I know we’re already halfway through the month of September, but I’m still only tentatively dipping my toes into fall flavors. I’m not ready to fully commit to pumpkin mania. Little known fact about me: I’ve actually never even tried a Pumpkin Spiced Latte.
Did you all just audibly gasp? I know it’s a rather shocking statement.
But even though I’m keeping pumpkin on the shelf at the moment, I have been happily embracing all the different varieties of crisp fall apples that have started to show up at the grocery store. Apples are one of my go-to snacks any time of year (especially with peanut butter!) and of course, who can resist a slice of warm apple pie. But I also love using apples in savory applications, like in these vegan Spiced Chickpea Tacos with Apple-Radish Slaw.
This slaw recipe couldn’t be any easier. It only contains a total of 5 ingredients, and you don’t even really need to be all that fussy about the chopping and slicing. It’s wonderfully fresh and zippy. And while it can certainly be enjoyed on it’s own as a side salad, it’s also great when combined with some spiced roasted chickpeas and creamy hummus. I love when my tacos have a good mix of salty, sweet, creamy and crunchy elements. And I must say, that this recipe definitely satisfies all those requirements.
I’ve used flour tortillas here, but you can certainly use corn tortillas to make this meal completely gluten-free. And to ensure that your chickpeas roast up nice and crunchy, make sure to dry them well before tossing them with the olive oil and spices. I’ve also taken advantage of some store bought hummus to make this a quick and easy weeknight meal, but if you’re feeling motivated you can certainly make your own. Check out these 20 hummus recipes for some inspiration!
For the chickpeas:
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
For the tacos:
- 1 medium red apple cored and chopped
- 4 medium radishes trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- Juice from ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon white sugar (organic for vegan-friendly)
- 6 small tortillas
- ½ cup hummus
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a paper towel, then use a second paper towel to pat them dry. Transfer the dried chickpeas to a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, tossing to coat, then sprinkle evenly with the salt, cumin and paprika. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and roast the chickpeas for 20 minutes, shaking the pan once halfway through the cooking time, until lightly browned and crisp. Remove the roasted chickpeas from the oven and set them aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, add the chopped apple, sliced radishes, cilantro, lime juice and sugar to a bowl, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble the tacos, first warm the tortillas in either your microwave or on your stove top or grill. Then spread about 1 ½ tablespoons of hummus on the warmed tortillas. Top with some of the roasted chickpeas and the apple-radish slaw. Serve immediately.
[email protected] says
Oh wow, I never thought to mix apples into my tacos. Excited to try this out after I go apple-picking in a few weeks!
Let me know how it turns out!