Whip up this vegan strawberry shortcake for your next sweet tooth craving. Homemade vegan strawberry shortcakes topped with fresh strawberries, and a coconut whipped cream. This is the ultimate dessert for strawberry season.
This strawberry shortcake recipe is perfect for summer entertaining, take to a holiday gathering, or your next potluck event. Don't wait, try this easy strawberry shortcake recipe today.
This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Is...
- Dairy Free
- Easy Strawberry Vegan Recipe
- Perfect For Strawberry Season
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Full directions for this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe are featured in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through on how it is made.
- Start by take out the coconut cream from the top of the chilled coconut milk can. Then place in a bowl and add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and whip on high until fluffy. This takes 3-5 minutes. Once fluffy store in the fridge.
- Next grab a large bowl and add in all your dry ingredients. Then cut in the vegan butter to pea size pieces.
- Then you will add in the coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate.
- Roll out and cut into circles and bake as directed.
- Let the shortcake to cool then top with whipped coconut cream and strawberries!
Helpful Tips for Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Make sure to not overwhip the coconut cream mixture. If you overwhip it will split and become runny and break down. So make sure to keep an eye on it as it is in the mixer.
Assemble Right Before Serving
Don't assemble your shortcakes until you are ready to eat. Otherwise the strawberries and cream will sog up the shortcake. Store the cakes, strawberries, and the whipped coconut cream all separately.
Make sure when picking out your fresh strawberries that they are fresh, bright in color, and ripe. Otherwise it can leave a sour flavor to your berries.
Variations to Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Sweeten Up The Berries
Add a little bit of sugar overtop of the sliced strawberries in a bowl. Then refrigerate, and as they sit they will sweeten up the berries. The sugar also breaks down the berries a bit so it will release some juice.
You can also use raspberries, blueberries and other fruits to help elevate the flavors of the shortcake.
Add a little crunch by topping with some slivered almonds for a nice crunch factor to the shortcake.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake FAQs
How long will the shortcakes store for?
You will only want to store your shortcake for 1-2 days on the counter. The cake will become dry as it sits, and should be used shortly after it is made.
Can I freeze leftover shortcakes?
Don't plan on eating all your shortcakes right away? Go right ahead and save the cakes by placing them in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw on the counter and then assemble with berries and cream.
- Scoop out the coconut cream from the top of the chilled coconut milk can, place into bowl of stand mixer with powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Then whip on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes, place into fridge to chill.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Then cut in the vegan butter until only pea sized pieces remain.
- Add in the coconut milk and stir until flour is just moistened
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough until it is about ½” thick, then use a 3” round cookie cutter to cut circles in the dough (you want to get 6 shortcakes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, line a baking sheet with parchment, then bake the shortcakes in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden and slightly puffed
- Allow the shortcakes to cool completely, then slice in half and top with whipped coconut cream and strawberries
- Only assemble as many shortcakes as you are planning on eating, the leftovers will do better stored separately until serving time
- The coconut cream should be watched while whipping, it may split and then get runny if over whipped.
- For an added touch of sweetness, you can sprinkle a small amount of sugar overtop and let them sit in the fridge