My husband always says that Mexican food is just the same ingredients rearranged in a different format. While there might be some truth in that, I don’t care! It’s still my favorite cuisine. You can’t go wrong with peppers, salsa, and guacamole.
Naturally when I thought of what kind of pizza toppings I want for this magical sweet potato crust, my mind instantly went to Mexican. The flavors of cumin and chili powder pair wonderfully with the slight sweetness of the potato.
At first I was skeptical of the sweet potato crust because of my past experiences with cauliflower crusts. I would spend an hour in the kitchen washing and chopping the cauliflower as the little white bits scattered over the counter and the floor. Then after steaming the cauliflower you need to use half a roll of paper towels just to remove the excess moisture. All for a wimpy crust that you can’t even pick up to eat! No thanks.
I’m happy to report that the sweet potato crust is much easier to make. It only requires a handful of ingredients that are blended together in a food processor. I’ve found that baking it on parchment paper directly on the oven rack allows the center to get as crispy as possible, so I recommend doing without the baking sheet for this one.
Another tip is to keep the toppings on the light side. If you pile too much on there you won’t be able to pick it up. I did this the first time and had to eat it with a fork and a knife. Still delicious, just not very pizza-like.
Between the fiber in the sweet potato and oats, and protein in the black beans, this pizza makes for a filling meal. I like to serve it with avocado for ultimate bliss. Enjoy!
Mexican-Style Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust
This satisfying and healthy pizza is made with a sweet potato crust that’s piled high with spicy Mexican-inspired toppings.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 slices 1x
For the sweet potato pizza crust:
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the toppings:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend
- cilantro, avocado, and/or diced fresh tomato for topping
Prepare the sweet potato pizza crust:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Set a 14-inch long piece of parchment paper on a flat surface.
- In a food processor fitted with an S-blade, blend the oats to a fine crumb. Add the raw diced sweet potato, egg, garlic powder and salt, then continue to blend until the mixture becomes dough-like.
- Transfer the mixture to the parchment paper, and then use your hands to form a 10-inch round circle that’s roughly 1/2-inch thick. Carefully transfer the parchment paper to the oven and place it directly on the rack. Allow to cook for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are light golden brown. Cool for at least 10 minutes before topping.
Prepare the toppings:
- In a large skillet warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and then cook for 3 minutes. Next add the bell pepper, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika. Continue to cook for about 7 minutes, until the peppers are tender. Turn the heat off.
- Once the crust has cooled, spread a thin layer of salsa on top. Add the black beans and cooked pepper mixture, and then finish with the cheese. Bake in the oven at 400°F for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve with cilantro, avocado and/or fresh tomato and enjoy!