This healthy dairy-free chocolate orange mousse is made with tofu and flavored with dark chocolate, ground cardamom, and fresh orange juice and zest. Yum!
There's something I just love about cardamom. It's such a warm and comforting flavor. Maybe because it's often used in chai or in Scandinavian breads. It's one of those strong flavors that people tend to love or hate, but I've always loved it.
Pairing it with orange is fairly standard, but after trying it in chocolate gelato, I became enamored with the chocolate/cardamom combination - and that's what inspired this Cardamom-Spiced Orange Chocolate Mousse.
I used my Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse recipe as a starting point and added fresh orange juice and zest, as well as a heaping teaspoon full of cardamom.
It's enough of the spice to add a little warm and fuzzy to this vegan chocolate mousse without adding too much overpowering flavor.
The result is light and refreshing, and makes a delicious healthy dessert!
If you love this orange-chocolate mousse, check out these other tasty ideas:
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Easy Blueberry Mousse
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse
- 1 3 oz high quality dark chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- 1 12.3 oz package shelf-stable firm silken tofu (like Mori-Nu), cut into large chunks
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp agave nectar maple syrup, or honey (if you're not vegan)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- zest from 1 whole orange
- Place chocolate bar pieces in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 20 second intervals until melted (stirring after each interval). You can use a double-boiler instead if you prefer.
- Combine tofu and orange juice in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process until well-combined. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.