This vegan tomato soup with herbs and roasted vegetables is the perfect comfort food for a cold evening! Creamy and with a deep, savory flavor, it’s great served with grilled cheese. Also super easy to make with simple ingredients!
Who doesn’t love a huge bowl of comforting soup?! I certainly do. Especially vegan tomato soup - it’s an all-time favorite of mine, and I make it all the time during colder seasons. There's nothing quite like a huge bowl of comforting deliciousness, paired with crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich. Comfort food like this definitely makes cold weather more enjoyable!
I've had this roasted tomato soup on repeat, and I don't plan on slowing down my tomato soup consumption any time soon. It's everything you would want in a soup! It's rich and creamy despite being dairy-free, savory, and full of tangy flavors. I can guarantee that everyone will love this meal, whether vegan or not.
Roasting tomatoes, red pepper and red onion with garlic and spices creates the most unbelievable flavor profile. Aside from that, you need just a handful of simple ingredients. And while roasting the vegetables takes a while (totally worth it, though!) you need just a handful of simple, plant based ingredients. I'd recommend making a huge batch and having dinner ready to go for a couple of days.
How to make the best vegan tomato soup
Roast the vegetables
Start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F and drizzle some olive oil to the bottom of a large baking dish (any shape will work). Next, add the tomatoes, red pepper, onion and garlic cloves on top of the olive oil and mix them together.
Now season with onion powder, paprika and dried thyme. Drizzle some more olive oil on top or spray with cooking spray, and bake in the preheated oven for an hour, until the vegetables are softened and caramelised.
Blend the soup
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender or a food processor. Add the other ingredients, which are vegetable stock, salt, pepper and fresh coriander. Blend until smooth.
Warm up and serve
Pour the soup into a large saucepan over a medium heat. Allow to reach a light simmer, then stir in vegan cream and stir for a couple of minutes more. Now it's time to serve and enjoy!
Serve the soup immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days, reheating on the stove or the microwave.
Tips and ingredient substitutions
- Be generous with the olive oil! It's a key ingredient to allow the vegetables to acquire a deep and savory flavor.
- You can use any tomato variety of your choice, whether cherry tomatoes or large salad tomatoes.
- If you want a quicker alternative to this vegan tomato soup that doesn't require roasting the vegetables for an hour, try out my vegan tomato bisque.
- Use any vegan cream alternative of your choice. I typically use soy cream or coconut cream. For a lighter flavor, you can use plant based milk from a carton, such as almond milk.
- For a hint of tanginess, add freshly-squeezed lemon juice at the end of the cooking process.
How to freeze vegan tomato soup
This vegan tomato soup is perfect for making ahead of time and for batch cooking because it keeps really well in the fridge and freezer. To freeze, make the soup as per the instructions above, but don't add the cream. Allow it to cool down fully in the fridge, then transfer to a large freezer-friendly container.
Tomato soup keeps in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, allow to thaw fully in the fridge overnight, then reheat on the stove over a medium heat for around 5-7 minutes, also adding the vegan cream.
How to serve dairy-free tomato soup
This soup recipe is super versatile, because there are so many ways you can serve it to make it even more delicious. For instance, you can:
- Add croutons on top, or pair with a simple grilled cheese sandwich. I make mine very simple, using a few slices of dairy-free cheese.
- Serve my olive oil skillet bread as a wonderful side dish.
- I also love pairing tomato soup with crispy tofu on top.
- Stir in chickpeas or any other beans/lentils of your choice.
Other amazing vegan soup recipes
- Gnocchi soup with kale is comfort food perfection!
- Vegan wonton soup is incredibly flavorful.
- You can't go wrong with vegan lasagna soup.
- Sweet potato soup is super easy to make.
- Spicy butternut squash soup is cozy and delicious.
If you give this vegan tomato soup a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- Conventional oven
- Baking dish
- Blender or food processor
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F and drizzle some olive oil to the bottom of a large baking dish.3 tbsp olive oil
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper, onion and garlic cloves on top of the olive oil and mix them together. Then, season with onion powder, paprika, dried thyme and ½ tsp salt.1 ½ lbs tomatoes, 2 medium red bell peppers, 2 large red onions, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp salt
- Drizzle some more olive oil on top or spray with cooking spray, and bake in the preheated oven for an hour, until the vegetables are softened and caramelised.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender or a food processor. Add the other ingredients, which are vegetable stock, the rest of the salt, pepper and fresh cilantro. Blend until smooth.1 tsp salt, 2 ½ cups vegetable stock, 1 cup fresh cilantro, ½ tsp black pepper
- Pour the soup into a large saucepan over a medium heat. Allow to reach a light simmer, then stir in vegan cream and stir for a couple of minutes more.1 cup vegan cream
- Serve the soup immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days, reheating on the stove or the microwave.