Crispy Sesame Tofu is a fantastic vegan-friendly recipe that's ready to eat in just thirty minutes! It's packed with protein and tastes so good that it can convert even the most stubborn tofu-haters.
This dairy-free recipe is delicious. If you aren't already a tofu-lover, here's a few reasons why you should be:
- Tofu supports heart health.
- It’s gluten-free and low in calories.
- Tofu is a wonderful source of protein, iron, and calcium.
- Tofu is great to cook with; it's versatile and absorbs whatever flavor you use.
We're pretty sure that our recipe is going to change everyone's mind about tofu! This crispy tofu makes for a great snack, appetizer, or accompaniment to a more hearty meal such as vegan fried rice, brown rice, apple salad, or traditional cauliflower rice. And this tofu dish tastes even more delicious with our sriracha mayonnaise! It’s a delightful combination of nutty and spicy with the perfect texture.
This Crispy Sesame Tofu recipe is...
- Easy to make
- An awesome vegan side
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Going to be your new favorite tofu recipe
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
How to Make Crispy Sesame Tofu
- Preheat the oven and prepare the baking tray.
- Combine dry ingredients and non-dairy milk in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Chop tofu in small pieces, then coat them evenly with the batter.
- Put sesame seeds in a different small bowl and toss each tofu square in it.
- Spread the tofu squares on the baking tray and bake, stirring halfway.
- Combine ingredients for sriracha mayo and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Full directions for how to make Crispy Sesame Tofu are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Tips & Tricks for Crispy Sesame Tofu
Use Firm Tofu
Make sure to use firm tofu for this recipe. Firm tofu is best for most cooking needs. It’s the most versatile and can absorb the most flavor. Also make sure to dry your tofu before cooking it. This will help it absorb more flavor and have a good texture.
Make It Crispy
Crispy Sesame Tofu needs to be crispy, right? The tofu gets crispy with the oil used in the baking tray. Make sure to use the oil—even if your baking tray is non-stick. If you don't have an awesome baking tray yet, here is one of our favorites: Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Bakers Sheet.
Variations to Crispy Sesame Tofu
Adjust the Heat
When making the sriracha mayonnaise, start with 1–2 tablespoons of sriracha. Adjust it to your liking, and add a bit more if you like the fiery flavor.
If you like spicy and hot, then try some of our favorite spicy dishes:
Add Some Garlic
You can make this sesame tofu with a bit of a garlic tinge. Add ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder to the batter to give it some more flavor.
Crispy Sesame Tofu FAQs
Is sesame tofu healthy?
Tofu is absolutely fantastic! It's packed with healthy nutrients that your body needs, and it's great to cook with. Tofu is a great source of both protein and iron. It's an incredibly versatile ingredient that is SUPER healthy!
How long can I store crispy sesame tofu?
Crispy sesame tofu can be stored in the fridge for 3–4 days. After that, it will begin to get too soggy. Make sure to store your crispy tofu in a sealed, airtight container.
Can tofu be eaten raw?
You can eat tofu raw. Simply drain the liquid well before eating. Any food hazards only come from potential cross-contamination of the tofu with other not-safe raw foods.
Can tofu be frozen?
You can absolutely freeze tofu! Tofu can be frozen and maintain great flavor for approximately three months. When you're ready to eat your tofu again, simply thaw it in the fridge and drain the liquid.
And if you're looking for even more tasty lunch ideas, go check out my new e-book Healthy Plant-Based School Lunches. It's loaded with all my favorite tips for making meatless school lunches that the kids will love!
- ½ cup mayonnaise use vegan mayo if desired
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce adjust to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and prepare a large baking tray with a drizzle of oil in the base.
- Mix nutritional yeast, rice flour, salt, and non-dairy milk in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Chop the tofu into bite-size pieces.
- Coat them with the prepared batter. If you run out of batter, simply make some more following the same recipe.
- Then, place the sesame seeds in another small bowl, and toss each piece of tofu with them.
- Spread the tofu nuggets in the prepared baking tray. Bake them for 5 minutes, move them around, and bake them for another 5–8 minutes or until the seeds turn golden.
- To make this easy sriracha mayo, you just need to mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Serve these tofu bites with sriracha mayo on the side.