can also use cornstarch or arrowroot power.
- Green peas. You can use either fresh or tinned.
How to make a dairy-free corn chowder
Firstly, melt the vegan butter in a saucepan. Then add the red onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook for around 5 minutes, until they start to soften.
Now add the potatoes and vegetable broth. Cook for around 15 minutes more, until the potatoes soften fully.
Transfer around ½ of the cooked vegetables and broth to a blender, also adding the plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, mustard and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
Add the sauce back to the pan together with the sweetcorn and flour, and stir for 2-3 minutes, until the soup starts to thicken. Stir in the green peas and spinach and cook for 2 minutes more before serving.
Storing and freezing this soup
You can keep this vegan corn chowder in the fridge in airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
You can also freeze it in a freezer-friendly container. Before serving, leave to thaw fully in the fridge and then reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Other delicious and cosy vegan soup ideas
- Minestrone soup
- Butternut squash soup
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Wild rice soup with jackfruit
- Curry soup with tofu
- Chunky potato soup
Let me know in the comments: what's your go-to soup recipe? If you give this easy vegan corn chowder a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating.
- Blender or food processor
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 ½ lbs potatoes diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 10 oz extra firm tofu
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp mustard
- ½ lemon juice of
- 2 cups fresh sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups spinach
- Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan. Add the red onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook for around 5 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth. Cook for around 15 minutes more, until the potatoes soften fully.
- Transfer ½ of the cooked vegetables and broth to a blender, also adding the plant based milk, apple cider vinegar, tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, mustard and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Add the sauce back to the pan together with the sweetcorn and flour, and stir for 2-3 minutes, until the soup starts to thicken.
- Stir in the green peas and spinach and cook for 2 minutes more before serving.