This post may contain affiliate links. Learn more here.
Drinks/ Recipes/ Reviews/ Snacks/ Vegan/ vegan recipes/ vegetarian recipes

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie + Vitamix TurboBlend VS Review

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie

Since starting Oh My Veggies, I’ve had a few readers ask me if I used or recommended buying a Vitamix blender. Vitamix sells a package, the TurboBlend VS, that’s targeted to vegetarians, vegans, and raw foods enthusiasts and I suppose that’s why the question comes up. But until now, I haven’t been able to answer it. And in all honesty, I always thought I was set with my hand blender and food processor. When our previous blender broke several years ago, I didn’t see the need to replace it and we got along fine without it–the hand blender worked great for soups and soft smoothies, and I used the food processor for everything else.

The problem with this comparison is that my old blender wasn’t a high-powered one. It was clunky, things would never blend very well, and it had a tendency to leak everywhere, which is what ultimately did it in–it leaked into the vent in back and stopped working. A blender like the Vitamix TurboBlend has a stronger motor and sharper blade, allowing it to blend more thoroughly and a lot faster too. And it shows in the price–the Vitamix TurboBlend VS is $449. That’s a lot for any small kitchen appliance, particularly a blender.

Vitamix TurboBlend VS
Because I’ve been using other kitchen appliances instead of a blender for the past few years, here’s how the Vitamix compares to each:

Vitamix TurboBlend vs. My Food Processor

When making smoothies with frozen ingredients, I had been using my food processor. The Vitamix performs much better–it blends everything smoothly in much less time than it takes with my food processor. The tamper definitely helps! Instead of having to scrape down the sides of the food processor, I can use the tamper to push any chunks of fruit towards the blade. For this same reason, I prefer the Vitamix for dips, sauces, and spreads–you can use the tamper while the blender is on, whereas with a food processor, you have to turn the blades off, take off the lid, and scrape the sides of the container every so often.

So smoothies, dips, and sauces are definitely better with the Vitamix. But my biggest disappointment with the TurboBlend is how it compares with my food processor in making almond butter. I was really hoping that I could use the Vitamix for that because, while my food processor does a great job making nut butters, it takes a little time and I’m crazy impatient. I had trouble getting the Vitamix to cooperate when I wanted to use it for almond butter, though. I followed their instructions to a T and the blade kept getting stuck. Using the tamper only made it worse–it compacted the almonds. I tried loosening them and then the motor stopped completely. I was sure at this point that I had broken my blender, but luckily the Vitamix has a safety mechanism that will shut off the motor if it’s in danger of overheating. This is good news for my TurboBlend, but bad news for me–I wanted almond butter! I had to finish it in my food processor.

Vitamix TurboBlend vs. My Hand Blender

Although I haven’t tried it, you can make heated soups in the Vitamix–the blender will actually heat your soup as it purees. This completely blows my mind. The blender! Cooks! The soup! But for soups made on the stovetop, I will continue to use my hand blender, simply because it’s much easier to stick that in a pot of soup than transfer it in batches to my blender.

But with smoothies, the Vitamix outperforms the hand blender. When I make smoothies with soft ingredients, I like to use my hand blender. It works well, but the Vitamix gets the smoothie a lot smoother much more quickly. What really amazed me was using raspberries in it–there was no trace of seeds left when I was done making my smoothie.

Vitamix TurboBlend VS Container
The Vitamix TurboBlend VS can also be used as a juicer. I don’t have a juicer myself, so I have no basis of comparison, but what I like about the Vitamix is that it allows for whole food juicing, keeping the fiber in the drink. (If this really bothers you, you could strain it through the filtration bag, though.) This could be a plus or a minus, depending on how you like your juice. Some people like traditional juicing because they feel they get more concentrated nutrients without the pulp, while I’m more in the “I don’t want to buy $10 worth of produce for 6 ounces of juice” camp.

The VS in TurboBlend VS stands for variable speed, which is a feature I really love. I know some other blenders have buttons to adjust speeds, but I like the control the variable speed dial gives me. The TurboBlend VS comes with a recipe book, an instructional DVD, a tamper, and a filtration bag. Most of the recipes included in the book are suitable for vegan and raw diets.

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie
So should the Vitamix be a staple in every vegetarian or vegan kitchen? I’d say no. If you break out the blender two or three times a year to make margaritas, you can make due with a lower priced model. But if you drink a lot of smoothies, want to get into juicing without buying a dedicated juicer, or are a cooking enthusiast in general, I think the Vitamix TurboBlend VS is a good investment. From the research I’ve done, it’s not uncommon for them to last decades, even with frequent use.

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie

I’ve definitely upped my smoothie intake since getting my Vitamix and this recipe is my absolute favorite. Green smoothies are one of those things you either love or hate, but I think this one could win over some haters. Because who doesn’t love dreamsicles?!

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie

Green Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie Recipe

Using frozen orange wedges in this healthy green smoothie makes it thick and creamy.

• Yield: 1 large or 2 small smoothies 1x
Scale

• 1 c. non-dairy milk (vanilla flavored will work, but my favorite is Blue Diamond’s almond & coconut blend)
  • 2 small oranges, cut into wedges, peeled and frozen
  • about 5 small kale leaves (or a handful of spinach)
  • sweetener of choice to taste, if desired

1. Combine all ingredients in blender, pouring milk in first. Using the variable speed dial, start out at 1 and slowly increase speed to 10. Once large chunks have been pureed, switch to high speed and continue to blend until completely smooth.

Disclosure: I received a Vitamix TurboBlend VS for the purpose of this review.

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    February 8, 2013 at 12:18 am

My grandma has a Vitamix she bought 30 years ago that still works like a dream!

February 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

That’s why I don’t mind investing in expensive kitchen equipment–I swear I used to spend much more when I bought the cheap stuff and was replacing it every few years!

Heather McClees
    February 8, 2013 at 12:21 am

I just bought my second Vitamix today ( same model – Turboblend VS), after having to sell my first one a couple years ago. I have missed it so! I LOVE this machine. While I don’t use it for nut butters, when I make 2-3 smoothies a day, this machine is a MUST have. Thanks for sharing this review! I think it will help readers tremendously in deciding what they need or don’t need, to purchase! PS- I’m a vegetarian and just love your website!:)

February 8, 2013 at 10:27 am

Yeah, I think it’s worth the price for anyone who uses their blender frequently. I drink a lot of smoothies too and it’s amazing how, well, SMOOTH they are when I make them in the Vitamix. Even with fruit that has seeds!

Shannon @ moveeatcreate.wordpress.com
    February 8, 2013 at 1:02 am

I’ve never had a Vitamix but have heard such great things about them. It’s on my ‘someday when I can’ list of things I really want!

Also, I just discovered your blog and am loving it. So glad to have found your site!

Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    February 8, 2013 at 7:10 am

This sounds really good, but I have to admit that the color of it is a bit off putting.

February 8, 2013 at 9:27 am

I don’t have Vitamix, but I guess any blender will do the work. The smoothie looks super!

Good luck with the Homie!! I am off to vote!

February 8, 2013 at 9:32 am

I just voted ..now you have 70 votes 😉
    Good luck, Kiersten.

February 8, 2013 at 10:00 am

Thank you, Angie! 🙂

February 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Ooo that looks so refreshing!

February 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I would drink anything named “dreamsicle” even if I didn’t like kale (and I do like green smoothies, so the name just makes it even more appealing for me)! I’ve been thinking about getting a Vitamix for a while now but I just can’t decide if it would be worth the cost for me, especially since I have a good food processor already. But your review is making me want one again!

February 11, 2013 at 9:50 am

I think it’s definitely worth the cost if you cook a lot. Or if you make a lot of smoothies! 🙂 I’ve been using mine almost daily since getting it.

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    February 8, 2013 at 5:51 pm

That’s disappointing about the almond butter. My fancy pants blender comes with a specific jar to help make butters so I’m saving up for it. I never would have thought of kale and orange but it sounds yummy.

February 11, 2013 at 9:48 am

Well, other people are telling me that they make nut butters with the Vitamix without a problem, so I’m convinced that I did something wrong or maybe I had some really stubborn almonds. 🙂

HilLesha
    February 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Sounds like a dream!

NaanBread
    February 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Ooh! This one is so interesting! Gonna have to try this..

Jeanette
    February 9, 2013 at 10:24 am

We love our Vitamix blender and make smoothies in it all the time – I love your idea of a green orange dreamsicle smoothie – will have to give this a whirl!

Brian @ A Thought For Food
    February 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I definitely think I’d drink more smoothies (and margaritas :-)) if I had a Vitamix. Looks fantastic!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious
    February 10, 2013 at 1:38 am

Oh man – you sold me – I really need to get my hands on this Vitamix TurboBlend!

Anne - Mommy Has to Work
    February 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I would love a better blender!! This looks great!

Christa
    February 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I want to like Green Smoothies but so far I haven’t found one I can tolerate! Maybe this will be it!?

February 11, 2013 at 9:35 am

Even my husband likes this one. 🙂 If it’s the flavor of the greens that bothers you, adding just a small handful of spinach to a fruit smoothie might be a good place to start–it’s so mild, you don’t taste it.

Katie
    February 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm

my sister-in-law swears by her Vitamix she got for Xmas. Clearly I’m not a huge foodie as I never really realized the difference a good blender can make!

February 11, 2013 at 9:34 am

It really makes a difference! When I had a normal blender, I hardly ever used it, but I’m using my Vitamix almost everyday now.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.
    February 10, 2013 at 9:10 pm

LOVE THIS

Sarah
    February 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I own a Vitamix too and they are awesome. I use mine like 2-3 times every day making smoothies in between meals. Haven’t tried the recipe you just posted yet, but it sounds good. Will be making it soon!

February 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

OK, I am totally impressed that you received a blender, yet your verdict is not 100% glowing — not a staple! Is there ever any kind of pressure with these sponsorship deals? I guess that’s why I wouldn’t be allowed to do them, and I’d definitely feel pressured to say only nice things. Also like the report and comparisons. No raspberry seeds in the end is amazing. I don’t have a blender either, but I do have a stick blender. Also, my obsession with your soaked-oats smoothies has finally slowed down, but I still like to make them before a morning workout because they’re quick, healthy, and not too heavy.

February 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Well, this wasn’t a sponsored post, just an editorial review. With an editorial review, you’re free to write whatever you like, good or bad. Although I know some bloggers still feel that, because they receive a free product, they’re obligated to write only positive things about it…

Carin
    March 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

I own a VitaMix Turbo and I love it as well but I recently bought a Magic Bullet – Nutri Bullet which is so much cheaper and performs like a mini VitaMix sometimes even better on a smaller scale. That thing pulverizes kale like nothing I have ever seen, it is portable in the same cup you make your smoothie in. Try it – BB&B has them and you can use a coupon, also Kohl’s has them and they are also coupon eligible…

March 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm

My mother-in-law uses a Magic Bullet and she loves it too. 🙂

Erika
    May 21, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I’m planning on doing a detox and recipes are totally in my list!!

Robyn
    October 11, 2015 at 8:56 am

There’s a link on this page that I accidentally clicked on and took me to a virus filled page! Don’t know which one cause it was mistakenly pressed.

Sabra McCraw
    February 7, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Love this!! Thank you;)

Sabra McCraw
    February 7, 2017 at 5:12 pm

This is great Thank you!!

• 1 2 3