This vegan honey BBQ tofu is made with a crispy breading and a savory, sticky 'honey' sauce. You need just 20 minutes and simple ingredients to make this delicious plant based dinner that's ideal for a weeknight after a busy day!
It's pretty obvious that I love tofu. Seriously, my love for this ingredient has no boundaries. It's incredibly versatile, and can be used in so many different recipes - sweet and savory alike! So all in all, you really just can't go wrong if you learn how to prepare it correctly. So whenever I'm super tired after a long day and don't know what to make, I usually default to a tofu-based dish.
I think a lot of the negative reputation comes from the fact that tofu by itself is very neutral in flavor. But, that's actually in advantage! As you can see, if you learn how to make tofu taste good, you can turn it into anything, including crispy, chewy nuggets of deliciousness. Add an amazing 'honey' BBQ sauce, and there's a dinner of your dreams. As for any scepticism about tofu? Gone.
Crispy fried tofu
As you can see, the star of this vegan honey BBQ tofu recipe is the crispy fried tofu. Given how often it makes an appearance on my dinner table, I wrote a whole post about how to make crispy tofu. And this is a fantastic way to serve it: with a BBQ sauce that requires just a few ingredients for ultimate deliciousness. If you have non-vegans to impress, this meal will have them going back for seconds!
This honey BBQ tofu uses a simple breading which requires just 4 ingredients and creates a perfect crunch. The inside is tender and chewy, with just the right amount of bite. Say goodbye to bland or soggy tofu!
How to press tofu
For best results, it's incredibly important to press the tofu you're using. This will ensure that the texture is firm on the inside, and the tofu crisps up very nicely. Some brands sell tofu that is pressed already, in which case you can skip this step. But if not, you can easily press the tofu yourself.
Simply cube it into bite-sized pieces and lay them out on a flat surface. Next, lay a few paper towels on top, followed by a wide frying pan. Proceed to place more heavy objects inside the frying pan, such as cans of beans or books. Leave for 20-30 minutes, after which your tofu will be ready to use!
Ingredients & substitutions for vegan honey BBQ tofu
- Tofu. There are many different varieties of tofu, and for this recipe I would recommend using either firm or extra firm tofu for the best results.
- Breadcrumbs. Any variety you have available should work just fine.
- Flour. This will also go in the breading. I used plain white flour. You can also sub in a gluten-free flour of your choice, such as an all-purpose blend, buckwheat flour, or chickpea flour.
- Salt and paprika for seasoning the breading.
- Sesame oil or olive oil for frying the tofu.
- BBQ sauce. Ensure that this is vegan if using store-bought. You can also use homemade BBQ sauce.
- Maple syrup or any other vegan liquid sweetener of your choice. This works as a honey replacement for the sauce.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Cornstarch for thickening the sauce. Tapioca flour will also work.
How to make vegan honey BBQ tofu
This is a summary of the cooking instructions to go along with the ste-by-step photos. For a full ingredient breakdown with measurements, scroll down to the recipe card at the end of the post.
Start by making the breading. Whisk together the breadcrumbs, flour, paprika and salt.
Next, heat a thin layer of olive oil in a wok or pan over a medium-high heat. Dip the tofu cubes in the breading, making sure each one is thoroughly coated.
Transfer the tofu cubes to the pan, making sure not to overcrowd it - it may be necessary to work in batches. Fry for 8-10 minutes, rotating the tofu cubes around once every 2 minutes, until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside when done.
Clean the wok/pan, before adding the BBQ sauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, water and cornstarch. Lower the heat to a low/medium and whisk continuously until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, add the tofu cubes, mix together, and serve.
How to serve vegan honey BBQ tofu
This tofu recipe is so versatile! You can serve it with any side dish of your choice, such as rice, noodles, potatoes, pasta, etc. You can also add it to a sandwich, wrap, or salad. It's fantastic for a flavorful and comforting lunch or dinner! I love to add some chopped spring onions on top, as well as chilli flakes. I'd also recommend sesame seeds as a great finishing touch.
Crispy tofu is best eaten straight away, because if you leave it for too long, it will go soggy.
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs and a gluten-free flour mix.
Yes - you can bake this tofu at 180 degrees C (350 F) for 20-25 minutes to achieve a very similar result.
Other amazing tofu recipes
- My sweet and sour tofu is perfect for a quick dinner!
- Try out scrambled tofu for a delish savory breakfast.
- Miso-glazed tofu steaks are amazing served with a side dish of your choice.
- For a refreshing and wholesome lunch, try out a macaroni salad with tofu feta.
Let me know in the comments: what's your favourite sauce to serve with tofu? If you give this 'honey' BBQ tofu a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Whisk together the breadcrumbs, flour, paprika and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a wok or pan over a medium-high heat. Dip the tofu cubes in the breading, making sure each one is thoroughly coated.
- Transfer the tofu cubes to the pan, making sure not to overcrowd it - it may be necessary to work in batches. Fry for 8-10 minutes, rotating the tofu cubes around once every 2 minutes, until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside when done.
- Clean the wok/pan, before adding the BBQ sauce, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, water and cornstarch. Lower the heat to a low/medium and whisk continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add the tofu cubes, mix together, and serve.