Appetizers/ Entrees/ Recipes/ Sides/ vegetarian recipes

Crispy Cauliflower-Carrot Fritters with Smoky Garlic Aioli

Crispy Cauliflower Carrot Fritters with Smoky Garlic Aioli Recipe

Crispy Cauliflower Carrot Fritters with Smoky Garlic Aioli
For a few years, I worked as a periodicals clerk at a public library. It was a pretty sweet job because I essentially got paid to sit at a desk and read magazines. My actual job was to retrieve magazines for patrons who asked for them because we kept all of our magazines in a back room, but since that didn’t happen very often, most of the time I got to do whatever I wanted. And I wanted to read magazines! At the time, I had just moved in with Chris and I was just learning how to really cook, so the cooking magazines were my favorites. Ever since then, I have been a total Cooking Light fangirl. No, it’s not strictly vegetarian! But it has lots of inventive vegetarian recipes.

I was looking for dinner ideas a few weeks ago and came upon a recipe for Crispy Broccoli-Carrot Fritters with Yogurt Dill Sauce in a recent issue of Cooking Light and thought I would try making the fritters with cauliflower instead of broccoli. And the sauce? I replaced that with a cashew-cream based Smoky Garlic Aioli. I love me some cashew cream! If you don’t have a mayo-aversion like I do, you can use mayo instead and make a more traditional aioli.

Crispy Cauliflower Carrot Fritters with Smoky Garlic Aioli
The smoky aioli is perfect with the cheesy, crispy fritters. And these come together super quickly too—from start to finish, they’re done in about 30 minutes. While the batter might seem like it’s not going to hold together, have faith because it will! Use your spatula to press each patty into shape on the skillet and then flip them over carefully.

Crispy Cauliflower Carrot Fritters with Smoky Garlic Aioli

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 8 fritters

Serving Size: 2 fritters

Crispy Cauliflower Carrot Fritters with Smoky Garlic Aioli

Crispy little veggie fritters served with a cashew cream-based Smoky Garlic Aioli. Adapted from Cooking Light's Crispy Broccoli-Carrot Fritters with Yogurt-Dill Sauce.

Crispy Cauliflower-Carrot Fritters
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    Smoky Garlic Aioli
  • 3/4 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for 4 to 8 hours
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Crispy Cauliflower-Carrot Fritters
  1. Combine the water, cauliflower, and carrots in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes, then drain well. Place the cauliflower and carrots on a few layers of paper towels and pat dry. Transfer to a cutting board and finely chop.
  2. Place the chopped veggies in a large bowl; add flour and stir to coat. Fold in the cheese, salt, pepper, green onions, and egg.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Put the fritter mixture into the skillet 1/4 cup at a time, using a spatula to flatten each fritter into shape. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes, then carefully flip over and cook for about 4 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil if needed.
    Smoky Garlic Aioli
  1. Drain and rinse the cashews. Combine the cashews, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, and 1/4 cup of water in a blender and blend until smooth. If needed, add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the fritters.

This recipe makes a little extra aioli. Use it on burgers and sandwiches or as a dip for veggies. It will last in the fridge for a few days.

Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
    November 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

Oh my goodness, low-carb, vegetarian, and totally yummy. I know a lot of people this will make happy. I will have to share today. I love cashew cream too. So creamy!

November 11, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Katy
    November 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm

These cauliflower fritters look awesome, I would even have them for breakfast. Plus, your cashew cream is so…creamy! I can never get mine that smooth but it could be my blender. Do you normally soak your cashews for the full 8 hours?

November 11, 2013 at 9:14 pm

If I know I’ll forget to soak them, I start first thing in the morning, but usually I only soak them for about 4 hours. Sometimes even 2! I do have a Vitamix, so I think that helps, but I’ve successfully made cashew cream in my food processor too. One thing I’ve learned is that you really need to make about a cup at a time, unless you have a smaller blender/food processor. When I try to make smaller amounts, it just doesn’t blend as smooth.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    November 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm

These are totally right up my alley considering I LOVE carrots and really enjoy finding creative ways to eat cauliflower. I will SO be trying these bad boys!

November 11, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I can take or leave carrots, but I loooove cauliflower. 🙂

Grace @ Earthy Feast
    November 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I just had lunch but these cute little things have me drooling!

Holly
    November 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Cooking Light was the first cooking magazine I ordered fresh out of college and years later I am still so happy when a new issue arrives in my mailbox! Love how you adapted this recipe, looks great!

November 11, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’m always excited to get it in the mail too–I flip through it immediately and start tearing out recipes, then I read it later! 🙂

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen
    November 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm

One summer when I was in college I was a receptionist. Early on my boss mentioned I could bring a book and read in the time I wasn’t answering phones. I read 20 books that summer. Coincidentally I also started reading Cooking Light that summer. I love cauliflower and these fritters are right up my alley!

November 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Aren’t those the best kinds of jobs?! I had a few of those when I was in college. 🙂

Gretchen @ Two Healthy Kitchens
    November 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I love (LOVE!) the cashew cream for the aioli sauce!! Genius!! I, too, am not a huge fan of mayo (can’t say I have an aversion … I just don’t particularly care for it all the time!) so I think using the cashews are so smart! Mmmmm and I love the taste of cashews! Ah! I wish what I was having for dinner would work with this sauce! Sadly, it doesn’t 🙁
    The fritters look amazing as well – your photographs are gorgeous!

November 11, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Thank you! Cashew aioli is my current favorite thing. I could put it on evvvvverything! 🙂

Puja @ Indiaphile.info
    November 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm

These look so yummy! And I totally love the cashew aioli! 🙂

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    November 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I love cauliflower (and carrots!), what tasty looking fritters!

Nichole @ Green Cuisine Queen
    November 11, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Those look so good! I’m surprised at how simple they are to make. May be on this week’s menu!

November 11, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I hope you like them if you make them! 🙂

Patricia
    November 11, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Ohyumohyumohyum!! These look amazing and easy to make! Look forward to trying the cashew aioli. (love Cooking Light, too!) Thanks!

November 11, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I’m a little bit addicted to cashew aioli. 🙂 I just made a sriracha version yesterday!

dawn
    November 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

How about substituting 1/2 c of gluten free all purpose flour? ???

November 12, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’m not gluten-free, so I can’t say for sure how gluten-free substitutes would work in this recipe because I haven’t tested them myself.

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate
    November 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I like this vegan take on aioli. Anything wish cashews sounds good to me!

November 11, 2013 at 11:06 pm

So good and delicious! Love your aioli 🙂

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen
    November 11, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I definitely don’t have a mayo aversion, but I’ve been really wanting to try cashew cream. Love this idea! Cooking Light will probably always be my favorite food magazine.

November 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Yes, give it a try! It is so good. 🙂

November 12, 2013 at 12:08 am

This looks amazing!! I love how you can see all the colorful veg, as opposed to beige potato pancakes. And I’m a sucker for aioli. Must try.

November 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Well, potato pancakes are always good too! I will never turn down a potato pancake! 😉

Tracy
    November 12, 2013 at 12:53 am

Your photoging skillz on this particular is making me want to recreate recipe by the metric ton. Or I’m munchie and these just look ridiculous! Or both, which is more true 😀

November 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thank you! I had no idea how to photograph these, so I just threw them on an old baking sheet, but somehow it worked out. 🙂

Maura
    November 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

There is something green in this… what is it?

November 12, 2013 at 8:07 pm

It’s the green onions.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    November 12, 2013 at 11:45 am

I just made cauliflower fritters over the weekend! Bah! They were with white beans and spinach though- no carrots, so they’re different but I shot them on an old baking sheet too! This is so funny. Great vegetarian minds think alike I guess. 😉

I didn’t make a cashew based aioli for mine though- that sounds amazing! Okay, the whole recipe sounds amazing but that really takes it over the top. I’ll have to give this version a try after I eat up my leftovers!

November 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Ha! I’m so glad I had that baking sheet, because I really could not figure out how to shoot them. 🙂 I love the idea of adding spinach and white beans–I bet they’d be really good with marinara sauce!

Julie
    November 12, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I don’t even know what to say about these, other than they are going on my to-make list ASAP.

Robin Gagnon
    November 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Yum, these look like something I could promptly gobble up.

Erika
    November 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Are we twins? I <3 Cooking Light and hate mayo too!! Jk. But omgosh woman you're killing it with the recipes. I love the lumpy, bumpy texture of these. I just want to eat about a million.

November 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Woo hoo! Mayo haters unite! It just squicks me out. 😛

Tiffany Olson
    November 12, 2013 at 7:49 pm

These look great! What non-wheat flours would work? Thanks!

November 12, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’m not gluten-free and I don’t cook with non-wheat flours much, so I really can’t make any suggestions without having tested them myself.

Ash-foodfashionparty
    November 12, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Love these vegetable fritters. Perfect for holiday parties.
    this would be so good as a stuffing in pitas, yum.

November 14, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Yes, they would be awesome in pitas or wraps!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen
    November 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

cashew cream + fritters…I don’t think there could be a better combo. Totally loving these!

• 1 2 3