Looking for a light and healthy meal that's bursting with flavor? Check out these vegan lettuce wraps! Packed with colorful veggies, black beans, and a creamy vegan mayo sauce, this dish is both satisfying and refreshing. Plus, it's low-carb and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it.
I'm a sucker for Mexican flavors, but sometimes I'm craving those flavors in something a bit lighter. And so these healthy vegan lettuce wraps were born!
They're packed with savory flavor, refreshingly crunchy, and super easy to make in just 15 minutes, making them a perfect weeknight dinner.
But the best part? You can chow down on these wraps without any guilt because they're low-carb and gluten-free too.
Just scoop the black bean mixture into fresh lettuce leaves and serve up your slightly sweet, savory, and crunchy lettuce wrap.
This Vegan Lettuce Wraps recipe is...
- Naturally gluten-free
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Made without any cooking
Let's get cooking!
How to Make Vegan Lettuce Wraps
- Start by adding the beans, corn, red onion, tomatoes, and avocado to a bowl.
- Next, add in the vegan mayonnaise, salt, lime juice, and oil.
- Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients. Taste, and then season more if needed.
- Spoon the black bean mixture into lettuce wraps, then top with cilantro and serve.
Full directions on how to make Vegan Lettuce Wraps are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Vegan Lettuce Wraps
Repurpose the filling. If you have leftover black bean filling, you can use it as a topping for pizza or baked potatoes. Check out this Vegan Mexican Pizza and these Stuffed Vegan Mexican Sweet Potatoes for inspiration!
Serve it immediately. This is one recipe I recommend making right before serving. If you let the filling sit, the avocado can lose its bright color and start to brown.
Rinse the beans. Make sure that you drain and rinse your black beans before adding them into the filling mixture. Black beans are canned in a thick, viscous liquid, and they need to be fully rinsed before use.
Variations to Vegan Lettuce Wraps
Mix up the Spices. I went with a Mexican inspired seasoning for these lettuce wraps, but you can use this as a base recipe with any seasoning you prefer. Add some red chili flakes for extra heat, some lemon pepper for more mild spice, or go with an Asian inspired take like these Tempeh Lettuce Wraps.
Substitute the black beans. If you don't care for black beans, you could easily swap them for chickpeas or even pinto or cannellini beans.
Mix up the veggies. Consider raiding your fridge and using whatever veggies you have on hand. Just about anything goes here. Maybe dice up some peppers or toss in some sweet peas. Get creative!
Add Cauliflower Rice. For extra bulk, you can mix in some cooked cauliflower rice. Adding the "rice" will also stretch the black bean mixture to make more lettuce wraps. Just let it cool before adding so it doesn't wilt the lettuce leaves.
Vegan Lettuce Wraps FAQs
What lettuce should I use for lettuce wraps?
I recommend using Romaine, bibb, or Boston lettuce for lettuce wraps. These varieties have large sturdy leaves that hold up nicely when filled.
How do you store leftovers?
If you don't eat all the black bean wraps, simply store the black bean and corn mixture in the refrigerator. You will find that the avocado will brown after it sits, though it is still perfectly alright to eat. Adding lime juice to the veggie mixture will help to prevent the browning.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
- Sesame Ginger Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- Mango Tempeh Vegetarian Wraps
- Grilled Teriyaki Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- Vietnamese Style Tempeh Lettuce Wraps
- 12 lettuce leaves rinsed and dried
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz canned yellow corn drained, or fresh corn kernels
- 1 red onion medium, chopped
- 2 avocado ripe, chopped
- 3 tomatoes medium, chopped
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 1 tsp salt
- cilantro leaves fresh, chopped, for garnish
- Combine the black beans, corn, red onion, avocado, and tomatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add the vegan mayonnaise, salt, lime juice, and oil. Stir to combine.
- Divide the black bean mixture evenly into the lettuce wraps.
- Serve wraps immediately with chopped cilantro as a garnish.
- For additional spice, add some red chili flakes.
- Lettucees like bibb, Romaine, or Boston are best for this recipe.