This rustic Smoky Spanish Tomato Soup is packed with vegetables and roasted peppers and spices. Flavourful, speedy and healthy this soup is a great weeknight meal.
Soup is always my go-to remedy when I feel sick. There is something so nourishing about soups. All those vegetables, you just know they are doing you good.
This soup is a riff on a basic vegetable soup I make, with the addition of some of my favourite spices. Smoked paprika adds a lovely depth, and that wonderful smokiness that I just adore.
And a touch of harissa adds a lovely heat. The amount of heat it will bring depends on the brand of harissa you are using. Cheaper supermarket brands tend to be spicier.
If you are using a good quality brand you may need more. Before serving, taste your soup and add more to bring it to a spice level that you like.
Serve this soup with warm crusty bread and a wedge of lemon. Lemon juice adds a little brightness and also helps counter any slight bitterness that the spices might bring.
More Soup Recipes
If you love this Spanish Smoky Tomato Soup, be sure to check out these other incredible soup recipes:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbs smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 600 g roma tomatoes chopped, (1 ⅓ pounds)
- 1 litre vegetable stock (4 cups)
- 400g tin cannellini beans drained, (14 oz)
- 2 red chargrilled capsicums (bell peppers) roughly chopped
- 2 cups italian parsley roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- wedges of lemon to serve
- Place a large saucepan over a medium low heat. Add the onions and cook until softened and slightly golden on the edges. Add the celery, carrot and zucchini and cook until lightly caramelised. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the spices and harissa and cook for a couple of minutes, until fragrant and aromatic. Stir well making sure the spices don't catch and burn as this will make them bitter.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and capsicum (bell peppers) and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Just before serving add the parsley and stir through before ladling into bowls.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon and crusty bread.