Side dishes got a whole lot tastier with this crunchy vegan coleslaw! This coleslaw recipe is vegan friendly and made with red and white cabbage, carrots, non-dairy yogurt, white wine vinegar and topped with crunchy walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
This Crunchy Vegan Coleslaw Recipe Is...
- Vegan Side Dish
- Easy to Make
- No Mayo Coleslaw Recipe
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
How to Make Crunchy Vegan Coleslaw
Full steps on how to make this vegan crunchy coleslaw is in the printable recipe card below.
- In a large bowl you are going to add in your chopped veggies, walnuts and pepitas.
- Next toss in the dairy free yogurt and the vinegar. Toss to coat.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Helpful Tips for Making Crunchy Vegan Coleslaw
I like to thinly slice the cabbage. You can buy pre-shredded cabbage if you want to cut a corner on prep. The key is to make sure the cabbage is shredded into thin even slices.
Serve Right After It Is Made
You will want to toss it together and then serve it right after. This isn't like a traditional coleslaw where it needs to be refrigerated for a few hours before you eat it.
Variations to Crunchy Vegan Coleslaw
Instead of pumpkin seeds consider tossing in some sunflower seeds. It will give a nice crunchy factor.
You can use one variety of cabbage if you don't want to use both for this recipe. I loved the mix of the red and white cabbage.
You can swap the white wine vinegar with a white distilled vinegar or even a red wine vinegar if you want. I find all of these vinegars work great.
Leave out the walnuts or swap with slivered almonds or another type of nut if you want.
Crunchy Vegan Coleslaw FAQs
Can I use any style of yogurt for this recipe?
Make sure it is a non-dairy plain yogurt. You don't want any flavor to the yogurt as it will alter the coleslaw.
How to store vegan coleslaw?
If you do not eat all the coleslaw simply store in an airtight container in the fridge. This will store for 2-3 days. You will find as the coleslaw sits the cabbage and veggies will become less crunchy.
How far in advance can you shred cabbage?
You can shred your cabbage up to 2-3 days in advance. Just place in an airtight sealed bag and store in the fridge. I recommend not going over the 2 day mark, as day 3 can become a bit softer in texture.
- 2 ½ cups white cabbage shredded
- 2 ½ cups red cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrots peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup scallions sliced
- ¾ cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tbsp pepitas pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the red cabbage, white cabbage, carrots, scallions. walnuts, and pepitas.
- Add the dairy free yogurt and white wine vinegar. Toss until evenly coated.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- To make in advance, toss together all ingredients except for the dairy free yogurt and vinegar. Add those and toss just prior to serving.