This chunky vegan potato soup with carrots, cabbage, and sweetcorn is a perfect comforting meal. It is also healthy and made with whole food ingredients. Gluten-free and ready in 20 minutes.
Ah, soup season. I have a love-hate relationship with it. Hate, because I'm just not a fan of autumn and winter. Sure, the holidays are fun, but not cold weather, rain, and feeling like it's nighttime at 4 pm.
Love, because I get to eat soup pretty much on the daily. It's the best way to stay warm, right after cold showers and cuddling your significant other. But given that extensive showering is needlessly bad for the environment and I am hopelessly single, soup it is.
So, grab your bowls and spoons because this veggie-packed chunky vegan potato soup is not one that you wanna miss! Seriously, this is perhaps my favourite soup that I've made to this date.
Chunky vegan potato soup
Okay, let's discuss this super flavourful potato soup. When I was taking pictures for this blog post, it was hard not to dive in and eat all of it within five minutes because it smells so good. And you bet it tastes even better.
The main ingredient is, of course, potatoes. Aka, a magical ingredient that works in so many recipes. Potato soup is a pretty standard use of them, but one that never gets boring. I also added a lot of other vegetables: carrots, onion, sweetcorn, cabbage, sweetcorn and peas. They add a lot of natural flavour and texture so that every spoonful is exciting. I flavoured the broth with tomato paste, tamari, and also some oat milk (but you can use any vegan milk of your choice). The veggies themselves release a lot of favour.
If you want to, you can blend this chunky vegan soup, but I have to admit that the chunkiness makes it special. I've always chosen chunky soups over creamy ones because I'm a big fan of a lot of texture in my food.
How to make this chunky vegan soup
First, add the onion, garlic and tomato paste to a non-stick saucepan and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until they begin to soften.
Add the potatoes, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, plant based milk, salt, cumin, nutritional yeast and veggie broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fully cooked through, which usually takes 12-15 minutes.
Stir in the peas, sweetcorn and tamari and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring.
Divide between serving bowl and serve with garnishes of your choice.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- Add any other vegetables of your choice: for example, zucchini, bell peppers, different leafy greens, etc.
- Blend this soup if you are not a fan of chunky soups. This can be done either a standard or an immersion blender.
- Add or remove spices to switch up the flavour profile.
How to store and freeze vegan potato soup
This soup keeps really well in the fridge for 4-5 days, making it ideal for batch cooking. Store it in an airtight container and reheat either on the stove or in the microwave.
You can also store it in freezer-friendly ziplock bags, leaving a bit of room for expansion, for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw fully in the fridge before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
Other vegan soup recipes
- Noodle soup with roasted chickpeas
- Sweet potato soup
- Split pea soup
- Spicy butternut squash soup
- Wild rice soup with jackfruit
Let me know in the comments: what's your favourite soup? If you give this chunky vegan potato soup a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below!
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 15 oz potatoes chopped (around 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 5 oz fresh cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup cabbage chopped
- ¾ cup plant based milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup fresh sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp tamari
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and tomato paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until they begin to soften.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 large onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Add the potatoes, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, plant based milk, salt, cumin, nutritional yeast and veggie broth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are fully cooked through, which usually takes 12-15 minutes.15 oz potatoes, 1 large carrot, 5 oz fresh cherry tomatoes, 1 cup cabbage, ¾ cup plant based milk, ½ tsp sea salt, 1 tsp cumin, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 3 cups vegetable stock
- Stir in the peas, sweetcorn and tamari and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring.½ cup green peas, ½ cup fresh sweetcorn, 2 tbsp tamari
- Divide between serving bowl and serve with garnishes of your choice.