I didn’t put my Crock-Pot away for summer (I am that obsessed), but I’m certainly rethinking how I use it now that fall is in the air. Okay, okay, them. Not just “it.” Multiple Crock-Pots. I have three.
The thing is, some folks think Crock-Pots are just for meat. Au contraire! Slow cooking is a terrific way to make vegetarian and vegan soups, stews, chilis and gobs of other delicious and hearty goodness (as evidenced here, here and here).
I especially love how recipes from cuisines that rely heavily on spices for flavor will shine in the Crock-Pot. All of those spices mingle and steep during those hours of cooking, developing and deepening into pure deliciousness. This vegan, slow-cooker Indian chickpea-potato dish is the perfect example of that!
Other than the long-ish list of spices, this recipe boasts a pretty simple list of ingredients. It comes together quickly – just a super-fast sauté of the onions, garlic and spices first, then you dump it all in the slow cooker and it bubbles away until dinnertime. Delish.
If your spice cabinet is on the bare side and you need to hit the store for some of the ingredients for this recipe, consider utilizing the bulk spice section in your local well-stocked supermarket. (It’s one of my favorite aisles!) Chances are, you’ll save a ton of money on spices.
Serve these up in a bowl alongside some warm grilled naan and a few lime slices for squeezing over the top. And then chalk up another point for the slow cooker!Print
Slow-Cooker Indian-Spiced Chickpeas & Red Potatoes
Indian spices simmer with chickpeas and potatoes for an easy vegan slow cooker entree. Grill up some naan and dinner is served!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 lime
- Small bunch fresh cilantro
- 3-quart or larger slow cooker
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large saute pan over medium heat and swirl to coat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, garam masala, ground ginger, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and vegetable broth. Stir until combined. Pour into the slow cooker, then stir in the chickpeas and potatoes.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with fresh cilantro and lime wedges for squeezing over the top.