Dive into this crunchy Asian slaw with a sesame ginger dressing that is sweet, tangy, and loaded with flavor. An easy summer side dish, top tacos, or even top with grilled chicken and make into a salad. There are so many ways to eat this simple Asian slaw.
This recipe is light, refreshing, and colorful. This is a twist to a classic coleslaw with the Asian inspired flavors. So don't wait try this recipe today for dinner, or even take to your next summer cookout. Try my fennel coleslaw as another easy side.
This Crunchy Asian Slaw Is....
- Easy Side Dish
- Ready in 10 Minutes
- Sweet and Tangy
- Homemade Dressing
Ways to Eat Asian Slaw
- Side Dish
- Taco Topping
- Top with chicken for a salad
- Top pulled pork sandwich or burger
How to Make Asian Slaw
Full directions for this crunchy Asian slaw are in the recipe card, this is a quick through on how to make.
- Start by adding your coleslaw, carrots, and red peppers in a bowl. Set aside.
- Then in a bowl you are going to add all ingredients for the dressing. Mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw, top with green onions and almonds.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours then serve.
Helpful Tips For Success
Prep In Advance
Make sure you allow time for your salad to have time to sit after you mixed it up. This allows the marinade to soak into the cabbage mixture.
Toss Between Servings
Once your salad has been refrigerated you will want to make sure to toss your slaw so that all the flavors incorporate again. As the dressing will drop to the bottom.
Now if you do not want to use a coleslaw mix you can finely chop a green or green and red cabbage to make your own slaw mix. Either method will work for this recipe.
Variations to Asian Slaw Recipe
So I used my own homemade dressing. You are more than welcome to purchase your favorite bottle of Asian inspired dressing.
So I used bell peppers and carrots, but you can add in other vegetables if you want. Feel free to look at your produce you have on hand and toss in. Even some sliced up zucchini would be delicious.
If you don't want to use soy sauce you can swap with coconut aminos in replace. Just measure out and mix as you would soy sauce.
Asian Slaw FAQs
Can I make this slaw mix in advance?
You can make this Asian slaw a day in advance of when you plan to serve it. Just full assemble and store in the fridge. The right before serving add in your almonds. That way they stay crunchy.
How long does this slaw last?
You can store any leftovers of the slaw for up to 5 days in the fridge. Just make sure to cover in an airtight container in the fridge. After a few days it will begin to not be as crunchy when you eat it.
Can I add chicken to this slaw to make into a salad?
Of course! You can cook up grilled or crispy chicken and then slice into strips and top the slaw right before serving. This is a great way to make into a meal if you want something light.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coleslaw mix, carrots, and red pepper; set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, and garlic.
- Then pour over the slaw mix and toss until fully coated.
- Top with almonds and green onion, serve immediately or allow to sit in fridge for 2-3 hours before serving.