Craving sushi? Try out my sweet potato roll recipe, that is a vegetarian sushi roll! This recipe is a sweet potato and rice sushi wrapped in a traditional seaweed wrap. A must make recipe that is perfect for dipping and devouring for lunch, dinner, or as a party appetizer.
This easy sweet potato roll recipe is one that is so delicious and full of flavor in each bite with the traditional sticky rice you expect in sushi. While this is a meatless sushi it doesn't lack in flavor.
This Sweet Potato Roll Recipe Is...
- Gluten Free
How to Make Sweet Potato Sushi Rolls
Full steps on how to make sweet potato sushi rolls are in the printable recipe below. This is a quick walk through.
- Preheat the oven and line your baking dish.
- Then prep your sweet potato and place on pan. Then drizzle with oils and add salt. Bake as directed.
- Next let the potatoes cool and then grab ingredients for rolls.
- Lay the nori flat, add rice, and a line of sweet potato strips.
- Moisten the nori and then work at rolling tightly.
- Slice and then sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Helpful Tips For Sweet Potato Rolls
When you go to moisten the nori make sure to use a small amount of water. This is going to act as the glue to stick the roll together. If you do too much water it can break it down too much.
Make sure to cook your rice in advance, and then store in the fridge. I used a sushi rice, you are welcome to use any type of rice.
Make sure to wrap the sushi tightly. If you don't make it tight enough it will fall apart when you go to slice the roll.
Consider investing in a sushi mat. This is going to be a key tool to use for wrapping up the sushi easily and making sure it stays together.
Variations to Sweet Potato Rolls
You are welcome to add other vegetables in the sushi rolls. Avocado is a great filling option for this sushi roll.
You can use a different type of wrapper instead of the nori if you want. You can consider doing a cucumber wrap, rice wrapper, etc. For the cucumber you will thinly slice the cucumber to make it act as the wrapper.
You can use a cream cheese to add to the filling. You can use a vegan cream cheese easily if you don't want to use dairy.
Sweet Potato Rolls FAQs
How to store leftover sweet potato sushi?
You will want to store your sushi in an airtight container in the fridge. It will store for 2-3 days. You will find that after a couple of days it can begin to fall apart a bit.
How to wrap sushi without a sushi mat?
If you do not have a sushi mat you can easily use parchment paper. Just make the parchment paper a bit larger than your nori. That way you can have a place to hold on to for wrapping.
Can I make these sushi rolls in advance?
Yes, you can make these sushi rolls in advance if you want. Just wrap and store them in the fridge. Then when you are ready to eat, uncover and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Lay the strips of sweet potato on the baking sheet, drizzle with both oils and sprinkle with salt, toss to mix
- Then bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until tender
- Allow the strips to cool, then assemble the rolls by laying the the nori flat, adding the rice to the center, followed by a line of sweet potato strips
- Moisten the nori that isn't covered with rice with a small amount of water to help it roll and stick together then tightly roll up the sushi
- Slice into 1-2” thick slices, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with soy sauce for dipping if desired
- You can add some salt and a splash of rice wine vinegar to the rice when it is done cooking for a more authentic taste
- You want to use sticky (sushi) rice for this recipe to make sure the rolls stay together
- You can add other ingredients to these rolls such as some cucumber, or avocado