Appetizers/ Recipes/ Sides/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Sriracha Snap Peas with Red Pepper

Sriracha Snap Peas with Red Pepper Recipe

These Sriracha Snap Peas are sweet, spicy, and savory all at the same time. We added red bell pepper for a pop of color. Like snap peas,  bell peppers are best when minimally cooked so they soften a bit, but still retain some of their crisp texture. So be careful not to overcook them! Sugar snap peas just barely need to be cooked–in fact, this recipe is done in about 5 minutes. It’s enough to heat everything through and meld all the flavors together without ending up with mushy snap peas. It’s enough to make them perfect.

Sriracha Snap Peas with Red Pepper

Sriracha Snap Peas with Red Pepper Recipe

A sweet-and-spicy Asian-inspired side dish made with crisp sugar snap peas and red pepper strips.

• Yield: 4 servings

• 2 tsp. coconut oil (or any other oil you like to cook with)
  • 8 oz. snap peas
  • 1 small red bell pepper, sliced into strips
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce or liquid aminos
  • 1-2 tsp. sriracha (1 1/2 tsp. was perfect for us)
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 2 tsp. sesame seeds

1. Melt oil in large skillet over high heat. Add snap peas and red pepper. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soy sauce and sriracha; cook about 3 minutes more, or until peas are tender-crisp. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and sesame seeds.

Katie (The Muffin Myth)
    April 29, 2013 at 8:14 am

I do the same thing with over-loving a food until I can’t stand to even look at it! I love the idea of these sugar snap peas, and I agree, the worst thing you can do is over cook them. I’ve got basically everything on hand except for the peas themselves, so I’ll have to grab some when I’m next out and give this a go! Thanks for another amazing recipe.

April 29, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that. 🙂 There are so many perfectly good foods that I ruined for myself by loving them way too much.

April 29, 2013 at 8:24 am

I can already smell the sriracha in the air! Did your house smell like a take out restaurant for 2 days like mine does when I cook with it? 🙂

April 29, 2013 at 9:47 am

Definitely not 2 days! I think I need to use more sriracha. 🙂

Cassie | Bake Your Day
    April 29, 2013 at 9:30 am

I have such a soft spot for Sriracha. I love this!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    April 29, 2013 at 10:22 am

My daughter’s new habit is to love the heck out of a food for one MEAL then not touch it ever again. In fact, she just did this with sugar snap peas a couple of evenings ago. I was all, “yes! a veggie she loves!” and offered them to her multiple times the next day. Wouldn’t touch ’em.

Guess that’s the beginning! 😉

This recipe is so wonderfully unfussy and colorful. And Sriracha! Perfection.

April 29, 2013 at 11:03 am

Ha! It’s all sorts of sad when a vegetarian blogger’s daughter doesn’t like eating veggies. 😉

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    April 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

I am totally the same way. I fear the day that I get tired of hummus! I don’t eat snap peas very often, but this recipe looks absolutely delish! Let’s be real…. I would eat pretty much anything that involves siracha 🙂

April 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oh I know, me too! I must have hundreds of sriracha recipe ideas floating around in my head. I hope I don’t get tired of sriracha!

Christine (Cook the Story)
    April 29, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh wow! This is the most beautiful dish I’ve seen in ages. So colorful and I know that rich sriracha spice is going to be perfect. Loving the pretty black sesame seeds on there too!

April 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thank you! I always whip out the black sesame seeds when I need to add a little something to make a photo more interesting. 🙂

christina
    April 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

I am the exact same way with food. I had been on a sriracha kick for months, using it every single day. Then it started grossing me out so I gave it up for a couple weeks. I then tried the Trader Joe’s brand (yes, it’s new!) and am obsessed all over again. It’s quite different than the Huy Fong brand (more vinegary) but I really like it! I actually just had it on snap peas last night. 🙂

April 29, 2013 at 11:04 am

Ooh, I didn’t know Trader Joe’s has their own sriracha! I’m going to have to pick that up next time I’m there.

[email protected], pleasure, and health
    April 29, 2013 at 11:57 am

simple side with so many flavor. I go through same phase and cant even stand that food but after a while I am back!

Brenda Williams
    April 29, 2013 at 1:01 pm

This recipe sounds really good and contains some of my favorite things. You are going to have the most beautiful cookbook in the world with all of your colorful recipes!

May 1, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Thank you! I’m trying to make all the photos in my book really bright and colorful. It is SO different shooting for a book vs. shooting for my blog.

Jennifer @ The Quirky Momma
    April 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I’m guilty of overloving foods! For quite some time it was my homemade hummus and cucumbers–I could not get enough! Then it moved to yogurt and granola. Now it’s fennel and kale!

I think the snap peas would be a great backyard party appetizer or even side dish.

May 1, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I have done hummus and cucumbers too! Well, hummus and just about every veggie. I rotate through the veggies, but never get tired of the hummus. 🙂

April 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Recently I have been eating LOTS of legume…still can’t get enough of them. Your veggie stir-fry looks super.

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    April 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Love the sriracha here, perfect addition to my farm stand snap peas!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious?
    April 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I’m usually not a fan of snap peas, but I think I could really like these! Yum.

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective
    April 29, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Yum! These look delish! And I love that you’ve added a little extra spicy kick! 🙂

Maria Tadic
    April 29, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I love sugar snap peas. And your’e so right – minimal cooking! I have a big basket in my fridge from the farmers market. Can’t wait to cook them up! Sriracha sounds like a good add on!

May 1, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Sriracha is a good add on to just about everything, I think! 🙂

honeywhatscooking
    April 29, 2013 at 10:22 pm

sucha great recipe… and healthy and full of flavor. Love it.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    April 29, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Girl, I am ALL over THIS.

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian
    April 29, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Such a colourful, gorgeous dish. It’s funny how many of us obsess about a food until we get sick of it. I’m in the middle of my chilli-marinated olive fetish at the moment..

May 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Ahh, I was at the store two days ago and saw those olives for the first time! I contemplated buying them, but they were $1.50 for a tiny little bag of 5 or so olives.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious
    April 30, 2013 at 10:19 am

What a fun and easy side dish! And you know I can’t resist anything with Sriracha!

Aggie
    April 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm

So funny and I totally understand! Everytime I go to Costco I come home with a huge bag and I eat them daily for days with hummus or ranch. I never cook them. This recipe sounds so good, next Costco run I’ll remember to try this out 🙂

May 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm

They are so good for snacking! 🙂

ashley - baker by nature
    April 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’m always in when sriracha is involved!

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board
    April 30, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I’ve never really gotten into sugar snap peas because I don’t like those stringy bits, but maybe I’m confusing them with snowpeas, I know there’s one type I don’t like and one I do so I just avoid them all because I can’t remember haha .. I do love the sounds of this dish though, it would be great on top of rice!

May 1, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Sugar snap peas have little strings, but I don’t think they’re too bad. But snow peas, those are the ones with the long, tough string. I always take the string off! It takes forever to do, but when I was a kid, I choked on one of those strings and I’ve been scared to eat them ever since. Scarred me for life!

mjskit
    May 1, 2013 at 12:02 am

I just bought a bunch of snap peas and I can’t wait for tomorrow night to make this recipe! These sound fabulous!

May 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I hope you like it if you make it! 🙂

Mjskit
        May 10, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Made this for supper tonight . Delicious!

May 13, 2013 at 9:30 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

May 2, 2013 at 12:46 am

I’ve come into a late-in-life love of sriracha, so I’ve got to remember this one. My dad has been eating sriracha since before I can remember, and definitely before it became trendy, but I used to reject all spicy food. And I really like snap peas too. I saw your comment on the string, which made me think of my childhood days when my mom had me de-string a huge bowl at a time. I found it so tedious and boring, and I hated almost all vegetables then anyway. lol But I don’t mind the de-stringing or the snap peas at all now.

May 3, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I don’t mind it too much either. It goes fast, at least!

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
    May 2, 2013 at 9:35 am

It’s so easy and perfect.

• 1 2