Here is a comforting recipe for a veggie version of a hearty classic. This Lentil Meatless Shepherd’s Pie is perfect for lunches and busy evenings. The lentils in this pie provide a source of affordable and nutritious protein.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large celery finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 3 –4 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the carrots, lentils, pepper, corn, and water. Mix well.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and cook until the mixture is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add milk and season with salt and pepper. Add a touch of water if the preparation seems too dry. Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- In another pot, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Mash with the milk and 3 tablespoons of butter. Season to taste.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture in casserole dish. Serve.