Entrees/ Make It Meatless/ Recipes/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Kung Pao Veggies

Kung Pao Veggies Recipe

Kung Pao Veggies
You can go to almost any Chinese restaurant and order Kung Pao Chicken, but I have never seen a vegetarian version on a restaurant menu. This means that if you stop eating meat, you can never eat Kung Pao again.

Okay, no, not really. You just have to make your own meatless version. That’s easy to do!

I started with a recipe from Epicurious and the first thing I did was take out the chicken. That goes without saying, right? I had planned on replacing the chicken with vegetables, but made a last minute decision to add tempeh when I was at the grocery store. If you’re not familiar with tempeh, I have a primer about it here. It has a slightly nutty flavor and it’s a great source of plant-based protein. It can be found in most grocery stores now, usually in the refrigerated case in the produce section; if you can’t find it near you, add 8 ounces of extra veggies instead.

Kung Pao Veggies
The last time I bought whole dried chili peppers, they sat in our pantry for years, so I decided to eliminate those from the recipe and use red pepper flakes instead, which most of us have on hand; I added a conservative amount of them to keep this recipe comfortably spicy, but feel free to add more red pepper flakes if you prefer more POW in your Kung Pao. I used mirin in place of the Chinese rice wine and omitted the sichuan pepper too. While this makes the recipe a little less authentic, it does make it more doable, which is important too. Sichuan peppercorns were banned in the United States for many years, so many restaurant versions of Kung Pao Chicken are made without it anyway.

Although I made some ingredient swaps, this vegetarian Kung Pao cooks up the same as the original recipe, with just a few extra minutes added to the cooking time to soften the veggies. Serve these Kung Pao Veggies over rice or quinoa and you will never miss carryout again!

Kung Pao Veggies

Kung Pao Veggies Recipe

A meatless version of Kung Pao Chicken made with tempeh and vegetables. Adapted from Diane Kuan’s Kung Pao Chicken from The Chinese Takeout Cookbook, via Epicurious.

• Yield: 4-6 servings

• 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce, divided
  • 1 tablespoon mirin
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
  • 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cubed
  • 1 small zucchini, cut into thick half moons
  • 1 small eggplant, cubed
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons grapeseed or peanut oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add more or less to adjust the heat level)
  • 3 green onions, white and green parts separated, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
  • Cooked rice or quinoa for serving

1. Whisk together 2 tablespoons of tamari, mirin, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of corn starch in a small bowl. Put the tempeh, zucchini, eggplant, and bell pepper in a large, shallow baking dish and pour the sauce mixture over them. Toss to coat and let the veggies marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
  2. While the veggies are marinating, whisk together the vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and remaining tamari and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat with grapeseed oil and add the red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until the oil is fragrant and the pepper flakes are beginning to darken. Add the tempeh and veggie mixture to the wok and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the eggplant and zucchini is tender.
  4. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic, and ginger to the wok and cook for 30 seconds. Pour the sauce into the wok and stir to coat, then add the peanuts and cook for another minute. Remove from heat. Serve over rice or quinoa and garnish with the remaining green onions.

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl
    February 26, 2014 at 8:25 am

I need this in my life!!!

dishing up the dirt
    February 26, 2014 at 10:22 am

Yum! Great recipe and thank you for eliminating the dried pepper and using red pepper flakes instead!!!

February 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm

That was out of my own cheapness–I knew if I bought whole peppers, I would never use them all. :/

Kathryn
    February 26, 2014 at 11:31 am

I really love that kung pao sauce + I’m super excited about a proper veggie version. So good.

Morgan
    February 26, 2014 at 11:32 am

This looks so delicious! I’ve been a fan of all your other stir fry recipes – can’t wait to try this one, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kerri
    February 26, 2014 at 11:43 am

I make kung pao tofu that is real similar to this. Instead of just regular sesame oil, I use a combo of sesame & chili oil. And I always double my sauce.

February 26, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I have plans on tackling tofu next! ๐Ÿ™‚

Alissa
    February 26, 2014 at 12:33 pm

If you’re ever in Philadelphia you have to out some of the Chinese vegetarian places in Chinatown. They have entire menus that look just like regular Chinese menus, but everything is vegetarian. You can get Kung Pao tofu, Kung Pao seitan…it’s amazing. Sadly, I don’t live in the city anymore, so that stuff is no longer easily accessible. So I’m glad you posted this recipe. It sounds great and love the addition of tempeh. I will definitely give this one a try ๐Ÿ™‚

February 26, 2014 at 3:01 pm

We moved to a city that had one of those restaurants several years ago, so to celebrate our move, we ordered takeout from them the first night we were in our new apartment. Chris went to pick it up and as soon as he got it home, we realized it was ALL REAL MEAT. The restaurant had closed and a new Chinese restaurant opened up in the same spot, using the same phone number. Sigh. Somedayโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ™‚

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    February 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Yes!! Another fantastic way for me to prepare one of my favorite foods: tempeh! ๐Ÿ™‚

February 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

It’s definitely one of my favorites too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    February 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm

these look like the real stuff. i cant wait to try.

Carrie
    February 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm

This looks amazing! Was thinking though in order to avoid the corn starch what about using tapioca starch? I’ve found it makes a pretty good swap out. Can’t wait to try this! Even though I eat meat I’ve really enjoyed your recipes, and have found them very versatile when adding meat or changing them up to accomidate different taste buds. ๐Ÿ™‚

February 27, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I haven’t cooked with tapioca starch myself, but if you’ve used it in place of corn starch in other recipes before, I’m sure it would work in this one too! ๐Ÿ™‚ And thanks for the kind words about Oh My Veggies!

Pankti
    February 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I love Kung Pao …and I was lucky, near my old apartment there was a place that served Kung Pao Tofu. I fell in love with the dish as soon as I tried it first time. But haven’t been able to successfully replicate it at home (now that we dont live nearby that carryout place), because I simply cannot deep fry tofu as much as these carry out places do. My deep fried tofu always turns out chewy from inside, which is okay, not that bad, but still not as good as the Kung Pao Tofu I fell in love with.
    Anyway, I definitely wanna give it a try with tempeh and the vegetables although I have never tried tempeh, but heard a lot of good things about it.

Your blog really is beautiful, and the recipes are very unique and creative. Plus the meal plans do help. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks,
    Pankti

March 2, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I’ve been able to successfully replicate the way Thai restaurants cook their tofu, but I can’t figure out how to get it like Chinese restaurants either. I can get it close, but not quite the same. I usually cook mine in a few tablespoons of oil rather than deep-frying because I’m certain I will burn down my kitchen if I attempt it. ๐Ÿ™‚

February 26, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Oh, I can just imagine how delectable this is! I appreciate you considering how to make the recipe more doable/accessible. One of the reasons I haven’t tried much Asian-inspired cooking is because of the specialty ingredients. But I love Kung Pao! Must make this soon ๐Ÿ™‚

February 27, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I admit, I usually sub out those ingredients for things I already have or can easily find. Sometimes you have to make compromises. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Joel A.
    February 27, 2014 at 3:17 am

Love the rich colors. This dish must be very delicious.

I don’t see a lot of grocery stores selling tempeh here in my location. I’ll just replace tempeh with tofu.

February 27, 2014 at 2:21 pm

If you make it with tofu, you might want to sautรฉ the cubes in oil first (until they’re crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside), set them aside, and then add them back to the stir fry when you add the sauce.

Letty Flatt
        February 27, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I love the tempeh idea. I too make Kung Pao Tofu and it is fabulous. (Saute the tofu till golden and add at last minute infidelity the method.
        I am pinning this so I remember to make it soon.

March 2, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for the pin! I’m eager to try making Kung Pao Tofu now! ๐Ÿ™‚

Cara's Healthy Cravings
    February 27, 2014 at 10:53 am

Recipe bookmarked and pinned! I look forward to trying this out!

Angie (@angiesrecipess)
    February 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I love kung pao flavours….so good with some steamed rice.

Meg @ Beard and Bonnet
    February 27, 2014 at 12:27 pm

This looks so good!!!

Judy P
    February 27, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I made the mistake of buying a large bag of dried peppers at a Hispanic grocery store and then didn’t know what to do with them. I decided one day, (after them sitting in the cabinet for months) to chop them in my good grinder. DO NOT EVER DO THIS unless you are wearing a mask of some kind. A hankie over your nose and mouth, anything!!! I couldn’t hardly breathe for days!! The powder formed from the dried peppers like to have roasted my airway. So yes, now I only buy the flakes!! It’s kind of funny now, but not then.

February 27, 2014 at 2:17 pm

When I was a kid, my dad made chili with those peppers and the same thing happened–it was like our whole house had been sprayed with pepper spray. They are REALLY strong!

Stephanie @ Henry Happened
    February 27, 2014 at 2:25 pm

This is totally making me hungry – I’m such a sucker for Chinese food but it always tastes so much better at home. And I still need to try tempeh!

February 27, 2014 at 2:46 pm

You do need to try it! It’s delicious. ๐Ÿ™‚ And when you crumble it up, it’s just like ground beef.

Joanne
    February 27, 2014 at 11:23 pm

So coincidental – just this week my lab went out for Chinese food and had a whole discussion about kung pao chicken! And it is sad that there is no veg counterpart. Until now. Love this!

March 2, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I would love to just work my way through an entire Chinese menu–there are so many dishes I’d love to be able to eat but can’t!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    February 28, 2014 at 4:53 am

I sure hope to jump on the “tempeh” liking bandwagon soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 2, 2014 at 7:53 pm

It took me a while to warm up to it too. Just like tofu! I had to try it a few times before I liked it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    February 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I love the sound of a vegetarian version of Kung Pao chicken. This looks so much better than any takeout option!

March 2, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thank you! I always love the idea of takeout, but it’s usually so heavy, I feel kind of sick afterwards!

Paula โ€“ bellโ€™alimento
    March 1, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I love the idea of a vegetarian version of Kung Pao chicken. Must try this soon! Pinning!

Tina Muir
    March 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

This looks so wonderful! I had kung pal calamari the other day, so good! I love getting lots of vegetables in to fuel my hard training for my running, but sometimes they can get boring, this is a recipe I can make, that I know will be nutritious and delicious! Thank you!

The Gilded Sprout
    March 4, 2014 at 5:20 pm

This looks fantastic. There are all kinds of Chinese dishes that always seems to only come with meat and so making veggie versions at home is a great choice! Thank you for the recipe!

March 5, 2014 at 8:48 pm

If I had the time, I would make vegetarian versions of all of them! ๐Ÿ™‚

March 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I tried making my own kung pao dish once following a recipe I had seen, but it was soo spicy that I couldn’t even eat it! This version sounds much more manageable, and I like the choice of veggies (I still prefer tofu for Asian style dishes though)!

March 9, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, that’s why I cut down on the heat! I love spicy food, but when the heat overpowers every other flavor, it’s way too much for me. I figured if people wanted it spicier, they could add more red pepper flakes. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s easier to add more than to take it out!

Beth
    March 26, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I made this tonight, subbed cauliflower for the eggplant cause that’s what I had in the fridge (can’t wait to try it with the eggplant), and we enjoyed it SO much. It is really great. If you’re thinking about trying this, do it, you will not be disappointed.

It will remain on my rotation! Thanks so much.

March 27, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Ooh, that’s good to know it worked with cauliflower! I might have to try that. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe!