We’ve reached that point in the summer when I’ve decided that I’ve had enough of the season. To be fair, I’ve never been a summer person in the slightest (team fall all the way!), but after numerous weeks of oppressive heat? I’m really, really ready for the cool, crisp weather to move on in.
However, I will be sad to see all the gorgeous summer produce disappear come fall. Over the last few weeks we’ve had an abundance of juicy tomatoes in our CSA box, and eggplant is just starting to make an appearance. And I couldn’t be happier.
So it seemed appropriate to combine the two in these simple summer tartines. With toasted bread, an easy chickpea spread and roasted veggies, they are my idea of a perfect lunch or dinner.
Now, first things first. Let’s talk about the chickpea spread. It’s made with just a few ingredients, like olive oil, honey, garlic and lemon. It’s reminiscent of hummus, but not completely, especially since there’s no tahini involved. However, if you’re in a pinch, you could definitely use your favorite plain hummus in its place.
But let’s get to the best part. The topping. Cherry tomatoes and cubed eggplant are roasted in the oven with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper until tender and starting to brown. On their own, roasted cherry tomatoes are one of my very favorite foods, but when combined with the caramelized eggplant? It’s a pretty killer combination.
We pile it all on toasted bread and finish it off with a sprinkle of walnuts for some crunch and some basil for a pop of freshness. Easy and full of the flavors of the season.
These tartines also make for a great meal prep dish. Both the chickpea spread and the roasted veggies can be made in advance and stored in separate containers in the fridge. And if you’re like me, you can even chop up some walnuts and basil so it’s all ready to go for a quick meal during the week.
Summer Veggie Tartines
These summery tartines are made with crusty slices of toast topped with a creamy chickpea spread, juicy roasted cherry tomatoes and eggplant.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: about 4 servings
For the veggies:
- 3/4 pound eggplant, cut into about 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the spread:
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices toasted or grilled bread
- Chopped fresh basil
- Chopped raw walnuts
For the veggies:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Add the eggplant and cherry tomatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread in an even layer. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until the tomatoes have shriveled and the eggplant is tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
For the spread:
- Add all the ingredients for the spread to the bowl of a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add a little water (a tablespoon or so at a time) to get the spread to your desired consistency.
- Smear some of the chickpea spread on a piece of bread. Top with some of the roasted veggies, the basil and chopped walnuts. Serve immediately.