Recipes/ Sides/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash Fries

Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash Fries Recipe

Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash FriesWe all need some easy, low calorie side dish recipes to have on hand, right? This recipe for vegan Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash Fries fits the bill!

Food Blogs and Calories

I am perpetually counting calories. Which is a whole lot of fun! Perhaps this is just my perception, but it sure seems like the food blogging world is full of the “Oh goshβ€”I just eat whatever I want, and I never workout!” types who weigh 110 pounds and post six dessert recipes a week, usually involving Rolos and/or several heaping cups full of Nutella and I resent them and their amazing metabolism.

Seeding Butternut Squash
I am not one of those bloggers. Nope. I have to watch every single thing I eat. So butternut squash fries make a frequent appearance on our dinner table. If I’m making veggie burgers or grilled cheese or something else that’s a little bit high in calories, butternut squash fries are a good low calorie counterbalance to that. And they’re filling! And delicious! And healthy! Butternut squash is high in fiber, beta carotene, potassium, and Vitamins C & B6. So in addition to having fewer calories than potato fries, they’re more nutritious too.

Lower calories! More nutrition! Really, you can’t go wrong with butternut squash fries.

Bottle of SrirachaDisclaimer

Okay, there’s one slight downside. Butternut squash fries are not as crispy as regular fries. They’re just as versatile, though. I used to alternate between sprinkling them with chipotle powder and sprinkling them with cinnamon, but my new thing is sriracha. Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash Fries are now my favorite butternut squash fries! To me, they’re just spicy enough, but you can always drizzle some extra sriracha onto the fries after they’re done baking.

Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash Fries

Baked Sriracha Butternut Squash Fries Recipe

Sweet-and-spicy oven fries made with butternut squash and sriracha.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 1 tbsp peanut, vegetable, canola or any other neutral-flavored oil
  • 1 tsp sriracha
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into evenly-sized steak fries
  • salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425Β°F.
  2. Whisk together oil and sriracha in a large bowl. Transfer butternut squash fries to bowl and toss to coat. (It’s messy, but use your handsβ€”it works best!) Pour fries onto a rimmed baking sheet and arrange in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes, then carefully flip fries over using tongs or a spatula. Sprinkle with additional salt and bake for 20 minutes more or until tender and browned on edges.

If you’re not a fan of sriracha, you can use this same method with cinnamon, chipotle chili powder, Chinese 5 spice powder, smoked paprika, curry powder, or pumpkin pie spice. So many possibilities!

December 18, 2012 at 7:38 am

Amen sistah…every calorie is tracked before I eat it the following day. It stinks but it’s my reality. I think the bloggers that post all of that crap and actually eat it are holograms or something.

I never have Sriracha on hand but just happen to right now after making a Sriracha based gift for a foodie friend. Now I know how I can use it! Thanks!

December 18, 2012 at 7:52 am

I know! I always wonder if they’re actually eating what they make. I am a jealous h8r.

Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    December 18, 2012 at 7:44 am

They look so festive – and delicious.

christina
    December 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

As a sriracha fanatic, I am SO happy to see this!

Lori Popkewitz Alper
    December 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

Can’t wait to try these. Squash makes it onto our table almost nightly.

Aggie
    December 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Your photos are making me hungry! I’m with you, the calories, they get me. I’d love a side of these any time – especially with a good veggie burger, yum!

December 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Can’t find one single pumpkin in our supermarkets any more at this time.
    These butternut squash fries look so tempting!

December 20, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, we’re starting to have fewer and fewer winter squash here too. I can still find the common ones, but it’s harder to find the more obscure varieties!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    December 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I must admit that I like my fries crisp, but to save on some calories, I’d be willing to do this! NUMMY!

December 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Well, these do get a little bit crispy on the edges. So there’s that!

Daria
    December 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I think that I will try them. Today I made your “Apple cheddar pizza…” since became a big fan from the very first time I made it:) Even my grandma (who is very picky about what she eats) loves it! So congratulations are in order!
    I don’t know about the bloggers and their metabolism, but I’m always so jelaous about people who eat all this unhealthy food and are so skinny. I have pretty good metabolism, but since I love eating I don’t care about calories etc., but I workout every day:)

December 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thank you–that is awesome that your grandma likes it too! πŸ˜€ I wish my metabolism would speed up a little bit, but I don’t think that’s going to happen…

Dulcie @ two tarts
    December 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm

These look great! I have done a lot of baked sweet potato fries, but wouldn’t have thought of butternut squash. The sriracha is a nice touch.

December 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I love butternut squash fries because they sorta kinda taste like sweet potato fries, but with way less calories. πŸ™‚

JulieD
    December 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I love this!! I love butternut squash!

The Squishy Monster
    December 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I’m all over sriracha anything—these look great!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    December 18, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Love these! Making veggies into fry shapes makes them even more appealing .. and I like soft fries!

Sindura
    December 19, 2012 at 7:47 am

These look amazing! I love sriracha!!!! Can’t wait to try them! Over the summer I decided to go vegetarian and make it a point to cook most of my food to live a healthier lifestyle. I see a big difference in the way my body feels and find it easier to focus in my classes. Your recipes have helped me so much with the transition. I love that you make food that is both extremely delicious and nutritous! Thank you so much! Your food is inspirational!

December 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I notice the same thing–when I eat food I cook myself, made with real ingredients, I feel so much better physically. I’m so glad my blog is helpful to you! πŸ˜€

JoAnna
    December 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

My husband LOVES Siracha and I love butternut squash so this is a must try! Pinning it now for after the Holiday!

December 20, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I hope you both like these fries then! πŸ˜€

Dara
    December 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

I agree! I am continutally amazed by the sheer number of food bloggers who consume dessert daily. I am a counter as well and I love squash fries. Great recipe!

December 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I have to have dessert daily, but my dessert is usually a sad solitary (and tiny) piece of chocolate. πŸ™‚

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    December 19, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Ha, I have wondered often about those bloggers too! Jerks. πŸ˜‰ I am most assuredly not one of them.

I tried making butternut squash fries a couple weeks ago and I must say, these are way, WAY prettier. Plus, Sriracha! Genius.

December 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Yeah, I think I am developing a wee bit of a complex. πŸ˜‰ I totally want to be one of those people who can eat deep-fried powdered sugar Rolo cakes on a daily basis and not gain an ounce.

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    December 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Oh, and I love love love your green nail polish!

Courtney Rae Jones
    December 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm

These look delicious! πŸ™‚

I am very much with you on being a food blogger that cannot just indulge on a regular basis. I’ve been trying to count calories as well and make healthy choices. It’s been tough to do this Christmas season, though! I need to make some adjustments in the new year. *hehe*

December 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Yeah, I sort of gave up counting calories until after Christmas. πŸ™‚ We’re traveling and there’s no way I’m going to skip desserts or order salads!

Diana @ Eating Made Easy
    December 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Sweet and spicy, just perfect!

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    December 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

You’ve convinced me to try making my own healthier version of fries once again but honestly I’m convinced mine will be squishy and unappetizing. I’ll report back!

December 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Well, these are definitely softer than fries made with potatoes. Just warning you!

Kelly Stilwell
    December 20, 2012 at 12:23 am

Printed and I can’t wait to try them! YUM!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen
    December 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

I am absolutely right there with you! If I want to have any sort of control I absolutely must count my calories. I can eat one french fry and gain 5 lbs. It really sucks sometimes, but such is life! I have noticed that I just feel much better over all if I stick with my calories. I can’t exercise right now b/c I have mono which is a wee bit depressing, so I have been watching my calories like a hawk. I log them with My Fitness Pal which is so incredibly easy and it really does make me feel as if I a have accomplished something for the day! With all of the blogs I follow who have the most amazing and indulgent recipes ever, the author’s tend to have some sort of fitness or nutritionist background which I think really helps them out…a lot!

December 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Oh, I am right there with you. My husband has the metabolism of a small woodland creature and he can eat 3/4 of a pumpkin pie and not gain anything and I eat the remaining 1/4 over the two days and I’m up 5 pounds. I use an app on my phone called Lose It and track my calories, workouts, and weight there. Although I have to confess, I kind of decided not to track until after Christmas. (Which I’m sure is a decision I will regret!)

Daria
    December 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I made them today:) They are great:) But they didn’t look as great as your photos. I’m always impressed with your photos:) Everything looks so tasty! I’m always hungry after seeing them.

December 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Thank you! And I’m glad you liked them! πŸ˜€

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!)
    December 21, 2012 at 12:57 am

Oh, nice! I have a bumper crop of butternuts still in storage, so I’ll definitely do something like this! BTW, really wonderful blog you have here!

December 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Thank you! πŸ™‚ Fries are definitely my favorite way to use up extra butternut squash. You can never go wrong with fries!

Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack!
    December 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I LOVE butternut squash and sriracha, so naturally this recipe caught my eye. And it’s so simple! I can’t wait to try them out. πŸ˜€

December 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yay! I hope you enjoy them! πŸ˜€