Here is a vegetarian twist on the classic pot pie. This recipe uses white beans instead of chicken to make the tasty comfort food you've been craving.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 onion cubed
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 2 potatoes cubed
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 540 ml can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup green peas
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- pie crust
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a little water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and stir. Pour the milk and bring to a boil while whisking. Salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In another saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook celery, carrots, onion, and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, sauce, and nutmeg. Salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the white beans, green peas, and parsley. Stir. Rectify the seasoning as needed.
- Pour the mixture into four to six ramekins.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into four to six circles, 5 inches in diameter. Place the circles of dough on the ramekins. Brush the dough with egg yolk.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.