We have lots of favorite pizza restaurants–a favorite for New York style pizza, a favorite for Italian style pizza, and a favorite for cheap pizza. Glass Nickel is our favorite restaurant for pizza pizza–it’s just good, respectable, everyday pizza. And we always get the same thing when we go there: the Thai Pie.
The Thai Pie is a pizza topped with peanut sauce, cheese, broccoli, onions, red peppers, and chicken. Obviously the chicken is problematic, so we substitute mushrooms for the chicken pieces. Peanut sauce on pizza (especially pizza with cheese) should not work–it shouldn’t! But somehow it does. I’ve had Thai pizza elsewhere, but I swear, Glass Nickel’s is the best by far.
I don’t think my vegetarian Thai pizza quite measures up to Glass Nickel’s version, but it’s still quite tasty–I just can’t pin down the flavors of the peanut sauce they use. If you don’t want to make your own peanut sauce, the peanut sauce made by Native is pretty darn good (and it’s vegetarian–a lot of peanut sauces are not, so check the label!)
A vegetarian Thai pizza inspired by Glass Nickel's Thai Pie.
- cooking spray or oil mister
- 3 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (use less if your peanut butter is already sweetened!)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 prepared pizza crust (or make your own)
- 3/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed
- Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package.
- Heat cooking spray or oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms until softened and browned, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together peanut butter, vinegar, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Add additional water if needed, one tablespoon at a time, until sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
- Spread sauce onto pizza crust. Top with cheese, mushrooms, red pepper rings, and broccoli florets. Bake in oven according to crust instructions.