Looking for a creamy and delicious vegan carrot soup? This Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup recipe is one we make over and over again. Carrots, ginger, garlic, onions, herbs, and spices all come together in this dish to create the perfect soup.
Serve up this carrot ginger soup for lunch, for dinner, or as an appetizer for a dinner party.
This Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup is...
- Naturally gluten-free
- Made with simple ingredients
- Easily stored
How to Make Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
- Prep your carrots by cutting them into chunks. Then boil them in a pot of water until the carrots are tender.
- In a pan, cook onions and garlic until they are soft and translucent.
- Once your carrots are done, remove and place them in a blender or food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender as well.
- Blend all the ingredients together until creamy, then add black pepper and herbs.
Tips and Tricks
Don't Waste the Carrot Tops
The leaves on top of your carrots are edible - so don't waste them. Check out all these tasty ways to use carrot greens.
Cut Carrots the Same Size
I recommend cutting up all your carrots the same size—or, at least, similarly sized. The reason you want to do this is so all the carrots will get cooked the same. You don't want some carrots to be undercooked and some overcooked.
Flavor to Your Tastes
Feel free to use the spices and herbs to flavor to your taste. Change up what you use or don't use—don't feel obligated to follow the amounts in the recipe exactly. This is all about personal preference.
For this recipe I am using almond milk. If you happen to not want almond milk, you can use any other dairy-free milk alternative.
Coconut milk or even a soy milk could be great in this soup!
Spices and Herbs
Feel free to adjust the spices and herbs to your preference. I love this ginger carrot soup as is, but feel free to add less or more of certain ingredients, or swap out the spices listed with spices you like to use.
Leave out Almond Milk
If you don't want the soup to be creamy, you can opt to leave out the almond milk. The soup will still be tasty as is. The almond milk simply adds a nice creamy texture to soup. Without the almond milk, your soup will be more like a V8 drink, for example.
Try adding about ⅓ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice. This will add a nice citrus kick to the soup.
Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup FAQs
How to store carrot ginger soup?
You can store this soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you're ready to eat it, you can eat the soup chilled or heat it up on the stove—or even in the microwave.
Does carrot soup freeze?
This soup is freezer friendly. Place soup in a proper freezer container, making sure to leave room at the top. The soup will expand a bit as it freezes, so you need to leave some room for expansion at the top of your container. Then freeze soup for up to 2 months.
When you are ready to eat, thaw frozen soup overnight in the fridge or warm it up from frozen in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I use mini carrots?
If you have some mini organic carrots, go ahead and swap them out with the full size carrots. I recommend organic as they are pure carrots. Non-organic mini carrots are soaked in a chemical mixture which alters the flavor of the carrots a bit.
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds soaked for 30 minutes in hot water
- 1 cup water
- Remove carrot ends and chop them into chunks.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to boil. Add carrots and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Place cooked and drained carrots into a food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place carrot soup in bowls and garnish with fresh ground pepper and herbs.
- Serve it with a green salad drizzled with lemon, olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- This is a freezer-friendly recipe; you can freeze it for up to 2 months.