Entrees/ vegetarian recipes

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies
I’m so embarrassed, you guys.

Last Friday, I realized that I did three roasted recipes in a row. And then in What I Ate This Week, I featured a recipe with roasted green tomatoes. I’d like to promise you that I won’t roast anything else until next year, but I just developed two roasted recipes for Thanksgiving. And they are delicious! What can I say? I just like to roast stuff.

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies
But today’s recipe doesn’t involve roasting at all. These broccoli cheddar pot pies are seriously the easiest pot pies you will ever make. I mean, the only way they would be easier is if you used Cheez Whiz instead of making the cheese sauce. And made a crust with crushed saltines. (I feel like I may have eaten something like that in college?)

I wanted to do a pot pie for a while, but I kept putting it off out of sheer laziness. It sounded like a good idea, but after picturing myself rolling out a crust, getting flour all over the place, I told myself, “I’ll do it next week.” (That happened for several weeks.) But then I wondered if maybe puff pastry would work instead of crust crust. Lo and behold, that is a thing! A thing people do! People like Martha Stewart! And if it’s good enough for Martha, it’s good enough for me.

Broccoli & Cheese in Ramekins
These Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies come together in a snap. Steaming the broccoli takes 5 minutes, the sauce takes under 10 minutes, and they bake for just under 15 minutes. Using a puff pastry sheet instead of crust means no rolling, no flour all over the place. You can either cut the puff pastry to fit your ramekins or cut it into squares like Martha did. If I weren’t making these for my blog, I probably would have cut them into squares too, but since I wanted them to look all pretty-like for you, I sized them to fit the ramekins.

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies
The first time I tested this recipe, the result was really soupy; I realized that the broccoli was making the cheese sauce watery. I ended up upping the flour and using less milk after hashing things out with some friends on Facebook, which did the trick–now, the sauce starts out super thick to compensate for broccoli. So don’t be alarmed by the thickness of the cheese sauce when you’re making it! It will thin out as the broccoli releases some of its water while it bakes.

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies
Cheesy broccoli pot pies with a flaky puff pastry crust–comfort food bliss in about 30 minutes!

Oh-So-Easy Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies

Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pies Recipe

Pot pies don’t get much easier than this! Cheesy broccoli is topped with puff pastry and baked until flaky and golden brown.

• Yield: 4

• 1 c. reduced-fat (2%) milk
  • 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • salt + pepper to taste
  • pinch or two of cayenne (optional)
  • 4 c. steamed broccoli florets (about 2 small heads of broccoli)
  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • oil mister or cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Combine milk and flour in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3-5 minutes, until mixture is thick, continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese about 1/4 cup at a time. Season with salt and pepper or cayenne. Yes, it’s really thick right now, but don’t panic! Adding the broccoli and baking will thin the sauce significantly, so err on the salty side–I used 1/2 teaspoon. Fold in broccoli florets.
  3. Cut four pieces of puff pastry to fit tops of ramekins OR simply cut the pastry sheet into four equal squares. Cut an X in the middle of each piece of puff pastry to vent steam.
  4. Divide broccoli cheese mixture into four ramekins that have been sprayed with cooking spray or an oil mister. Top each with puff pastry. Brush puff pastry with egg wash. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until puff pastry is puffy and golden brown.

To steam the broccoli, place in steamer basket over an inch or two of boiling water; cover and steam for 5 minutes.

I baked the pot pies in 3 1/2-inch ramekins.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 1 ramekin

Twingle Mommy
    October 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Holy deliciousness!!! I’m not normally a fan of pot pies, but I think this is one I could get on board with!

Jenn
    October 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hubs loves pot pies. Thanks for the recipe!

Jad
    October 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm

If everyone roasted the world would be a better place.

October 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Totally. And people would like vegetables so much more, I’m sure of it.

Rae
    October 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Is there a way to make this in a normal sized pie pan? I don’t own ramekins.

October 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I’m pretty sure this would fit well in a deep-dish pie plate or an 8 x 8 casserole dish. It’s about 5 cups of filling.

Sarah
        December 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm

My girlfriend and I love this pot pie. We make it pretty frequently. We always make in a 8 x 8 pie pan and it works great! Thanks for the recipe!

December 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’m so glad you like it! πŸ™‚

katie
    October 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Seriously, I’m drooling at my computer. These look and sound so scrumptious!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    October 17, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Oh my. Perfect comfort food!!

Caitlin
    October 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm

What size ramekins do you use for this? I’ve been looking at them online and it’s hard to tell what a good size is for a pot pie. Thanks!!

October 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I used 3 1/2-inch ramekins for this recipe, but a little larger would be fine too.

Dee @ Cocktails with Mom
    October 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Now this is one to definitely try!

October 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a broccoli cheddar pot pie! I know what you mean about making them – I love pot pie, but it always seems like too much work. The ramekins are a good idea for single portions though, and I’ve used the puff pastry crust idea too for my Indian pot pie – works great as a topping!

October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Ooh, I love the idea of an Indian pot pie! Now that it’s getting colder out, I want pot pies and casseroles all day, everyday. πŸ™‚

Sara
    October 18, 2012 at 10:53 pm

These look so yummy!

October 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Those are gorgeous! And I’m totally coveting those plates. Keep the roasted stuff coming! I think roasting makes almost everything better. If only my mom roasted when I was little instead of steaming everything, I might have liked vegetables!

October 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Ha! I loved veggies when I was a kid, but my mom never roasted anything either. It was all boiled or steamed.

Emily @ Jelly Toast
    October 20, 2012 at 12:19 am

These look so delicious! I just came across your blog via foodgawker and have been having a great time looking around your awesome photos and yummy recipes. I agree with Shirley! Roasted veggies are awesome! I bet my kiddos would love these pot pies and will have to try them out soon. Thanks for the great recipe!

October 22, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words! These pot pies are definitely kid-friendly. I think it’s the cheese sauce. πŸ˜‰

Sheila
    October 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Wow.. those look so good. I am gonna get the ingredients for this next week and give it a whirl. But, we love chicken so I think I will add in some pre cooked chicken breast meat. YUM!

BusyWorkingMama
    October 21, 2012 at 8:30 am

Looks delicious and fancy. I think I will try this recipe out!

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    October 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Pot pies are such a yummy comfort food and perfect for this time of year! This could be great for so many different things – appetizer, Thanksgiving, etc.

Heidi @ Food Doodles
    October 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

First, I have to say there is nothing wrong with roasting! Keep it up! Second, this looks like comfort in a bowl. Oh my goodness, yum πŸ˜€

October 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm

As I reply to this comment I have not one but TWO different veggies roasting in the oven. So no, I will never give up roasting. I just might not post about it as much. πŸ˜‰

anna chek
        October 30, 2012 at 5:59 am

No, no! Post about your roast vegetables! SVP!

October 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

Don’t worry, I have a roasted sweet potato recipe scheduled for Thursday. πŸ˜€

Donna
    October 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I love frezer cooking, do you know if this can be made up and frozen? Perhaps without the puff pastrey?

October 30, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’m not sure–I think it would be fine if you froze the broccoli and cheese mixture in advance and topped it with the puff pastry later. You might run the risk of the sauce being a little bit watery and the broccoli being a little bit limp. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

anna chek
    October 30, 2012 at 5:57 am

Iowa Girl: I am sitting here in Paris France, grateful for your blog. Yes, the food here is good, but I do miss my American roots. Thanks for your posts!

October 30, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oops, I think you have the wrong blogger! This is Oh My Veggies. πŸ™‚ My recipe was linked in Iowa Girl Eats’ sidebar because we’re both part of the BlogHer network.

anna chek
        October 30, 2012 at 11:26 am

I am so inept at all of this. Well, so, I am still sitting here and loving your blog, then. And your recipes. Merci Beaucoup!

October 31, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Ha! That’s alright, I’m glad you stopped by, even if it was an accident! πŸ˜‰

Cleo
    November 2, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I wonder if I can sub non-diary milk and still have a good cheese sauce. I’m not vegan, but I just try to use either almond or coconut milk. Suggestions?

November 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’ve never used non-dairy milk in a cheese sauce myself, so I can’t say. I suspect that the sauce might turn out a little bit thinner, but it would probably still work…

Kristin
    November 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I’ve been looking for an easy broccoli pot pie recipe – thank you! Do you think it would work to add in some steamed carrots, peas or even diced potatoes?

November 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

Yes, I think that would work! You might want to use less broccoli to make room for the other ingredients, though.

Michelle
    November 30, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Just found your site and you are now bookmarked! Beautiful photos & wonderful recipe ideas. I am making this Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pie recipe tonight but will probably add steamed, diced potatoes & carrots. Thanks for the great ideas!

November 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thank you! I hope you enjoy the pot pies. πŸ™‚

Michelle
    November 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Made this tonight and just wanted to share. We made the same sauce amount for two larger ramekins which worked fine. We also added diced potatoes and carrot, all of which were partially cooked before adding them to the sauce. (We measured the amt we needed in the ramekins prior to adding to the sauce). Next time we are going to add onion (maybe pearl?), some smoked paprika and a splash of white wine to the sauce. Our pastry top didn’t look nearly as nice as yours and it didn’t unroll very well but I have not worked with this before. Maybe it was too soft already when I unfolded it?? Anyway, thanks for the great recipe. I look forward to trying more of your tasty treats!

December 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I’m glad you liked it! Puff pastry is a little bit temperamental–if it’s too cold, it cracks when you try to unfold it, but if it’s too warm, it ends up being a bit of a pain to work with.

glyn
    March 14, 2013 at 1:17 am

I have been vegetarian 19 years now and have missed pot pies SOOOOO much. I’ve found veggie ones at the store but at a ridiculous price for two bites of food.
    I decided I would take it next level and make one. Tonight was the first night ever trying to make one and I’m beyond grateful that I found your blog and recipe. I used whole milk and a little more cheese than your recipe and added vegan chicken chunks and steamed broccoli, carrots and peas.
    My family devoured dinner. It’s been a longtime since I’ve seen no left overs. And that is with two young girls, one of which is a picky eater. She had no problem tonight.
    Thank you so much. I look forward to looking thru your other recipes!

March 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’m so glad they were a hit! I agree, the frozen pot pies are insanely expensive for what you get. I’ve even seen tiny little pies that said they served 2!

Jessi Bruton
    May 11, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I’ve made this twice now and have one tiny suggestionβ€” the puff pastry was really soggy and sad when I placed it uncooked on the pot pie. The second time, I pre-baked the puff tops and then placed them on top of the ramekins for only the last 5 min or so of baking. Perfectly puffed and crunchy!

Also, I stole a technique from Paula Deen and cut the puff pastry into slender strips and wove them together into lattice. Pretty and delish!

May 13, 2013 at 9:21 am

I haven’t had that issue! They always crisp up nicely for me. πŸ™ But thank you for the suggestion! I love the lattice idea too.

Suzanne
    October 23, 2013 at 11:03 pm

This was fantastic! Even my meat-loving hubby thought it was perfect as is. πŸ™‚ I’m thinking of adding some mushrooms next time. Seems like a perfect match for broccoli! Thanks so much for the super quick and easy recipe!

October 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it! πŸ™‚

1 2 3