I know that pumpkin and apples get all the love this time of year, but I for one get just as excited when I see Brussels sprouts back in season. If you’ve had them fresh then you know what I’m taking about. They’re so much better than the frozen kind and are way more versatile.
I prefer them roasted but they’re also delicious when shredded in salads or sautéed on the stovetop. Had my mom served them to me that way as a child rather than frozen and boiled then I might not have hated them for the first twenty years of my life.
Roasted Brussels Sprout Tacos with Chipotle Aioli
Refried black beans are slathered on warm tortillas and topped with roasted Brussels sprouts and smoky chipotle aioli to make these flavor-packed vegan tacos.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 tacos
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon high heat cooking oil
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 small head)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup plant-based mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 (16-ounce) can vegetarian black refried beans*
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed in a skillet
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat. Remove any gnarly leaves from the Brussels sprouts then chop off the stems and slice each one in half. Transfer the Brussels sprouts to the baking sheet, toss with oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the red cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Add the apple cider vinegar, sprinkle with salt and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle powder and lime juice. Stir until smooth.
- Transfer the black refried beans to a bowl for microwaving or a small saucepan to heat over the stove. Microwave for 1 minute or cook until warm. Taste test to see if you prefer more salt, seasonings (such as cumin, chili powder, lime juice, or more salt) and adjust as needed.
- Spread the black beans on top of the warm tortillas, top with cabbage mixture, and roasted brussels sprouts. Drizzle with chipotle aoili, serve and enjoy!
*Depending on the kind of refried black beans you use, you may need to add seasonings to taste. Cumin, chili powder, lime juice and salt are good for adding flavor.