Round-Ups/ Tips & Hints

15 Basic Recipes Every Vegetarian Should Master

As a long-time vegetarian, there are some recipes that I find myself going back to again and again. I love making new things, but there’s something to be said for those tried-and-true meal ideas too. Because it’s January and a lot of people are cutting down on (or giving up!) meat for the New Year, I’ve decided to compile these dishes here. These are 15 basic recipes that I think every vegetarian should master; you don’t have to master these exact recipes, but if you have a go-to burrito or veggie burger recipe under your belt, your life (well, at least your life at dinnertime) will be a lot easier!

Recipe Title: Grilled Cheese

Grilled Cheese

Description: I stopped eating meat when I was 12, so there were a lot of grilled cheese lunches back then. While it’s hard to go wrong with the classic version, adding greens or veggies ups the nutrition a little bit, like in this Kale, Grilled Garlic, and Cheddar Panini from Panini Happy.

Get Recipe Now!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan
    January 14, 2014 at 8:54 am

totally on board with allll of this! Especially the veggie broth, it’s a game changer!

January 14, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Isn’t it?! It’s so much better homemade!

January 14, 2014 at 8:59 am

Great round up! I need to venture into the world of homemade veggie burgers sometime.

January 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm

You do! I bet you could come up with some amazing ideas. ๐Ÿ™‚

marquis @realrawkitchen
    January 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

This is such a great idea! You’re right, there is a set of recipes that I regularly return to and it’s so helpful to have them in my repertoire. Anyone that’s new to the lifestyle could really use a round up like this!

Thanks for the inspiration, I think I’ll do a raw version on my blog ๐Ÿ™‚ and link back to this for a broader list of basic cooked veggie dishes

January 14, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I’d love to see your raw version! I’m trying to eat more raw foods myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kathryn
    January 14, 2014 at 9:21 am

This is such a helpful round up! Although we’re not veggie, we’re definitely trying to eat less meat and there is some really good inspiration here.

dishing up the dirt
    January 14, 2014 at 10:49 am

I love this round up! Also, Having a good veggie burger recipe at the tip of your fingers is priceless!

Connie
    January 14, 2014 at 11:24 am

Nice round up- I agree! Having several go-to recipes (like, a few soups, a few stirfrys) goes a long way. For the more adventurous I’d add in some make your own faux-meats too… like seitan loafs & sausages.

January 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I’ve made my own tofu before, but I’ve yet to try seitan! I need to do that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
    January 14, 2014 at 11:34 am

Great collection! There are still one or two of these that I’ve never made myself, so I’ll have to get going! ๐Ÿ™‚

Breanne
    January 14, 2014 at 11:44 am

I agree that every vegetarian should have a good veggie burger recipe! I’ve tried several recipes – some with quinoa, some with sweet potatoes, etc, but they all end up tasting mushy. Am I not cooking them long enough? Any suggestions as to how I can get my veggie burger to be chewy? Mushy burgers are just gross. Thanks!

January 14, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I agree! I have made lots of veggie burger recipes that were definite misses. I think veggie burgers are all about nailing the perfect proportion of ingredients. Nuts and/or grains will help with the texture; quinoa is tricky because it can sometimes be a little wet, which could definitely make for a soggy burger. I like baking my burgers instead of pan-frying them and if a burger calls for beans, I never mash them completely because mashed beans give burgers the worst, mushiest texture.

Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens
    January 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Kiersten, I just love everything about this post! It’s a great concept, and perfectly executed with the super-easy-to-use arrow to quickly scroll through the whole collection. Definitely pinning, but also personally passing along to my vegetarian friends! And honestly, whether vegetarian or not, everyone really needs this primer of basic keep-em-in-your-back-pocket recipe techniques. Fantastic resource!

January 14, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Yay, I’m glad you like it! And the slideshow format too! ๐Ÿ™‚ I had a few readers tell me they didn’t like the list format of my round-ups, but I didn’t want a slideshow because so many of them reload the entire page for each slide, but my designer found a slideshow that doesn’t do that.

Kaitlin @ The Garden Grazer
    January 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Another awesome round-up Kiersten! Definitely the necessities to have under your belt as a vegetarian. Thanks so much for including my burritos! ๐Ÿ™‚

January 14, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I just looooove that recipe! As you can probably tell. ๐Ÿ™‚

Megan
    January 14, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Love these recommendations! Putting my shopping list together now. Received a gorgeous wok for Christmas and that stir fry recipe has motivated me to season/prep it and start using it! Can’t wait!

January 14, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚ I have to admit, I use a regular skillet–I have yet to buy a wok! I’m a bad food blogger. ๐Ÿ™‚

January 14, 2014 at 1:15 pm

A great roundup, Kiersten. I love them even though I am not a vegetarian.

Arthur in the Garden!
    January 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Yummy!

Grace @ Earthy Feast
    January 14, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Awesome roundup! Everything I love to eat is here!

Katie (The Muffin Myth)
    January 14, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Great roundup, Kiersten! And thanks so much for including my Hallelujah bowl in this esteemed list.

January 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’m definitely making that bowl very soon!

Stephanie @ henry happened
    January 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

This is a great list not just for vegetarians for but easy weeknight dinners too. Using beans is so much faster than waiting for meat to cook! And thanks for including Lindsey’s soup! ๐Ÿ™‚

January 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Yeah, people say that vegetarian cooking is intimidating, but to me, cooking meat would be a lot more of a hassle!

Julia Mueller
    January 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm

– – – > because every vegetarian should know how to make a veggie stir fry – – – > I <3 U hahaha! I love this roundup. This is also great for flexitarians such as myself who could always use some additional veggie recipes and ideas. Thanks so much for sticking my veggie stir fry in there, lady!! ๐Ÿ™‚

January 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Of course! Peanut sauce makes me insanely happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Laura @ Kneadwhine
    January 14, 2014 at 4:07 pm

This is a great list of recipes – veggie chilli is one of my favourites, going to be making a black bean chilli at the weekend I think. Tasty!

Joanne
    January 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

AGREED!!! Big time. In fact, I think these are basic recipes that EVERYONE should master…veg or not!

[email protected] n Dishes
    January 14, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Kierstan, you always have the best round ups! I especially can’t wait to try the protein packed Vegetarian Nut Loaf!

January 14, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Thank you! And yes, doesn’t that nut loaf look amazing?!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    January 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm

This is such a great resource and I’m drooling over that grilled cheese!

Alexa
    January 14, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Baked tofu has become a staple for me! I love tofu any way, but its so easy to just marinate and throw in the oven. Its even fooled my non-veg friends!

January 15, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I think a lot of people have bad tofu experiences and think they don’t like it, when really, it just wasn’t prepared well when they tried it. Baked is definitely the way to go!

Steph
    January 15, 2014 at 1:54 am

I have to admit I’ve got most of these down pat- purely for the fact that they are delicious! I agree with you, I reckon every vego should have these dishes in their repertoire! ๐Ÿ™‚ My favourite is probably experimenting with veggie burgers, the creations are limitless!

Skye
    January 15, 2014 at 6:25 am

Kale, grilled garlic and cheddar toasted sandwich sounds like something that even non-vegetraians should master. Beyond delicious.

January 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I’ve made that recipe and it is SO good. Who knew kale would work on a grilled cheese!?

Kira - HealthAble Old Soul
    January 16, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Being a young vegetarian, I am always looking for delicious and new ideas to rotate around my same meatless organic patties! Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate ALL of it and plus it is organic plus I actually can have food (not like other countries)

• 1 2