Wake Up Call
What wakes you up the morning? Your kids or significant other? Maybe an alarm clock? Well, here’s what wakes me up in the morning:
My cat Mochi. He’s almost as reliable as an alarm clock, but a million times cuter. He likes to sit next to the bed and make little chirping noises until I wake up. And if I don’t wake up when he wants me to, he jumps into bed and politely taps me on the arm until I do. And really, it’s hard to get mad at him—I mean, he’s a one-eyed cat! And he chirps like a bird!
But you know what else wakes me up in the morning? A good breakfast. When I have a delicious breakfast ready and waiting for me in the morning, it’s easier to get up than on those days when I know the only thing on the menu is cold cereal. (Maybe that’s why I’ve been making so many breakfast recipes lately?) And these Mango Coconut Muffins are just that kind of wake-you-up-in-the-morning breakfast.
This recipe was inspired by my Coconut Mango Overnight Oatmeal—I wanted those same tropical flavors in the form of a muffin, so I started with my favorite Greek yogurt/oats/banana muffin base and went from there. And because I’ve heard from some readers telling me they’ve had difficulty finding whole wheat pastry flour, I’m using a half-and-half mixture of white flour and whole wheat flour this time. (Although if you do have whole wheat pastry flour, you can use a full cup of that instead of the mixture.)
With the coconut and sweet, ripe mango, these muffins taste like a treat, but the Greek yogurt and oats help you start your day off right. I made a batch of these over the weekend, froze them, and heated them in the microwave in the morning, until they were piping hot. Hello breakfast!Print
Mango Coconut Oatmeal Muffins
With the addition of coconut and fresh mango, this nutritious breakfast muffin almost tastes like a dessert.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 (6 oz) container plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced mango (about 1 large mango)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or fill with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, coconut, yogurt, banana, oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until moistened—do not over-mix! Fold in mango.
- Divide mixture evenly into muffin cups. Bake for 17–20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin