This Pumpkin Curry Soup is the ultimate comfort food. Packed with flavor from pumpkin, spices, and creamy coconut milk - it's perfect for Fall!
There's nothing quite like a big bowl of hot soup on a cold night. It's pure comfort food! And this pumpkin curry soup is no exception.
It's creamy, delicious, and loaded with flavorful ingredients like pumpkin puree, onion, garlic, curry powder, ginger and more. Add a swirl of creamy coconut milk and you have perfection!
This Pumpkin Curry Soup Recipe Is...
- Vegan Friendly
- Naturally Gluten Free
- Comfort Food Recipe
How to Make Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Start by grabbing a large pot and heat oil on medium heat. Sauté your onions for 3-4 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Next add in the garlic, curry, ginger, coriander, and the salt. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Then you will add in the pumpkin, broth, and coconut milk and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Bring the pumpkin soup to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook as directed.
- Once done, top with pumpkin seeds and enjoy.
Full steps and directions for this pumpkin curry soup are featured in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Helpful Tips for Pumpkin Curry Soup
Use a Heavy Pot
Reach for a Dutch oven or other sturdy pot for this pumpkin soup. Thicker pots are better at retaining an even temperature, without hot spots, which is helpful with thicker soups like this.
Make sure you take the time to sauté your onions for this soup. While you can skip through this step, it's worth the extra few minutes to brown the onions which really elevates the flavor of the soup.
You can make homemade pumpkin puree very easily if you want to. If not, you can use a canned pumpkin puree. Just make sure it is 100% pumpkin, not a pumpkin pie filling with added sweetners.
Variations to Pumpkin Curry Soup
Instead of curry powder you can substitute 2 tablespoons of red curry paste if you prefer. It will alter the flavor a bit, and tends to be a bit spicier. You can add more or less depending on your preference.
There are endless ways you can dress up your pumpkin curry soup. Top it with pepitas, fresh chopped cilantro, diced red onions, or a swirl of non-dairy yogurt.
The Spice Factor
Add some red chili flakes to up the heat in this curried pumpkin soup. If you have only a few spice lovers in the family, you can top individual bowls of soup with chili flakes or sliced red chile peppers.
How long can pumpkin curry soup be stored?
This soup needs to be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will store for 3-5 days in the fridge. Just warm up in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can you freeze this soup?
You can freeze the pumpkin curry soup for 3-4 months. Simply place in a freezer bag or airtight container. If you place it in a rigid container, leave room for the soup to expand a bit once it freezes. Then thaw in the fridge overnight before you heat it up.
More Tasty Recipes
If you love this pumpkin curry soup, be sure to check out these other tasty ideas:
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium, then saute onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, coriander and salt and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, coconut milk and soy sauce and mix well
- Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and allow to simmer, covered, for 45 minutes
- Serve warm with some pumpkins seeds as garnish if desired