Pumpkin curry soup is the perfect comfort zone soup recipe. If you are looking for a creamy and delicious fall inspired soup recipe. This curry pumpkin soup is filled with pumpkin puree, onion, garlic, curry powder, ginger and more.
This is a stovetop pumpkin curry soup that is paired with a creamy coconut milk. Serve this up for dinner or lunch any night of the week.
This Pumpkin Curry Soup Recipe Is...
- Vegan Friendly
- Naturally Gluten Free
- Comfort Food Recipe
How to Make Pumpkin Curry Soup
Full steps and directions for this pumpkin curry soup are featured in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Start by grabbing a large pot and heat oil on medium heat. Saute your onions for 3-4 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Next add in the garlic, curry, ginger, coriander, and the salt. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Then you will add in the pumpkin, broth, and coconut milk and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Bring the pumpkin soup to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook as directed.
- Once done, top with pumpkin seeds and enjoy.
Helpful Tips for Pumpkin Curry Soup
Reach for a Dutch oven or other sturdy pot. This is going to be helpful for creating a consistent temperature of your soup. Thinner pans can create hot spots and burn areas as it cooks. Or it can overcook areas, altering the flavor of the soup.
Make sure you take the time to saute your onions for this soup. It is going to really elevate the flavor and create an in-depth layer to the soup.
You can make homemade pumpkin puree very easily if you happen to want to make homemade pumpkin puree. I have an easy recipe you can follow. If not, reach for your favorite brand of canned puree.
Variations to Pumpkin Curry Soup
Instead of curry powder you can reach for red curry paste that you can use for the soup. It will alter the flavor a bit. I tend to add 2 tablespoons of the paste in the soup. You can add more or less depending on your flavor preference.
There are endless ways you can dress up your soup once you serve it up. Top with fresh chopped cilantro, diced red onions, a swirl of non-dairy plain yogurt, and more.
Add on some red chili flakes to enhance the heat factor. If you don't want it spicy you can leave it out. Or just allow each person to use it as a topping.
Pumpkin Curry Soup FAQs
How long will pumpkin curry soup store for?
This soup needs to be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will store for 3-5 days in the fridge. Just warm up in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can you freeze this soup?
You can freeze the soup for 3-4 months. Simply place in a freezer bag or airtight container. If you place it in a container, leave room for the soup to expand a bit once it freezes. Then thaw in the fridge overnight before you heat it up.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium, then saute onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, coriander and salt and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, coconut milk and soy sauce and mix well
- Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and allow to simmer, covered, for 45 minutes
- Serve warm with some pumpkins seeds as garnish if desired