This baked vegan mac and cheese is comfort food at its best. It's rich and creamy, totally cheesy, and topped with a crunchy breadcrumb topping.
There aren't many foods better than a piping hot bowl of mac and cheese. It really is amazing comfort food.
And as I've cut more and more dairy out of my diet, I simply had to create a vegan version of my own favorite baked mac and cheese recipe.
This vegan mac and cheese uses store bought dairy free cheese shreds to make a really quick and easy dinner.
I don't use packaged items like that all too often, but in this case it really is so much easier than the alternatives.
(But if you want a recipe that uses only whole foods, go check out this vegan mac and cheese, which is loaded with hidden veggies.)
This baked vegan mac and cheese is:
- Rich and creamy.
- Deliciously cheesy!
- Easy to throw together in under and hour.
- Perfect for a weeknight vegan dinner.
Tips & Tricks
Vegan Cheese Shreds - All brands are not created equal here. Some dairy free cheeses are notorious for their inability to melt. So it's important to choose the right brand here. I've had the best luck with this variety from Follow Your Heart and this one from Daiya.
Vegan Butter - I used the Earth Balance Buttery Spread, which is my go to vegan margarine. It melts well, and pretty much works just like regular butter. If you prefer to skip the margarine, you can use olive oil instead.
Dairy Free Milk - You can use any dairy free milk that you prefer for this recipe. I used soy milk, but almond milk would have worked well too.
Serving Ideas - Try serving this vegan mac and cheese alongside these vegan baked beans for a true Southern meal!
If you love this baked vegan mac and cheese, be sure to check out these other mac and cheese variations:
- Vegan Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Smoked Cheddar Mac & Cheese with BBQ Tofu
- Roasted Poblano Mac & Cheese
- 3 tbsp vegan butter divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy milk or other dairy free milk
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz macaroni
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt 2 tbsp vegan butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the soy milk, salt, mustard, and pepper. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens and begins to boil.
- Meanwhile, a saucepan of slightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Drain.
- Add the vegan cheese to the almond milk mixture and stir until melted.
- Mix the pasta with the cheese sauce and pour it all into a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together bread crumbs and 1 tbsp melted vegan butter. Add the bread crumb mixture to the top of the macaroni.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the mixture begins to bubble. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
1 cup dry mustard?! Otherwise this looks like a great recipe — thanks!!
Do you mean 1 tsp mustard, 3/4 tsp salt?