This vegan chicken noodle soup is a delicious plant based alternative to the classic recipe, featuring lots of vegetables like carrots and cabbage. It makes an amazing lunch or dinner that's made with simple ingredients, and ready in 25 minutes.
Chicken noodle soup is one of the few popular classic recipes that took me a long time to veganise. And now, I realise just how much I've been missing out! Despite how straightforward it is and the simplicity of the ingredients, the flavors are amazingly savory and comforting. It shows that you can make anything vegan, even if one of the main ingredients is chicken!
Even non-vegans that frequently eat chicken noodle soup will love this recipe. Make a huge batch for family or friends and save the rest to enjoy for lunch throughout the week - if there's any left! I always end up going back for seconds when I make this soup. A thick slice of bread on the side is very much recommended!
Vegan chicken noodle soup ingredients
- Olive oil. This will be used for cooking the vegetables and the vegan chicken.
- Onion and garlic. Sauté them right at the start for a lot of flavor.
- Vegan chicken alternative. I used homemade vegan chicken, but you can check below for other alternatives.
- Spices: paprika, cumin and garlic powder. Adjust the amounts depending on your personal preferences.
- Vegetables: I used carrots, celery, zucchini and cabbage, however feel free to add other vegetables of your choice.
- Vegetable stock.
- Pasta or noodles of your choice.
- Nutritional yeast. This is great for adding an amazing cheesy flavor.
- Coconut milk. Canned coconut milk is great for making the soup more creamy. You can use any plant based milk of your choice instead.
- Spinach, or another leafy green of your choice.
- Salt and pepper for seasoning to taste.
Vegan chicken alternatives
For this recipe, as for my vegan chicken sandwiches, I used my homemade vegan chicken. Made using seitan, it has a great texture and flavor, making it perfect for using in vegan chicken noodle soup. You can, however, use any store-bought vegan chicken alternative, whether chicken chunks or pulled chick'n.
Jackfruit is another great alternative - just cook it for a little bit longer before adding the vegetables and the broth to make it more flavorful. You can also use beans of your choice, such as chickpeas, lentils, crumbled tofu, or soy curls.
How to make vegan chicken noodle soup
Start by heating the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Now add the onion and garlic, sautéing for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
Next, add the vegan chicken, paprika, cumin and garlic powder. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, until lightly browned.
Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, and cabbage and/or any other vegetables you're using. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
Add the vegetable stock, pasta/noodles, nutritional yeast, and coconut milk. Simmer over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is fully cooked through. Add more vegetable broth if necessary.
Stir in the spinach right at the end and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve when the spinach wilts.
You can keep this vegan chicken noodle soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat on the stove by stirring until fully warmed through, or in the microwave.
The homemade vegan chicken I used is made using vital wheat gluten, meaning that it's not gluten-free. However, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free vegan chicken alternative and pasta.
Other delicious vegan soup recipes
- My vegan lasagna soup is another super comforting and easy meal!
- A noodle soup with roasted chickpeas makes a great cosy dinner.
- You can't go wrong with a bowl of vegan lentil soup!
- If you love sweet potatoes, you will love sweet potato soup!
If you give this recipe a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegan chicken
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- ½ cup cabbage chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups pasta
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 2 cups spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Next, the onion and garlic, sautéing for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the vegan chicken, paprika, cumin and garlic granules. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, until lightly browned.
- Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, and cabbage and/or any other vegetables you're using. Cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
- Add the vegetable stock, pasta/noodles, nutritional yeast, and coconut milk. Simmer over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is fully cooked through. Add more vegetable broth if necessary.
- Stir in the spinach right at the end and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve when the spinach wilts.