A mixture of summer produce, such as bell peppers, eggplant and zucchini, are brushed with olive oil, seasoned generously with spices and grilled until tender and charred. The veggies are chopped into bite-sized pieces, before being spooned onto a tortilla, along with sliced avocado and a flavorful chimichurri sauce. Fresh, simple and perfect for this time of the year.
I picked up all the vegetables and herbs for this recipe from my local Food Lion. Fully stocked, affordably priced and packed with beautiful fresh vegetables, fruits and herbs (with plenty of organic options), it was hard to decide what produce to use. But that’s the beauty of this recipe. You can definitely switch things up based on your own summer favorites. Yellow squash, poblano peppers or even portabella mushrooms would be great in these tacos as well.
To save time during the week, the chimichurri sauce can be made in advance and stored in a container in the fridge. This also gives the flavors extra time to meld, as it gets better and better as it sits. If you like your chimichurri on the thicker side, use the lower amount of olive oil. Use the higher amount if you like your sauce a bit thinner.
As far as yield, the number of tacos you’ll be able to assemble will vary based on the size of your tortillas. If you use 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, you’ll get about 12 to 14 tacos. It will be less if you use the larger 10-inch size.
Fresh summer tacos filled with a variety of grilled vegetables and topped with a flavorful chimichurri sauce.
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4 inch rounds
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into quarters
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise in half
- 2 medium ears corn, shucked
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Sliced avocado
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined but still a bit chunky. Transfer the mixture to a bowl or container and let the flavors meld while you make the tacos.
- Light up a charcoal or gas grill over medium / medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Brush the veggies all over with olive oil and then season with the spice mixture.
- Place the vegetables directly on the grill and cook until tender and charred, flipping once halfway through and rotating the ears of corn several times. The eggplant and bell pepper will take approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side. The zucchini will take about 4 to 6 minutes per side. The corn will take about 10 to 15 minutes total, rotating every few minutes. Remove the veggies to a platter and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Chop the veggies into 1-inch chunks and cut off the kernels from the ears of corn.
- Add some of the veggies to a tortilla. Top with a few slices of avocado and a drizzle of chimichurri. Serve immediately.
Want to learn more about Food Lion and their fresh and affordable approach to food? Check them out on social media!
Plus, check out my recipe and others on the Food Lion Recipe Hub!
Leave a comment telling me what your favorite recipe is and you will be entered to win a $100 Food Lion Gift Card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2.Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 7/6/16 – 8/6/16
Be sure to visit the Food Lion Brand Page on Blogher where you can read other bloggers’ posts!