It’s summer and that means I spend about 4 hours a day thinking to myself, “What can I make with corn? I need to eat more corn.” Because I am greedy for corn. I feel like I need to eat massive amounts of it while it’s in season or winter will be full of tears and regret. Thanks to this Sweet Corn Grilled Cheese recipe from Panini Happy, I now have a new way to use corn: in sandwiches!
Corn in sandwiches is officially my new thing. (Corn on burgers is pretty good too.) Since it’s summer and everyone seems to be looking for zucchini recipes, I added some zucchini to this panini (it rhymes!) too. And then I put shredded pepper jack cheese on it, which gives me the perfect excuse to mention this:
I am in love with this thing! I bought it at IKEA back in June. It’s a regular box grater, but it has a container to catch whatever it is you’re grating. Maybe you all have one of these and I’m just behind the times, but I was deliriously happy to find this. I really like using cheese I shred myself in recipes because I find that it melts a lot better and this makes shredding cheese a whole lot easier. This whole experience has made me reevaluate my feelings on IKEA kitchen tools.
Back to the sandwich! The combination of spicy pepper jack cheese and fresh summer veggies makes these simple sandwiches flavorful and delicious. The thing I love most about cooking during the summer is that everything tastes so good, you can keep recipes simple and they still taste amazing. I mean, I will eat corn straight off the cob, uncooked, without any butter or salt! When can you do that other than summer?
This post was originally published on July 29, 2013.Print
Zucchini & Corn Panini with Pepper Jack Cheese
Panini topped with fresh corn, zucchini, and pepper jack cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread (I used a soft sourdough)
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 c. shredded pepper jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for about 15 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in the zucchini and corn and cook until the zucchini is softened (but not mushy!), about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn on your panini press and set the temperature to High. Put half of the cheese on 4 slices of bread, then top that with the veggie mixture, remaining cheese, and remaining slices of bread. Butter the tops of the sandwiches with half of the butter. Carefully place the sandwiches on the panini press, buttered side down, then butter the other side of the sandwiches and close the press. (Depending on the size of the bread and your panini press, you may have to do 2 sandwiches at a time.) Cook for 5-7 minutes or until cheese has melted and bread is toasted.
Any peppery cheese will work in this sandwich–the hotter the better! I’ve made these with Hatch Cheddar too.