“Add caramelized onions! Caramelized onions!”
I tried to resist because, well, I don’t want you guys to think that I have to add caramelized onions to everything I make. (Note: of course I have to add caramelized onions to everything I make, because caramelized onions are delicious.) I wanted to do something different! But then as I was getting ready to make this, I realized that we had an extra onion sitting all lonely and sad on the countertop. I mean, obviously, the universe was talking to me right there. If the universe wants me to put caramelized onions on a pizza, I can’t say no, right?
Now, caramelizing the onions adds some extra time to making this, so if you want to omit them, you can. But you can also make the onions in advance. (I have a handy tutorial on how to caramelize onions on my blog too!) You can make a big batch of them over the weekend when you have more time and then plan a few meals that use them for throughout the week–they’ll last about 5-6 days in the fridge, so it works out perfectly.
So with a prepared pizza crust and your batch of pre-made caramelized onions, this pizza makes for a really quick dinner. Saute the apples, throw everything on the crust, bake it and you’ve got a delicious sweet-and-savory apple cheddar pizza in about 20 minutes.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 apple cored and thinly sliced (Braeburn, Fuji, or Honeycrisp work well)
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 large prepared pizza crust
- 1 c. shredded aged cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes or so at first and then, as the onions begin to brown, more frequently. This could take from 30 minutes to over an hour, depending on your stove. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package.
- Wipe skillet clean; add butter and melt over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add apple slices and saute for about 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently. Stir in maple syrup and continue cooking until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Top pizza crust with caramelized onions, shredded cheese, apples, and walnuts. Bake for time indicated on package or until cheese has melted.