This caramelised onion pasta is an incredibly flavorful vegan weeknight dinner that you won't be able to get enough of! Made with just a handful of simple ingredients, this cheesy and savory dish is guaranteed to impress anyone, and requires just 40 minutes to make.
I think we can all agree that pasta is a meal that one simply can't get bored of. There are so many ways to make it, each one more delicious than the next. And if you're a lover of plant based comfort food like myself, chances are, pasta is at the top of your go-to recipes list.
Caramelised onion pasta is a dish that I make all the time. And I can't believe it's taken me this long to share it on the blog! Caramelised onions in general are a treat, but even better as a sauce for slurpable, delicious pasta. I'm sure you'll love this meal as much as I do. So, I recommend you get it on your weeknight dinner menu, make it for your family/significant other, or keep it all to yourself!
This caramelized onion pasta is seriously phenomenal
The process of caramelising onions takes a little bit longer than the typical pasta sauce I share on my blog. But, it's so worth it! If you love lots of flavor, caramelised onions will 100% become your new favorite thing. That's a guarantee. I also added garlic for an even more fragrant, delightfully comforting pasta dish.
The addition of mushrooms to caramelised onion pasta brings in a great chewy texture, while the balsamic vinegar is a perfect pairing for the onions. I also added fresh chopped cilantro and grated vegan cheese. Use any pasta of your choice (although I'd recommend a long noodle variety), serve and enjoy!
Altogether, this meal is ready in around 40 minutes, most of which is dedicated to caramelising the onions. It's great for enjoying after a busy day, or serving for date night. Regardless of the occasion, I always find myself having multiple portions because it really is that phenomenal.
How to make vegan caramelized onion pasta
Start by heating olive oil in a large skillet over a low-medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Allow the onions to cook and caramelise for around 30 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
Around 5 minutes before the caramelisation process is done, start cooking the pasta according to instructions on packaging. This usually takes around 10-12 minutes.
Add the mushrooms to the skillet, together with salt and balsamic vinegar. Cook for another minutes, continuing to stir frequently, until the mushrooms soften.
Drain the pasta, then transfer it to the skillet together with ½ cup pasta cooking water. Then, add grated vegan cheese and cilantro. Stir together, and you're ready to serve!
Recipe tips and substitutions
- To make the recipe gluten-free, simply use gluten-free pasta.
- If necessary, de-glaze the pan with water to prevent the onions from sticking and burning.
- Caramelized onion pasta is best served immediately. I would not recommend storing it for more than a couple of days.
- If you want to, feel free to add beans or legumes of your choice.
- Instead of vegan cheese, you can add around ¼ cup nutritional yeast to achieve a cheesy flavor.
Other vegan pasta recipes you'll love
- My one pot lemon pasta is a zesty delight!
- Vegan garlic butter pasta is the way to go.
- You can't go wrong with avocado pasta.
- Butter bean pasta is quick and easy to make.
- My roasted red pepper pasta is cozy and comforting.
If you give this vegan caramelized onion pasta a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating! I'd love to hear from you.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over a low-medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Allow the onions to cook and caramelise for around 30 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.3 tbsp olive oil, 4 cloves garlic, 2 large red onions
- Around 5 minutes before the caramelisation process is done, start cooking the pasta according to instructions on packaging.10 oz pasta
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet, together with salt and balsamic vinegar. Cook for another minutes, continuing to stir frequently, until the mushrooms soften.2 cups mushrooms, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Drain the pasta, then transfer it to the skillet together with ½ cup pasta cooking water. Add grated vegan cheese and cilantro. Stir together, and you're ready to serve!½ cup vegan cheese, ½ cup cilantro