Serve up this vegan gumbo for dinner this week. Hearty, comforting, and bursting of flavor in each bite. Serve your vegetable loaded vegan gumbo over a bowl of rice. Grab a spoon and dive in to this vegan comfort food dinner.
The thick roux really elevates the flavors and helps the vegetables in this gumbo taste incredible. If you enjoy soups, you have to check out these 50 vegan soup recipes! Two of our favorites are the vegan chicken noodle soup, and the vegan lentil soup.
This Vegan Gumbo Is...
- Thick Roux
- Creole Flavored
- Serve over Rice
- Loaded with Vegetables
- Dairy Free
How to Make Vegan Gumbo
Vegan gumbo is in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk through on how it is made.
- In a stockpot you will melt your butter then saute the peppers, celery, and onions. You want the vegetables to be soften.
- Add in the garlic and cook another minute. Then add in the flour and creole seasoning.
- Stir to combine and then slowly add in the vegetable broth and potatoes and kidney beans and bay leaf.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.
Tips For Vegan Gumbo
Saute Vegetables First
Make sure to saute the onion, pepper, and celery first. It is important because it will enhance the flavor of the gumbo to a whole new level of flavor.
Having a heavy stockpot for cooking the gumbo is key. Having a heavy pot means it will cook evenly and not have hot spots in the pan. That way you get an even cook on your gumbo.
You need to add in the flour and stir for around 1-2 minutes. This is needed as it is going to remove the flavor of the flour. Otherwise if you pour the stock in right away, it is going to not create that delicious thick roux that smothers the vegetables.
Vegan Gumbo Variations
So with gumbo it is a great time to pick and choose all types of veggies. Throw in zucchini, okra, or any other favorite veggies to add more layers of flavor. This is a great way to clean out your pantry.
Once your gumbo is done, consider adding a few splashes of hot sauce in the pot, or in each bowl to add even more of a kick of spice in your gumbo.
Vegan Gumbo Common Questions
How to store leftover gumbo?
You will store any leftover gumbo you do not eat right away, in the fridge in an airtight container. The gumbo is going to thicken a bit more once it chills. Then you can warm it up in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
Can you freeze gumbo?
So you can freeze the gumbo, but it will alter the texture of the vegetables. The veggies are going to become quite a bit softer once it thaws from being frozen.
Does the recipe double well?
Just ensure you grab a large pot that will hold it all. Then double or even triple the recipe. It is a great recipe to serve a crowd, meal prep with, etc.
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onion, celery, green peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until veggies start to soften
- Add the garlic and cook one additional minute, then sprinkle the flour, creole seasoning over the veggies and stir
- Gradually stir in the vegetable broth.
- Then add in the potatoes and kidney beans and bay leaf
- Bring mixture to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste, serve warm with rice