Ooey, gooey, decadent, kind of crazy … this meatless Monte Cristo is definitely that. Bunny food, no. Unless your bunny happens to love uber-cheesy bliss in the form of a rich, golden brown, batter-dipped grilled cheese sandwich. It’s a big, giant, slightly smoky, melty, golden-brown, lightly sweet grilled cheese that’s just basically heaven, especially when dipped into a little strawberry jam.
Meatless Monte Cristo
A Monte Cristo for the meatless bunch. Smoked cheddar and Swiss melted between layers of egg-battered bread, and then fried until golden brown and perfectly melty. And then it’s served with strawberry jam. Yes, seriously!
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 4 slices Artisan sourdough bread
- 2 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Confectioner’s sugar and strawberry jam for serving
- Lay two pieces of bread flat and place the cheese slices on top, keeping the cheese inside the border of the bread. Top each with a second slice of bread.
- In a flat 8×8 baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. One at a time, carefully set the sandwiches in the batter for a couple of seconds each, then turn once to coat the other side. Transfer to the skillet, taking care to hold the sandwiches together.
- Cook the sandwiches until the cheese begins to melt and the bread turns golden, 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip the sandwiches over and use a spatula to gently press them down, concentrating on the edges to help seal them a bit. Cook until the second side is browned and the cheese is completely melted.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut them in half. Set on plates and dust lightly with confectioner’s sugar, if desired. Serve with strawberry jam for dipping.