Avocado Chocolate Mousse is a rich and velvety chocolate mousse that will blow you away. Dark chocolate, fresh avocado, cocoa powder, and more come together to make a healthy chocolate mousse.
You can make this mousse for a mid-day treat or even an after-dinner dessert. This recipe comes together really fast. All you have to do is wait for the avocado mousse to set up in the fridge.
This vegan chocolate mousse is super creamy and full of chocolate flavor. For a lighter option, you can always whip up a batch of easy blueberry mousse, too!
This Avocado Chocolate Mousse Is...
- Made with Simple Ingredients
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Start by melting your chocolate. Use either a double boiler or microwave to heat the chocolate.
- Add all your ingredients to a bowl, and then whip together until creamy.
- Once your mousse is blended, pour in a bowl or single-serve containers. Refrigerate as directed.
The full directions and measurements for ingredients are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips and Tricks
This mousse is so fantastic that you can essentially top it with anything—chopped nuts, shredded coconut, fresh fruit, vegan cream, and so much more. Or go plain and eat it as is. No matter how you choose to serve it up, your avocado mousse will be a hit.
Sweetening The Mousse
In the recipe, I give the option to use a sweetener of your choice to add sweetness. While mixing, taste the mixture to see if it is what you want, or add a little sweetener to elevate the sweetness. Agave nectar, liquid sweetener, or even maple syrup are great alternative sweeteners.
Add in a little of your chosen sweetener at a time and test it. I recommend 1–3 teaspoons of a sweetener.
Use A Stick Blender
Having a stick blender or mixer is very important for this recipe. You want your mousse to have a creamy texture without clumps of avocado in the mixture. If you have clumps, you will find that it won't have that classic mousse texture or flavor you are looking for.
If you don't own a stick blender, you can use a fork to mash the avocado. Just make sure you really mash that avocado well! Then use a whisk to incorporate all the other ingredients. This method will just take a bit more elbow grease.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse FAQs
How can you tell when avocados are ripe?
Ripe avocados will be a darker color and feel soft when you gently squeeze them. If you find that the avocado feels mushy, then it might be over-ripe. Watch out for blemishes or bruising.
Should you refrigerate avocados?
Fresh avocados can be stored at room temperature on the counter. You will find if your avocado is ripe, you can store it for around 1–3 days in the refrigerator. The fridge will help to slow down the ripening, allowing you more time to use your avocados before they go bad.
How long can you store avocado mousse?
You can store this chocolate avocado mousse in the fridge for 3–5 days. You need to make sure it is stored in an airtight container. Otherwise, your mousse might spoil.
- Microwave option: Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Put the bowl of chocolate chips into the microwave for 30 seconds on high power. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the chocolate. Place the bowl back for another 30 seconds on high power. After this, keep microwaving the chocolate chips on high power for 10-second increments, stirring in between every time until the chocolate is smooth and fully melted.
- Stove option (the one I’ve used): To melt chocolate on the stovetop, place the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. This method keeps the chocolate away from direct heat, which allows it to melt at a low enough temperature to prevent scorching and separating.
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients with the melted chocolate.
- Use a stick blender to pulse mixture until you have a smooth mousse. For a better consistency, refrigerate for 1–2 hours before serving.
- Optional: garnish with shredded coconut, fruit, or vegan cream.