Entrees/ Recipes/ Sides/ vegetarian recipes

Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts

Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts

Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts
Working on this recipe was quite an internal struggle for me. I knew I wanted to do an apple cheddar pizza, and I kind of thought I wanted to add walnuts too. But a little voice kept nagging at me.

“Add caramelized onions! Caramelized onions!

Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts Ingredients
I tried to resist because, well, I don’t want you guys to think that I have to add caramelized onions to everything I make. (Note: of courseย Iย have to add caramelized onions to everything I make, because caramelized onions are delicious.) I wanted to do something different! But then as I was getting ready to make this, I realized that we had an extra onion sitting all lonely and sad on the countertop. I mean, obviously, the universe was talking to me right there. If the universe wants me to put caramelized onions on a pizza, I can’t say no, right?

Apple Cheddar Pizza [Uncooked]
So yeah, it’s another recipe with caramelized onions. I guess if you’re not a fan of them, you’re going to have to go read another vegetarian food blog.

Now, caramelizing the onions adds some extra time to making this, so if you want to omit them, you can. But you can also make the onions in advance. (I have a handy tutorial on how to caramelize onions on my blog too!) You can make a big batch of them over the weekend when you have more time and then plan a few meals that use them for throughout the week–they’ll last about 5-6 days in the fridge, so it works out perfectly.

Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts
So with a prepared pizza crust and your batch of pre-made caramelized onions, this pizza makes for a really quick dinner. Saute the apples, throw everything on the crust, bake it and you’ve got a delicious sweet-and-savory apple cheddar pizza in about 20 minutes.

Apple Cheddar Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Walnuts

Apple Cheddar Pizza Recipe

A sweet-and-savory pizza topped with maple-sauteed apples, caramelized onions, aged cheddar and walnuts.

• Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • Yield: 4-6 servings

• 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced (Braeburn, Fuji, or Honeycrisp work well)
  • 1 tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1 large prepared pizza crust
  • 1 c. shredded aged cheddar cheese
  • 2 tbsp chopped walnuts

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes or so at first and then, as the onions begin to brown, more frequently. This could take from 30 minutes to over an hour, depending on your stove. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
  2. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package.
  3. Wipe skillet clean; add butter and melt over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add apple slices and saute for about 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Stir in maple syrup and continue cooking until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
  4. Top pizza crust with caramelized onions, shredded cheese, apples, and walnuts. Bake for time indicated on package or until cheese has melted.

Make the caramelized onions in advance to shorten the cook time. If the instructions on your pizza crust indicate that it should be baked at a higher temperature than 375 degrees or for longer than 10 minutes, toast walnuts separately and add them to pizza after it’s finished baking.

Sara @my less serious life
    November 29, 2012 at 7:16 am

do you have a go-to pizza crust recipe? i can’t use the store-bought ones because i can’t have soy and most of them use soybean oil or soy lecithin as a stabilizer.

November 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I realize that this completely makes me a failure as a food blogger, but I don’t–I always either buy the dough or buy a prepared crust. My goal for this year was to get comfortable with breads and other yeasty things, but as you can see, that did not happen. ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    November 29, 2012 at 7:19 am

Interesting. I never would have thought to combine apples with cheddar, but I think I’d like to try it.

November 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Ooh, you do need to try it! I have apples with slices of cheddar as a snack all the time. There are even apple pie recipes with cheese in the crust!

November 29, 2012 at 7:22 am

You know my motto, caramelized onions make everything better! Could you add the nuts like the last 10 minutes to get a toasted taste to them or should they be raw?

November 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I alternate between pizza crust brands and I’ve noticed that some cook at a higher temperature than others, which is why I added that note. Walnuts burn so easily in the oven that I think it’s best to just toast them separately if the pizza is cooking at a higher temperature or longer amount of time. You could definitely try throwing them in just before the cooking time is over, but burnt walnuts are pretty foul, so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry when I wrote up the instructions…

Parsley Sage
    November 29, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’m so glad you listened to your pizza when it spoke to you ๐Ÿ™‚ It just wouldn’t be the same glorious dish WITHOUT those caramelized onions!

November 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm

No, it wouldn’t! It was totally meant to be, right?

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates)
    November 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

If I made caramelized onions I”m afraid only one or two bites might make it to the pizza – I can eat them straight out of the pot with a spoon! This looks delicious though =)

November 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I know! Sometimes I make them for burgers and then I just eat the rest on the side. ๐Ÿ™‚

November 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I don’t love how long it takes to make caramelized onions, but I do love eating them! Especially if apple, cheddar, and walnuts would be thrown in.

November 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, I think the best way to do it is to make a bunch in advance. I used to try to rush the process, but the onions end up sauteing. Just not the same!

Jessi
    November 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh my o.o

Ashley - Baker by Nature
    November 29, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I want to marry this pizza. Is that weird?!

November 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ha! No, I don’t judge. ๐Ÿ™‚

SCM (SocialCafe Magazine)
    November 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm

It looks delicious ๐Ÿ™‚ even though I hardly ever eat onions ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I’m not a fan of raw onions, but when they are caramelized, it’s completely different! ๐Ÿ™‚

Cassie | Bake Your Day
    November 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I really, really love this, Kiersten. Pizza is one of my favorites and I love the toppings here. Caramelized onions (and cheddar!) get me every time!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance
    November 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Caramelized onions belong in everything!!

November 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm

They do, right? I don’t think there’s anything that doesn’t taste better with caramelized onions added!

Diane (createdbydiane)
    November 29, 2012 at 11:34 pm

looks so great, I would just LOVE a piece right now!

Lauren
    November 29, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This looks delicious! I love the combination you have here. Fruit and cheese together has always been a very palatable combination to me, and the walnuts add a nice crunch! ๐Ÿ™‚

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    November 30, 2012 at 7:00 am

You are just too cute with your obsession, but I think the universe did you right with its cosmic push this time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.
    November 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

Gorgeous!! I want to make this ASAP

Jeanette
    November 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

I love the sound of a sweet and savory pizza!

November 30, 2012 at 8:31 am

That is a stunner! Love the rich fall flavors going on here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Andi
    November 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

I tried this recipe out yesterday, and it was delicious! Thanks for posting ๐Ÿ˜€

November 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    November 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’m glad the universe won out and you added the onions … I think they might be the clincher. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love this recipe, so creative.

Pizza is a favorite quick dinner in our house. We do the Friday pizza night thing and I love how easy dinner is on Fridays! I make a big batch of pizza dough and pizza sauce about every six weeks. I cook the pizza crusts on the grill pan then freeze them, and freeze the sauce in 1/2 cup increments too. Makes future pizza nights so easy. I’ve also frozen bags of caramelized onions for future pizzas. I’m always happy when I find a little bag hiding in the freezer. They really are magic!

November 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Perhaps I should attempt my own dough like that. I really feel like a terrible blogger for always using the pre-made crust, but when I’ve tried making it myself, it was almost inedible. I don’t do well with breads!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits
    November 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I could put caramelized onions on every thing. Nicely done ๐Ÿ™‚

mjskit
    December 2, 2012 at 12:45 am

A very creative pizza! One doesn’t see apple on a pizza very often, but you sure make it look like a perfect fit. I put caramelized onion on pizza quite often and I definitely will be added some apple and walnuts next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

December 3, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I put caramelized onions on pizza all the time too. It’s so much better than the practically raw ones they put on pizzas at restaurants!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    December 2, 2012 at 2:23 am

I’m going to lie – I made this today and added chicken, lol. I tried to make a pizza crust to go with it and yeah, not there yet but the flavors are amazing!

December 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Chicken! See, I was counting on everyone saying that they’d add bacon. ๐Ÿ™‚

debra pearlstein
    December 2, 2012 at 5:15 am

Yum, every time I read here I get really hungry! And I find things I wouldn’t think of putting together that just happen to sound delicious!

December 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I know apples & cheese sound weird together, but they are one of my favorite food combinations. Put some apple slices in a grilled cheese–trust me, it is good! ๐Ÿ˜€

December 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I was just thinking about an apple pizza the other day, but I couldn’t come up with a solid idea for what else to put on it…this combination actually sounds perfect – apple goes with walnuts and cheddar so well, and caramelized onions sounds like just the right addition to round it out! This would make a great lunch!

December 3, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Yeah, I had the idea for an apple pizza for a while too and it also took me a while to come up with ideas for what else to put on it! ๐Ÿ™‚ My original idea involved lettuce (kind of an apple salad pizza), but I think this is a lot better.

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    December 2, 2012 at 10:52 pm

This looking so tasty! As odd as that is to say about pizza – it sounds like a good hearty winter/fall type recipe

December 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm

It is totally perfect for fall. I think after Thanksgiving ended, I suddenly lost interest in pumpkin and moved onto apples. I can’t get enough of them lately!