This isn’t a recipe for your typical Kraft dinner; this Homemade Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe makes an appetizing, melting-in-your-mouth dish with a crispy topping—a good little dish to wake up the child in you!
Homemade Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 lb macaroni pasta
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add milk, salt, mustard, and pepper. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens and begins to boil.
- Meanwhile, bring to a boil a saucepan of slightly salted water. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Drain.
- Add the cheese to the milk mixture and stir until melted. Mix the pasta with the sauce and pour it all into a gratin dish.
- In a bowl, mix together bread crumbs and 1 tbsp melted butter.
- Add the bread crumb mixture to the top of the macaroni.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the mixture begins to bubble. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.