This easy vegan cashew cheese is sliceable, spreadable, and incredibly flavourful - a definite must-have recipe for plant based cooking! This vegan cheese is a great dairy substitute and only requires 10 ingredients. Perfect with crackers or in sandwiches.
Finally, a new year is here! For many people, 2021 is starting with Veganuary - a popular challenge to try out veganism in January. I’ve been vegan for 5 years and I’m constantly asked about what I eat. Therefore, as I mentioned, this month, I’ll be posting a series of easy recipes to introduce you to some of my favorite vegan staples, like this sliceable cashew cheese. After all, cruelty-free and free-from dishes can still be full of flavor!
In case you missed it, a few days ago I shared my go-to falafel recipe that's gluten-free and delicious, so you may want to check that out as well.
Many new vegans say cheese is one of the foods they miss and perhaps this is because shop-bought substitutes often miss the mark. Most supermarkets are yet to create a perfect cheese replica, like they have with mylk and chick’n. But, that's why making your own vegan cashew cheese can be a much more appealing option!
About this easy vegan cashew cheese
This sliceable cashew cheese is a delicious alternative to satisfy those dairy cravings. It's super easy to make and only requires 10 natural ingredients, while still having a strong cheesy flavor. You'll be blown away by how creamy this cashew cheese it - each bite literally melts in your mouth.
It's so versatile because you can use it as a sandwich filling, on a cheese board, on crackers or even melted over pizzas. Yes, you heard me right - it melts! Although, it may not distribute like dairy cheese, but it still turns decadently gooey if grilled. It can even be grated, as long as you handle it gently.
Why make this sliceable cashew cheese?
- Perfect for Veganuary.
- Really tasty.
- Sliceable and spreadable.
- Easy to make.
- Proudly cruelty-free which makes it taste even better.
- Perfect for a cheese board.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Only requires 10 ingredients.
Ingredients you will need
- Cashews. Blended cashews create a great base for sauces, dips and soups as they're so creamy - just make sure you soak the cashews for 4-6 hours first.
- Lemon juice.
- Smoked paprika.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder.
- Agar agar. Agar agar is used to thicken and stabilise the cashew cheese. It's made from seaweed (but don't worry, it doesn't taste like it!) and can be found in larger supermarkets or health stores.
How to make this easy sliceable cashew cheese
Firstly, soften the cashews. If you are using a high speed blender like a Vitamix, you can simmer them in a saucepan for 15 minutes. Otherwise, I would recommend soaking them in cool water for 4-6 hours, but no more than 8.
Drain and rinse the cashews and transfer them to a blender or food processor. Now add the lemon juice, ⅓ cup water, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric and salt. Blend this until it's very smooth.
Next, add the rest of the water and the agar agar to a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Whisk until a thick gel-like consistency forms to activate the agar agar.
Then quickly transfer the activated agar agar to the blender and blend once again to combine.
Pour the cheese into a lightly greased mould of your choice. Then leave to set in the fridge for 6-8 hours before removing and serving.
You could serve this easy sliceable cashew cheese…
- Melted over this Meatless Feast Vegan Pizza
- On a cheeseboard next to this Baked Vegan Cashew Cheese and Simple Vegan Mozzarella served with grapes and crackers
- Grated over pasta dishes, like this nutritious Easy Pea and Avocado Pesto
- For lunch as a simple sandwich, gooey toastie or on top of a Vegan Lentil Burger
Storing and freezing
If you manage not to demolish the block in one sitting, then this easy sliceable cashew cheese can be refrigerated, in an airtight container, for one week. Alternatively, it’s suitable for freezing for up to 2 months. However, I’d recommend grating or slicing before freezing, otherwise the cashew cheese may be too crumbly to do so once it’s defrosted.
Other easy Veganuary recipes
- Vegan Falafel (Gluten-free)
- Easy Vegan Jackfruit Curry
- Chickpea Shepherd’s Pie
- Easy Vegan Chili Recipe (Gluten-free)
Let me know: are you taking part in Veganuary this year? If you make this sliceable cashew cheese then please tag me on Instagram (@earthofmariaa) so I can see your creations. Also, remember to comment on this recipe and leave a star rating if you have any feedback!
- High speed blender
- Firstly, soften the cashews. If you are using a high speed blender like a Vitamix, you can simmer them in a saucepan for 15 minutes. Otherwise, I would recommend soaking them in cool water for 4-6 hours, but no more than 8.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and transfer them to a blender or food processor. Now add the smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice and ⅓ cup water. Blend until very smooth.
- Add the rest of the water and the agar agar to a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Whisk until a thick gel-like consistency forms to activate the agar agar.
- Quickly transfer the activated agar agar to the blender and blend once again to combine.
- Pour the cheese into a lightly greased mould of your choice. Leave to set in the fridge for 6-8 hours before removing and serving.