These sweet and sour chickpeas and green beans is a healthy vegan recipe that's perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Not only is this dish super easy to make, but it also takes 10 minutes from start to finish. Gluten-free and oil-free.
As I'm writing this, this year is drawing to a close. It was definitely a whirlwind of ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it and learned a lot about myself.
I'm excited for the holidays because I'll see my extended family for the first time in almost two years. Also, spring is my favorite season and I'll definitely spend as much time as possible outdoors over the upcoming months.
And do a little bit more baking, because that's something I've missed for sure.
Today, however, I'm sharing a very quick and easy recipe for all of you busy people who still want to eat yummy homemade food.
That recipe is sweet and sour chickpeas and green beans. This recipe is so good, I've made it three times in the last week alone!
Sweet And Sour Chickpeas And Green Beans
A few weeks ago I shared a sweet and sour tofu recipe, and I wanted to create another variation that's even easier.
The sauce here calls for just 4 ingredients, not including water. So, you won't have to make any last minute trips to the grocery store, or have to go to 5 different ones in search of fancy ingredients!
These sweet and sour chickpeas are great if you fancy a takeout, but still want to cook at home.
There's nothing wrong with the occasional takeout (I'm definitely a fan of them as a Friday night treat, especially as my local Chinese shop makes the best tofu in black bean sauce). Yet oftentimes, nothing can top a wholesome homemade meal.
It really is amazing just how much flavor you can achieve with basic plant based ingredients. (Basic as in the opposite of complicated, because there's nothing #basic about this meal).
I know a lot of people who want to add chickpeas to their diet, perhaps when first converting to veganism.
They're one of those ingredients that appear intimidating at first. So, meals like this that replicate old favorites are the best option.
And of course, the green beans will help you eat more vegetables even if you're not someone who enjoys salad!
What's to love about this sweet and sour chickpeas recipe?
- Packed full of flavour.
- Perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Easy and beginner-friendly.
- A great homemade alternative to takeout.
- Ready in 10 minutes.
How to make sweet and sour chickpeas and green beans
It really couldn't be easier!
Add the garlic to a non-stick frying pan and sauté for around 2 minutes. Then, add the green beans and sauté for around 3 minutes more, until softened.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by stirring together the maple syrup, tamari, rice vinegar, tomato paste and water.
Then, add the chickpeas, sauce and cornflour to the saucepan. Cook on a low-medium heat for around 5 minutes, until the sauce had thickened. Serve immediately with brown rice.
Other vegan weeknight dinner recipes
- Vegan chili with butter beans
- Red lentil cauliflower Dahl
- Butternut squash mac and cheese with tofu
- Creamy tofu pasta
- Homemade ravioli with tofu and spinach
- Add the garlic to a non-stick frying pan and sauté for around 2 minutes. Then, add the green bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the green beans and sauté for around 3 minutes more, until softened.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by stirring together the maple syrup, tamari, rice vinegar, tomato paste and water.
- Add the chickpeas, sauce and cornflour to the saucepan. Cook on a low-medium heat for around 5 minutes, until the sauce had thickened. Serve immediately with brown rice.