This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Entrees/ Recipes/ Vegetarian Recipes

Chipotle Quinoa Burgers with Sweet Corn Relish

Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers Recipe

Tired of boring veggie burgers? These Chipotle Quinoa Burgers are topped with homemade Sweet Corn Relish. The recipe is super easy to make, too!

A Chris Recipe

The only reason I ever remember my wedding anniversary is because my Grandma sends Chris and me a card in the mail every year. (Thank you, Grandma!) And whenever someone asks me how long I’ve been married, I freak out a little bit and have to do some quick math in my head. Did we get married in 2005? Or was it 2006? (It was 2006.) What year is it now? What’s 13 minus 6? OH NO WHAT’S 13 MINUS 6??? I really should just throw out a random number because how would they know, right? Also, I really should buy some flashcards and practice basic math.

So today is our anniversary! We used to use it as an excuse to get an expensive dinner, but now we don’t really do anything for it. And that’s okay! With both of us! I’m lucky to have married someone who is as into anniversaries and birthdays and holidays as I am. Which is to say, not at all. Anniversaries just seem kind of arbitrary to me. Like, hey, the Earth has rotated around the sun 7 times since we got married—here’s a box of chocolates! I’m not really into grand gestures, you see. I’m more about the small, everyday things.

Minced Chipotle Pepper
Although he tries every recipe I make for Oh My Veggies, every once in a while I will make something that I deem a Chris recipe—something I make with him in mind because I know he’ll love it. These Chipotle Quinoa Burgers are definitely a Chris recipe, thanks to a healthy dose of chipotle pepper. I like chipotle, but Chris loves it. The annoying thing about cooking with chipotle peppers is that you always have leftovers. I like to puree the remaining peppers and sauce, freeze them in an ice cube tray, and use them later. I describe the whole process in my Crispy Chipotle Potato Tian post.

Uncooked Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

About the Recipe

The first time I tried making these, I wanted to put corn in the burgers, but they ended up crumbling, so I decided to do a sweet corn relish instead. (It’s summer! I had to figure out some way to include corn!) The relish can be made up to two days in advance. If you want it to have a little more heat, you can substitute a hotter pepper for the jalapeño. Other good toppings for these burgers include pepperjack cheese, mayo (cashew or otherwise), salsa, grilled or caramelized onions, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro. I hate telling people what to put on their veggie burgers because really, anything goes.

Oh, and this is the third burger recipe in my summer of veggie burgers series! I posted Cauliflower Hummus Burgers with Mint Tzatziki in May and Lentil Mushroom Burgers in June. Don’t feel like making your own burgers? That’s okay too! Here are my favorite store-bought veggie burgers.

Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers Recipe

Chipotle Quinoa Burgers with Sweet Corn Relish

Veggie burgers made with black beans, quinoa, and minced chipotle peppers, topped with homemade Sweet Corn Relish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 6 burgers

Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

• 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or a 15 oz can, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa cooked according to package directions
  • 1/4 cup panko
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 to 1 tbsp minced chipotle in adobo sauce
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • salt to taste
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • buns Sweet Corn Relish, cheese, lettuce, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, and anything else you like on your burgers

Sweet Corn Relish

• 2 ears corn kernels removed
  • 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • pinch of salt

Chipotle Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

• Preheat oven to 400ºF.
  • Mash half of the black beans in a large bowl. Stir in remaining black beans, quinoa, panko, garlic, minced chipotle, onion powder, and cumin. Once all ingredients are fully incorporated, add salt to taste. Fold in the beaten egg.
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the burger mixture into 6 mounds on the baking sheet, then shape each mound into a bun-sized patty. Bake the burgers for about 20 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through baking time. They're done when they're baked through and slightly crispy on the edges. Serve with Sweet Corn relish and your favorite veggie burger toppings.

Sweet Corn Relish

• Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate up to 2 days before serving.

I tested this recipe several times and I preferred 1/2 tablespoon of chipotle, while Chris preferred a full tablespoon. If you're not sure, I'd start with 1/2 tablespoon, taste the burger mixture (before you put the egg in!), and add more from there.
Craving more veg-friendly recipes? Shop our collection of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    July 22, 2013 at 8:26 am

I definitely threw out more than half the jar last time I used those peppers! Such a good idea to freeze the extras… Same goes for tomato paste! Does anyone actually use a whole jar?? These burgs look fab– especially that corn relish! Can’t wait to try.

July 24, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I know! I do the same thing with tomato paste though–I portion it out into tablespoons, freeze it in ice cube trays, and thaw the cubes as I need them. I can’t stand to throw out a whole can of tomato paste because I only need a tablespoon!

[email protected] the boot
    July 22, 2013 at 8:26 am

congratulations! we celebrate anniversaries the same way, by being reminded that it’s our anniversary. and amazing burgers, i have to make them! 🙂

July 24, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I’m so relieved that people are commenting on this post and saying they’re the same way about anniversaries! 🙂 I feel much better now!

dixya| food, pleasure, and health
    July 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

happy anniversary 🙂 i love chipotle peppers a lot..these burgers look pretty celebratory to me. Have a great time you guys <3

Caitlin
    July 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

well happy anniversary, lady! dayv and i used them as an excuse to get an expensive dinner, but i totally understand how everyday gestures are so important to the well being of a marriage. i love when dayv surprises me with things throughout the year, just because.

you know, i’ve never made anything with chipotle precisely for the reason that there is so much left over. i love the idea of freezing it in ice cube trays. also- corn relish ON veggie burgers is definitely right up my alley!

July 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Yeah, I wish they sold chipotle in a more convenient form. Recipes only call for a little bit, but they only sell it in cans.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    July 22, 2013 at 11:11 am

This relish sounds SO good! I think that it would be good paired with pretty much any Summertime veggie burger! 🙂

July 24, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, you could really put it on just about anything and it would be delicious!

dishing up the dirt
    July 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

Happy Anniversary! These burgers sounds amazing. That corn relish is something I need to make asap!

July 24, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Thank you! The corn relish is good on its own too. 😉

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
    July 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Looks delicious!!! Great flavors!

ea-the spicy rd
    July 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

First off, Happy Anniversary!!! Even though I do enjoy a little celebration every now and then, I completely agree that it’s really the small, everyday gestures of love that mean the most 🙂 Love the looks of these burgers, and I’m thinking my gluten-free cajun spiced breadcrumbs would be perfect in these!

July 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thank you! And oh my goodness, I’m going to have to look for those breadcrumbs! Hello, crispy Cajun zucchini fries!

Ashley
    July 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Happy anniversary : ) We’re the same way – we rarely do anything crazy for anniversaries/birthdays! And that sweet corn relish sounds delicious.

July 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Thank you! Sometimes I feel like we’re the only ones that don’t make a big deal out of this stuff, so I’m glad that’s not the case. 😉

Liz
    July 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Kiersten,
    My guy and I are the same way you and Chris are; my family remembers how long we’ve been together better than *I* do. 🙂

Though we’re not married, my SO and I have been together since the same year you and Chris got married, so we’re getting up there (!), which makes it harder and harder to remember just how long it’s been! I’ve never been a big celebration person, either (it was just the way I was raised), so it actually feels AWKWARD celebrating anything but Christmas (what can I say, I love that winter holiday). Despite it being nice to do something different or special every once in awhile, after that many years together, the small things really DO matter more than the big, one-day extragavanzas. However you guys decide to spend it, happy anniversary!

PS I LOVE how SIMPLE and QUICK these burgers are, even with the homemade relish. Give me something with chipotle in it, and call me happy. 🙂

July 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Yay, we’re not alone! It’s kind of sad that my mom and grandma remember the date of our anniversary and we don’t, but like you, I find celebrations awkward. And anything involving romance–oh heck no. Roses, boxes of chocolates, greeting cards, I just can’t do any of those things, they make me feel SO uncomfortable.

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    July 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Gorgeous burgers! Can’t go wrong combing beans with quinoa. These would be perfect for Summer time dining!

July 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Thank you! They are definitely perfect for summer. 🙂

Robin Gagnon {Mom Foodie}
    July 22, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Yum! Black beans do make the best veggie burgers, don’t they…

July 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Mmmm, black bean burgers are one of my favorite kinds of veggie burgers 🙂
    My husband is like you and Chris when it comes to anniversaries- not that big of a deal, not into cards- but I’m sort of the opposite! I like to make plans and mark the occasion, since it seems like we’ve been through so much to get where we are now.

July 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, it’s definitely a good thing that Chris and I are on the same page about this stuff! Your husband will just have to learn to be into anniversaries, I think. 🙂

Aggie
    July 22, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Happy anniversary 🙂

Loving these bean and quinoa burgers, I have yet to make one! These look delicious!

Laura @ Kneadwhine
    July 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Wow – these look gorgeous. I love black beans. Pinning!

Grace @ Earthy Feast
    July 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm

My husband and I are the same way when it comes to dates and anniversaries, etc. The little everyday things are what matter most. 😉 This little burger looks amazing – all my favorite seasonings and spices in a delicious summertime burger! Yum!

July 24, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I’m glad we’re not the only ones! 🙂

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking
    July 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm

That’s one of the most scrumptious lookin’ black bean burgers I’ve ever seen! These babies are loaded with protein and I love it!

July 24, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Thank you! And yes, beans + quinoa = double the protein. 🙂

Corinna
    July 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I am so glad that I am not the only wife who cannot remember when she got married!

July 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I feel better about it only because my husband forgets too. 🙂 But yeah, some people look at you like you have two heads if it takes you even a second to answer that question!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    July 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Happy anniversary! I’m loving the chipotle in these burgers!

Courtney @ The Fig Tree
    July 22, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Ooooo! These look fantastic! The sweet corn relish sounds like the perfect topping to these spicy burgers. Yum! Cannot wait to try them!

July 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

You can never go wrong with sweet and spicy, right? 🙂

July 22, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Happy anniversary!! Why go out to a restaurant when you can have these veggie burgers? Especially if corn relish is involved, yum.

July 24, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Exactly! And what restaurants serve veggie burgers with corn relish? NONE!

mjskit
    July 22, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Happy Anniversary!!! Oh I know what you mean about having to do the math. I guess it all comes down to celebrating another year of being together, no matter how many years came before. Love these burgers! I’m a huge fan of chipotle and black beans, so these veggies burgers definitely have my attention. They look like the perfect veggie burger!

July 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Thank you! And yes, if you like chipotle and black beans, you will definitely love these burgers. 🙂

July 23, 2013 at 6:05 am

Talk about the perfect vegetarian burger!
    Happy Anniversary!!!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective
    July 23, 2013 at 7:29 am

Happy Anniversary (a day late!) Great burgers!

July 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Thank you, Sommer! 🙂

Holly
    July 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

Kiersten;

I know you’ve not made them this way, but do you think it would work if I used a 1 Tbsp of Flax meal and 1 Tbsp of vegan mayo as the binder? I know I have successfully used flax meal and water to bind other “meat” type recipes including your mushroom lentil loaf.

Happy anniversary! And thanks so much for the recipes. Everyone I’ve tried has been a hit.

Much obliged!

July 24, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I think that would work! You could skip flipping the patties over during the baking time, which will help them stay together too. If you try it, let me know how it goes!